Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:43 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times

Advertisements

When the Left warns you about what they think the right will do, you instantly know that they are the ones planning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:46 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I don't see that happening. The Trump administration is too ineffective to accomplish anything and the next administration will have its hands full cleaning up the mess Trump left behind.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:46 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Trump's rhetoric has certainly had fascist flavors in the past, but I don't think we're ultimately going down that road. He certainly set those alarms off in my head before the election, but since then I've been less worried. I think his complete incompetence has made him less threatening. Also, from what I've seen from Republican politicians since November, ultimately I don't think they would allow a Trump to become a dictator, no matter how much he may wish to be one.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Anyone who thinks fascism is right-wing is ignorant of actual History.

And currently, remind yourselves who's shutting down Free Speech in Berkeley and other college campuses: the Left.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think it could easily happen via a coup in Washington and I think it might be something we might face whenever Trump leaves office, be it by impeachment, resignation, or him serving out his Presidency until 2020 or 2024.

When it happens, I am worried about severe oppression for anyone who doesn't conform or is perceived as an enemy of the state. This will include atheists, scientists, liberal historians, the LGBT community, Muslims, etc. Society will likely be a cross between "A Handmaids Tale" and "V for Vendetta." I can easily see the Southern Baptist Convention being absorbed by the new government and becoming the state church. Media and the Internet will be heavily controlled and censored by the state.

Why could this happen? A large percentage of Americans have lost faith in our system of government and believe the only option is to burn the entire thing down and start over. They realize there is no rolling back Roe v Wade, marriage equality, or forcing cultural Christianity and traditional values on everyone within the confines of our current system of government. They will need a new, right-wing authoritarian government to accomplish their goals. Whether Trump serves out his Presidency or not, it's very likely that a Democrat will be elected in 2020 or 2024 and when that happens, I don't think the far right will be able to accept it. We are already seeing more and more calls for revolution from the far right. We are headed to a very dire place in this country.

I am beginning to wonder if progressives need to start thinking about getting or renewing their passports so we can escape once the coup happens.

Maybe the Baptists were right when they were preaching that gay marriage would be the end of our country. It's simply happening in a different way than they expected.
" I think"

I wouldn't do that too hard, you might hurt something.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There will be no revolt from either side.
This. No ones going to revolt. Revolution requires a large number of folks to think that would be a good idea. So far only fringe folks think that. Could see some terrorism though.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:55 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
I think it could easily happen via a coup in Washington and I think it might be something we might face whenever Trump leaves office, be it by impeachment, resignation, or him serving out his Presidency until 2020 or 2024.

When it happens, I am worried about severe oppression for anyone who doesn't conform or is perceived as an enemy of the state. This will include atheists, scientists, liberal historians, the LGBT community, Muslims, etc. Society will likely be a cross between "A Handmaids Tale" and "V for Vendetta." I can easily see the Southern Baptist Convention being absorbed by the new government and becoming the state church. Media and the Internet will be heavily controlled and censored by the state.

Why could this happen? A large percentage of Americans have lost faith in our system of government and believe the only option is to burn the entire thing down and start over. They realize there is no rolling back Roe v Wade, marriage equality, or forcing cultural Christianity and traditional values on everyone within the confines of our current system of government. They will need a new, right-wing authoritarian government to accomplish their goals. Whether Trump serves out his Presidency or not, it's very likely that a Democrat will be elected in 2020 or 2024 and when that happens, I don't think the far right will be able to accept it. We are already seeing more and more calls for revolution from the far right. We are headed to a very dire place in this country.

I am beginning to wonder if progressives need to start thinking about getting or renewing their passports so we can escape once the coup happens.

Maybe the Baptists were right when they were preaching that gay marriage would be the end of our country. It's simply happening in a different way than they expected.
I certainly hope we are headed toward some kind of political re-alignment or upheaval. Our current system only works for the benefit of billionaires and corporations. Hopefully the upheaval will be peaceful like the formation of the New Deal Coalition in the 1930s. More than likely though, we the 99% will keep fighting amongst ourselves over "God, Guns & Gays,"and Abortion, while the top 1% pounds the final nails in our coffin.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2quonm59Kc

Old 06-06-2017, 02:00 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
You've surely been watching The Handmaid's Tale too much.

I'm more concerned about the global collectivist agenda and what happens between 2020 and 2035. I'm more concerned about the World Economic Forum / Agenda 2030 types. I'm more concerned about the regressive left and its impact on society and culture. I'm more concerned about rampant automation of physical and intellectual work and the potential for the instantiation of general superintelligence.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 06-06-2017 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 02:07 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm more concerned about the global left-wing collectivist agenda and what happens between 2020 and 2035. I'm far more concerned about the World Economic Forum / Agend 2030 types. I'm more concerned about the regressive left and its impact on society and culture. I'm more concerned about rampant automation of physical and intellectual work and the potential for the instantiation of general superintelligence.
Left-wing collectivist agenda? What century are you living in? Communism died in the early 1990s. Now we have global capitalism where workers everywhere must compete with slave labor in third world countries. It's a conservative's wet dream.

What are you upset about? You've won!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies