Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You can go into obnoxious mode and start bashing these people, but it is actually a very interesting constitutional and legal issue (if you are into the logic and theory of law).

Trump has chosen to make Twitter his public forum and mode of communication, so he has indeed brought up issues of free speech and the constitutional rights of other Twitter users. If Trump wants to use alternative methods of communication, he will have to deal with the implications of blocking the free speech of people on said public forums.

These types of lawsuits are quite interesting in regard to legal precedents.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN18X2LR
Absolutely right on all counts. This will be a big constitutional issue and is not comparable to any other tweeter. Trump is the president of all the people. He is disseminating policy in the form of tweets. To deny access to all who do not agree with his policy is going to be a clear constitutional issue of first amendment rights and other constitutional issues concerning the freedom of information act.

What if the government refused to start releasing freedom of information requests only to people who disagree with their policies? Then orgs like Judicial Watch, who have made a business out of demanding freedom of information material to go after leading democrats would be out of business.

There's a lot more to this than meets the eye, constitutionally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Any examples?
Here are some:
Donald Trump's Most Ridiculous Lawsuits | Fortune.com

Here are some more:
Donald J. Trump Is A Libel Bully But Also A Libel Loser

The best is when he sued author Timothy O'Brien for writing in his book that Trump was not a billionaire. The case was tossed in large part due to Trump's own testimony that he could not prove he was a billionaire, that he was only worth about $150 million to $250 million:

Trump was even more unreliable in his testimony about his net worth:
Q: Now Mr. Trump, have you always been completely truthful in your public statements about your net worth of properties?
A: I try.
Q: Have you ever been not truthful?
A: My net worth fluctuates, and it goes up and down with markets and with attitudes and feelings, even my own feelings but I try.
Q: Let me just understand that a little bit. Let's talk about that for a second. You said that the net worth goes up and down based on your own feelings?
A: Yes ...

Trump could not even produce a bank statement proving he was worth over $1 billion. This is all he had to do. Truth is an absolute winner in libel cases. And he could not even prove he had $1 billion or assets worth that much.

This one is part of the reason why Trump hates the media, the NY Times v Sullivan Supreme Court ruling covering public figures outlining libel and actual malice.

Here is the whole list of Trump's legal activities:

https://www.usatoday.com/pages/inter...rump-lawsuits/

Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Twitter has become the public square and although a public company, they may could very well be held under 1st amendment restrictions.
LOLOLOLOL. Bentbow sticking up for the federal government limiting 1st amendment restrictions.....

Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Look, Trump has every right to block whom he wants from his Twitter account. Give me a break.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:09 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Look, Trump has every right to block whom he wants from his Twitter account. Give me a break.
So Trump tweets a bunch of BS and gets to hide behind it? That's fine.... all of Trump's tweets are out there and will continue to be used against (travel ban, but it's not ban... but I'm going to call it a ban). Not to mention the funny TrumpAgainstTrump movement using Trump's tweets against him. Sad!

Old 06-06-2017, 08:15 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Not really, since the White House said Twitter was being used as official communication tool.

Deputy White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters Monday that Twitter is President Trump's way to circumvent media bias and speak directly to Americans.

"I think social media for the president is extremely important," Sanders said. "It gives him the ability to speak directly to the people without the bias of the media filtering communication. He has over 100 plus million contacts through social media and all those platforms. I think it's a very important tool for him to utilize."

Sarah Sanders: Twitter lets Trump reach people without 'media filtering'

Trump can't deny people access to official government information because he doesn't like that they don't agree with him. Another self inflicted wound by Trump.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Not so fast. At the state and local levels, courts have ruled that politicians' social accounts become public records once they use those pages to discuss official business or matters of public concern. (see http://www.newseuminstitute.org/firs...-social-media/ )
There's no reason to think this is not also true at the federal level.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
lol, snowflakes.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:42 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
lol, snowflakes.
Good description of WH employees who melt over harsh replies to POTUS tweets. But that doesn't give said staff the right to arbitrarily block taxpayers from reading public WH communications.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
You and I certainly do have that right.

But, to cite a recent example, when is an email from a SoS not a public record? The answer is that an email about a strictly personal matter - say a yoga class - is generally not considered a public record, but you must agree, that line can be fuzzy at times. Why would/should a tweet be treated differently from an email? Especially a tweet about public policy?

I definitely see some legal opinionizing on this in our collective future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies