Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Yes, that is the "scientific" consensus Why do we even both teaching science if this is what that "education" produces?
Because people who aren't incurious morons like to make fact-based, logical decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger
China does nothing unless there's a profit in it. I'm guessing they are seeing a lot of suckers ripe for the picking in California.
You should ponder this post of yours for a while. Yes, China sees money in it. And you know what? California sees money in it. Private industry sees money in it. The rest of the world sees money in it.

The only people who don't get that there's money in advancing science and technology are small-minded morons who think advancement means economic disaster and that rolling back the clock to 1890 is the only way to go forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,190,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Ummm...i guess? I dont know what the hell you are talking about. I dont know if i have ever posted any gif from any website. I dont read brietbart, so i dont know if you are confusing me with someone else?

Are you really that forgetful? It's only been a few hours.

//www.city-data.com/forum/48416733-post2.html

Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
If anybody has to look to California to take the lead in anything then we are in trouble ! America has fallen so far down the liberal rabbit hole that this would be a total disaster !@!!!

Well, get used to it.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,632,469 times
Anything which encourages more trade, free market innovationm and helps both parties economically is a good thing.
Good for CA.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:30 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Yes, China sees money in it.
Correct, they will sell Chinese made solar panels to the rest of the wolrd manufactured with power derived from coal.

Quote:
California sees money in it.
Correct gain, they will raise taxes to support it.

Quote:
Private industry sees money in it.
3 for 3, Companies like Elon Musk's SolarCity will be glad to collect those tax dollars for installing Chinese panels.

Quote:
The rest of the world sees money in it.
Yes, by hindering the US economy.

Quote:
The only people who don't get that there's money in advancing science and technology are small-minded morons who think advancement means economic disaster and that rolling back the clock to 1890 is the only way to go forward.
Here is the question I have asked previously. Why the need for subsidies, mandates and this agreement to begin with if the picture you are painting is so rosy?

Old 06-06-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There's nothing to lead. Climate Change is a normal function of Inter-Glacial Periods. When you can prove the Earth's average global temperature should be 57.2°F and no higher, then get back to us.
There is nothing normal about having 9 of the 10 warmest year on record all occurring in the last 15 years!

If your car starts overheating, and getting hotter each month. That's not normal and you would laugh at anyone who suggest to you that's just how cars are supposed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Seeing how Welfare is generational, it kind of destroys your thesis.
Just because they stay poor, doesn't mean they want it that way, right?!!

Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Here is the question I have asked previously. Why the need for subsidies, mandates and this agreement to begin with if the picture you are painting is so rosy?

Because there is new infrastructure cost for new technology that existing ones don't have to factor in.

Quote:

Why Renewable Energy Still Needs Subsidies

Here’s why. Even if they’re now, finally, cost-competitive at the point of sale, low-carbon technologies are still working with an infrastructure—a utility regulatory system, a power grid, a highway system, a combustion engine-centric fueling system—built for a world powered by fossil fuels. These massive infrastructure projects were built up with public-sector support, including tax credits, low-cost loans, and outright grants from the federal government.

Companies designing new energy sources, in contrast, often have to build their own infrastructure and factor it into their costs. Take electric vehicles, for instance, which at the moment have a battery life that requires frequent charging on long trips, but which operate in a world of gas stations serving conventional vehicles. This mismatch of technology and infrastructure requires either significantly more R&D investment into electric vehicles to extend their battery life, or promotion of EV charging stations that will allow for these cars to compete on the open road.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:57 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,548,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
China is now looking to California

This is highly unusual - a leader of a country going directly to a state governor, not the president, and say, "You are going to lead this."

California is now increasingly taking over the leadership role left void by the Trump Administration.

I think China is recognizing that any industrial system that is clean and environmentally responsible, becomes a more profitable and successful one. The heads of all those American corporations that oppose Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Climate Accord, have learned this.

China should be credited for their plans to head in this direction, not insulted and rejected for past mistakes. We have to embrace all those that are willing to work for change and improvement, to be successful in controlling pollution and resulting climate problems, on a worldwide basis. America first? The wind that blows around the harmful gases, knows no national boundaries.

Our share of the load in this essential movement, will not be carried or given support by Trump and his red-state followers. He has disqualified himself from it willfully. So Gov. Brown is filling the void and will be welcomed and accredited by the participating nations. California will prosper from his actions and so will all the states that join the new climate alliance. Trump has no position, after his withdrawal from the Paris Accord, to object to or obstruct Gov. Brown's leadership role.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,580,931 times
Quote:
Are you really that forgetful? It's only been a few hours.

//www.city-data.com/forum/48416733-post2.html

Um..that is an image..not a gif.

This is a gif:

Old 06-07-2017, 12:28 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
Quote:
Because there is new infrastructure cost for new technology that existing ones don't have to factor in.
I wouldn't call your example an infrastructure problem but a market problem, if you can deliver a product to people they want at a profit everything else follows.

What about residential solar panels with net metering?. In that case not only are they benefiting from existing infrastructure they are causing the cost of that infrastructure they rely on to rise for others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies