Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 12:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
See my post above. She is a vet.

She gets an automatic preference in federal jobs be it with government or contractors.
I know she was a vet

Lots of vets out there without that kind of security clearance...and if there is maybe we need to review our security clearance procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 12:15 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
yawn. You folks are getting some "OMG its the Deep State!" excitement going on here. lol. Nope its just some lady who thinks we should know that hey the Russians REALLY are getting up in our elections.

And she isn't wrong. Up until now most have you have gone on and on about how there is no evidence, and anonymous sources arent good enough, etc etc.

And now that we know the truth, many of you focus on punishing the person who made it so that we do know.

Do you have any idea how 1984'ish you guys sound? I mean...seriously?
Following your "OMG it's the deep state!" line of reasoning, there is a large difference in acknowledging Russian hacking, and attribution of any collusion with the Trump administration. That's the alternate conspiracy theory on the other side of the spectrum.

Additionally, there was no new information contained in what she leaked. It's already been established that there were hacking/phishing/spear phishing/whaling attempts related to the election.

Bottom line, personal politics should never influence handling of classified data. Those cheering Winner for her actions would have condemned a right leaning activist that did the same thing under Obama.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:17 PM

348 posts, read 255,808 times
Quote:
Not sure if you all mentioned in the thread, but she is actually an Air Force veteran. Veterans get top dibs and extra points in federal positions. They also, depending on their jobs in the military, would be given a preference by a federal contractor due to being a vet and also having DoD experience.

On the whole MSM not talking about this, I first heard about it on CBS.

I found the story very odd considering the background of this woman. She has a top clearance and is a vet and I'm surprised, that if this is true, she would be so dumb. Most federal employees I know don't even use social media who are DoD affiliated.
She was smart enough to set up a stealth twitter account so they could not track her political rantings. I guess that is what people do when they MUST be vocal on social media.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:25 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I know she was a vet

Lots of vets out there without that kind of security clearance...and if there is maybe we need to review our security clearance procedures.
She specialized in linguistics and was fluent in 3 languages besides English, some of which are rare for people to be fluent in. Those skills along with a good service record would get her a very good, top secret position.

I'll note that it is interesting that the OP is calling her a "deep state fascist" lol.

Wonder what he/she said about Manning and Snowden. This is similar to what they did IMO.

FWIW, I don't think any contractor or public employee should release classified information and that, if true, she should be imprisoned. But information I 've seen showed that she was one of 6 people identified. Who were the others and why is only she being arrested/investigated.

I'll have to read more about it. I just heard a bit about this case from the CBS morning show.

I do know that information she allegedly leaked showed that Russians attempted to hack our voting systems

From the Daily Mail (which is a source of the OP link)

Quote:
a top secret NSA document revealed efforts by Russian military intelligence to conduct a spear phishing cyber attack on a company and on local voter registration.

'Russian General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate actors … executed cyber espionage operations against a named U.S. company in August 2016, evidently to obtain information on elections-related software and hardware solutions,' according to the document the Intercept published.

'The actors likely used data obtained from that operation to … launch a voter registration-themed spear-phishing campaign targeting U.S. local government organizations.'

The Intercept story states that the documents raise the possibility that Russian-based hackers 'may have breached at least some elements of the voting system,' bringing the investigation of election interference to a new level.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 06-07-2017, 12:26 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
FWIW, I don't think any contractor or public employee should release classified information and that, if true, she should be imprisoned. But information I 've seen showed that she was one of 6 people identified. Who were the others and why is only she being arrested/investigated.

I'll have to read more about it. I just heard a bit about this case from the CBS morning show.

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
In tracking the information, they found it was released to 6 people. Of the 6, she was the only one who printed it. Think that's what I heard.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
She was smart enough to set up a stealth twitter account so they could not track her political rantings. I guess that is what people do when they MUST be vocal on social media.
Stealth Twitter account? She set it up under her real name.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
In tracking the information, they found it was released to 6 people. Of the 6, she was the only one who printed it. Think that's what I heard.
Information in the Daily Mail stated that 6 people printed the document.

Like I said, it is an odd situation.

That site also stated that she admitted to printing it out it didn't say anything about the others. But the fact that there were 5 people IMO would lead me to believe there was some sort of team work going on in that organization and that other people are scapegoating her who are involved.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:36 PM

348 posts, read 255,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Stealth Twitter account? She set it up under her real name.
Her real name is Reality Leigh Winner and the alias twitter account was setup under Sara Winner.
I don't know if she changed her name but have read no article stating she was born Sara. The article I read said she used the alias name to ensure her social media comments would fall under the radar.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:38 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Seems like Mrs. Winner gave birth to Reality Loser!
Yes and the gov't should make a deal with her. Permanently and legally change your name to Reality Loser and we'll drop the charges.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
yawn. You folks are getting some "OMG its the Deep State!" excitement going on here. lol. Nope its just some lady who thinks we should know that hey the Russians REALLY are getting up in our elections.

And she isn't wrong.

Well if she isn't wrong then she shouldn't go to jail, right?
wrong. 10 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies