Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'd rather see the discount applied on things food stamps would cover only (plus necessities such as toilet paper, medicine, vitamins, toothpaste, floss, cleaning supplies, etc).
Here's where I disagree... As already stated by another poster, he/she bought their college textbooks cheaper on Amazon.

Likewise, electronic devices, which are frequently a necessity to research/complete/submit assignments are cheaper on Amazon.

And make no mistake... even community colleges have gone digital, and class syllabi, lecture notes, assignments, completed assignment submissions, etc., are frequently done via electronic device submissions.

IMO, giving the financially challenged a $60/year (or close enough) break is no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 12:27 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
..I see so what you're reeeeally worried about is that Amazon is going to bait those unwitting poor people into buying things they don't need. Wow you were looking out for them the whole time!! So compassionate. Clearly I misjudged..
well, it is your problem when you read this

"Welfare business is a big business. People on government assistance are valuable customers to a lot of businesses. It is obvious that Amazon wants to attract more customers to benefit their company. Nothing more/less."

and immediately comes up with the above conclusion. Pretty dramatic to say the least.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think Americans are the only people who are jealous of the poor. It's the weirdest thing.
^^^This x 1000.

It's quite interesting to read the replies.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:29 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think Americans are the only people who are jealous of the poor. It's the weirdest thing.
They were successfully brainwashed by the Ronald Reagan and the Republicans continual demonizing of the poor as all being "welfare queens," living the high life in their furs and Cadillacs on the taxpayer's dime. Yes, there still are people who believe that nonsense. One poster here even used the "steak and lobster" phrase which was part of that meme.

Anyone who personally knows a working poor person knows what total BS that is, but the stereotype lives on, as we see in this thread.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:30 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
OH wait, somebody just left me a rep message and I understand the point you made now.

So just ignore the posts I made. Looks like we are in some kind of agreement.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
We're not jealous of the poor. Neither are we unsympathetic to their needs. We are however, tapped out from paying for their needs often times at the expense of our own families needs...... Sure is funny, I never see very many pulling out a wad of coupons at the grocery like I do..........
Amazon Prime membership is a "need"?

I purchase from Amazon and never purchased the Prime membership. It's not a need.

I also don't see how someone else getting a discount means that it's at your expense. It doesn't mean you are subsidizing for their prime membership.

Do you refuse to stay at hotels that offer discounts to seniors? Do you refuse to go to Disneyworld because they offer discounts to Florida residents? Do you refuse to buy Microsoft products because they offer discounts to students?

Many companies offer special discounts if you have a specific employer..such as cell phone plans and even memberships at Sam's Club. Do you refuse to have a cell phone plan because some people get employer discounts?

Even new cars sometimes come with discounts/rebates for students or military. Do you refuse to buy a new car?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:35 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Maybe Amazon should instigate a buy a "prime" membership for a less fortunate person program. I'd like to see how many folks here would put their money where their mouth is and break out their checkbook for another......

Old 06-08-2017, 12:36 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
People cancelling their Prime memberships over this. What a perfect example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

LOL!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:40 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
People cancelling their Prime memberships over this. What a perfect example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

LOL!
Amazon's total revenues for 2016 was $136 billion. I think they're going to be just fine even if a handful of self-righteous customers cancel their Prime membership.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Maybe Amazon should instigate a buy a "prime" membership for a less fortunate person program. I'd like to see how many folks here would put their money where their mouth is and break out their checkbook for another......
Well then it's a good thing no one has to .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies