Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 02:43 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Kansas unemployment rate - 3.7% (below national average)
Cali unemployment rate - 4.8% (above national average)

https://www.bls.gov/lau/

Debt ratio to GNP - Kansas #13 Cali #33

Total State Debt: ranked from lowest debtor state (#1) to highest debtor state (#50) : The States Project

Bloomberg gave a nice Fake News account but I prefer accuracy
Your answer is to ignore the growing budget deficit since enacting the tax cuts? And also, say, "CA is worse"?

Go ahead and deny that the gaping budget holes developed and that the GOP is now changing course on the disastrous results of cutting taxes and growing debt. Then shout , "Mission Accomplished" and "fake news" and give yourself a cookie.

Nothing you have posted refutes the facts of the article.

Unemployment can remain below the national average while debt INCREASES.

And having below average debt (from whenever year your your figures are from) doesn't refute that since 2015 the deficit has INCREASED, despite strong economic conditions.

"A projection issued Nov. 11 puts Kansas in a bind next fiscal year, when state revenue estimators project receipts to amount to $5.5 billion, down 7.4% from this year’s estimate."

^ That is a $400 MILLION dollar drop year over year?

Do you understand that this was supposed to GROW revenue and it had DROPPED every year since?

Three possibilities here:

1. Willfull ignorance
2. Failure to comprehend
3. Deliberate denial.

Last edited by shaker281; 06-07-2017 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 02:48 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Kansas unemployment rate - 3.7% (below national average)
Cali unemployment rate - 4.8% (above national average)

https://www.bls.gov/lau/

Debt ratio to GNP - Kansas #13 Cali #33

Total State Debt: ranked from lowest debtor state (#1) to highest debtor state (#50) : The States Project

Bloomberg gave a nice Fake News account but I prefer accuracy
By almost every metric Kansas has performed worse then their neighbors. And has been failing. Their budgets have been full of holes so big that they have been selling things to finance it.

Yes their debt to population ratio is lower...they got that by literally selling off massive long term income sources....

They have the second highest sales tax in the nation because they shifted the tax burden down from the wealthy.

Its like when you owe 5K to the loan sharks because you havent been making enough money, and you sell the car for 4K, and point out that you are better off then the neighbors because they owe 2K, and you only owe 1K. The neighbors still have 2 cars. You sold one last month, and your other one this month.

Kansas debt rating? AA- And a negative rating indicating its at risk of falling further.

BTW they also have had their supreme court tell them they cannot constitutionally fund their schools any less then they are now.

Call me unimpressed. This was supposed to result in growth, instead its been nothing but debt, and sales of long term income streams. The latest on the chopping block? selling their tobacco settlement money at a discount.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:14 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Default Kansas would be ok if...

Kansas would be ok if... the Supreme Court of Kansas would have recognized the State Congressional authority to establish, set, raise and lower as it sees fit, the funding for education in the State. The Supreme Court of Kansas has unconstitutionally interfered with the legislative authority of the State's Congress since former Governor Kathleen Sebelius was in office. The demands from SCOK have caused the funding for education to skyrocket in so many ways and this is in clear violation of what the State Constitution calls for.

The single issue of education funding is the only reason there is any fiscal problems in Kansas. The problem is a constitutional crisis, not a fiscal problem. If the Supreme Court of Kansas obeyed the letter of the law in the State Constitution, they would not be interfering in the education funding amounts constitutionally established by the State Congress. I wish this State had a decent AG when this nonsense started. One that would have taken this issue to the US Supreme Court to compel the Supreme Court of Kansas to obey its own Constitution, because once the precedent was established, the AG and the State Congress had little opportunity to reverse a clearly unconstitutional ruling from the Supreme Court of Kansas.

What I find very troubling on CD and in media across the nation is how they ignorantly and/or willfully falsely attribute the State of Kansas' fiscal issues to a lack of raised taxes while completely ignoring the fact that there has been a constitutional crisis regarding funding for education for almost 15 years. I believe the reporting on this issue is willfully misleading and outright fraudulent in an attempt to portray sound fiscal policy as ineffective when there are known externalities which caused the fiscal problems to begin with. Odds are not a single other poster on here, the idiots at the LA Times, any other rag publication nor any of the other media reporting this tripe has read the Kansas Constitution. I have read it because I am a resident who has lived in Kansas most of my life, therefore it matters to me what the law of the land, the Kansas Constitution says. I know who is authorized by the Kansas Constitution to fund education and to establish any formula for that funding and this authority certainly isn't within the authority of the Supreme Court of Kansas.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Or you are a Brownback supporter who cannot accept the realities of the situation and is whining about realities that existed well before the tax cuts failed to produce new revenues?

The tax cuts do not exist in a vacuum and everything you say should have been well known when they were initiated. Yet, revenues have decreased only since the tax cuts were implemented.

Reading the state constitution does not guarantee that you understand it or are not choosing your own interpretation. It appears you want to gut education because the tax cuts have decreased revenues and are unhappy that the courts wont allow that.

One one issue here: Did the tax cuts grow revenues or not?

Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Kansas is a basket case fiscally and economically. The Republicans destroyed that state. It really is sad and pathetic to see conservatives defend these policies that bankrupted this state.

But is it really? Republican policy has been to break the back of government, They would rather see a bankrupt government than one spending money for the common good.

So, the Kansas model of governance is fine with them. A broke government is a good government, under their theory.

Trump, Bannon and the other purveyors of conservative misery, want the USA to be like Kansas. Thus their fiscal irresponsibility. It is by design.

And these conservatives have the gumption to call themselves the party of fiscal responsibility. What a joke!

Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Or you are a Brownback supporter who cannot accept the realities of the situation and is whining about realities that existed well before the tax cuts failed to produce new revenues?

The tax cuts do not exist in a vacuum and everything you say should have been well known when they were initiated. Yet, revenues have decreased only since the tax cuts were implemented.

Reading the state constitution does not guarantee that you understand it or are not choosing your own interpretation. It appears you want to gut education because the tax cuts have decreased revenues and are unhappy that the courts wont allow that.

One one issue here: Did the tax cuts grow revenues or not?

I have never voted for now Governor and then Senator Brownback. I believe he is a statist. I am a Libertarian. I also believe that he turned his nose at his constituents when they were 80% opposed to granting amnesty for illegal aliens and he voted for amnesty.

The tax cuts DO exist in a vacuum when the entire vacuum was created by education funding.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 06-07-2017 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-07-2017, 04:45 AM

A republican dominated (again, I am NOT a republican) Congress constitutionally passed education funding, which was consistent with previous spending and added reasonable growth in that funding, that Governor Sebelius didn't like so she vetoed it. That same Congress overrode her veto and she had a hissy fit and had her administration sue. She had a left wing Kansas Supreme Court unconstitutionally legislate from the bench. Nothing in the Kansas Constitution grants the courts authority to legislate from the bench.

Again, this is a constitutional crisis, not a fiscal crisis.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:06 AM

Not a single liberal person was crying about Kansas' deficit spending when it happened in huge numbers under then Governor Sebelius. That deficit spending was created by a single issue, her administration's suing the State Congress over education funding.

The initial interference with education funding by the Kansas Supreme Court was to a tune of 1 BILLION dollars EXTRA money. THAT is what caused the State's fiscal problems.

Quote:
Early in the term, Sebelius made education funding her top priority. Education funding reached a breaking point in the summer of 2005 when the Kansas Supreme Court ordered the Legislature to increase K–12 funding.[102] Sebelius offered one education funding plan early in her first term, which consisted of property, sales, and income tax increases, resulting in 2006 in the largest K–12 education funding increase in the history of the state. The three-year plan aimed to increase education funding by nearly $1 billion over three years, but did not give a funding source for the second and third years.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Sebelius

So PLEASE tell me how this is a fiscal crisis rather than a constitutional crisis, where the Kansas Supreme Court unconstitutionally interfered with the constitutional authority of the Kansas Congress to establish, set, raise and lower education funding as they see fit.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,897 times
Taxes are immoral.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Taxes are immoral.
Really? Do you think police and construction and maintenance crews and teachers should work for free then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies