Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:53 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,462,599 times

Advertisements

Watching the national news and cable news programs today might provide some indication. I'll try to provide a report on my perspective tomorrow after a little research.

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...le-midway.html

So far, cleveland.com (The Plain Dealer) has passed the test (see the above link) with a very good article about the battle's 75th anniversary.

Here are some other stories found on the web.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.996d6677e046

At long last, Buffalo's Wade McClusky honored for key role in Battle of Midway - The Buffalo News

A day of real, not "fake," heroes.

A search of the NY Times website suggests that the national newspaper of record missed the anniversary.

Does anybody else have a local take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,462,599 times
The NBC Nightly News didn't mention the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway....

Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,638,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The NBC Nightly News didn't mention the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway....
Of course not-That would show America in a patriotic light. Of course they will brow-beat us over the Japanese internment, the dropping the bombs on Japan, and other things NBC puts out as a shameful period of American history.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:28 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times
Quote:
A search of the NY Times website suggests that the national newspaper of record missed the anniversary.
https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...oked-hero.html

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...ay-models.html

Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
I don't get the "anniversary" part. I read history every single day - and as much as I can. Something BIG happened almost every hour of every day in history. It depends on where you were.

We need to focus more on the LESSONS of history than on the "only mark the occasions you could make a movie about" scenarios.

History is very different than most people understand. I think I gave up on Americans and general world knowledge when a majority couldn't find Iraq or Afghanistan or Syria on a world map. If that's the case, we are in the wrong debate club.

Worse yet, it seems like some of you are "rating" news sources based on what they report or not concerning a certain anniversary of an event. It might be fine for a history buff or an optional article...but, as I said before, LOTS of stuff happened every day or hour at that point in history. Much of it could have changed the course of history.

Why not discuss the lessons?

1. Japan had become an authoritarian nation where the people believed in God (the Emperor) and did as they perceived he wanted. Let that be a lesson for ALL of us against being part of the Mob or GroupThink.

2. I would mention that Japanese Imperialism was not a great idea - but I would feel like a hypocrite since we created our nation largely by either taking over or controlling adjacent lands which were not originally our (Mexico, Florida, Central America, Hawaii, etc.).
So Imperialism is bad for the loser and good for the winner.

3. Never tug on Superman's cape. If a country has 20X the resources as yours, don't pick a fight.

Mostly #1. Anytime a mob of people (including Americans) start thinking they are blessed or so much better than everyone else, trouble is not far away.

The only salvation of the USA is to think different. Each of us. This includes not measuring whether a news service prints a story you want or don't want. That sounds more like political correctness. I'm sure the South here wants to have articles about the War of Northern Aggression....certain battles and wins. How about a Bull Rum article on every 5 year anniversary. The Union troops got routed on that one, right?

Old 06-04-2017, 07:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Watching the national news and cable news programs today might provide some indication. I'll try to provide a report on my perspective tomorrow after a little research.

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...le-midway.html

So far, cleveland.com (The Plain Dealer) has passed the test (see the above link) with a very good article about the battle's 75th anniversary.

Here are some other stories found on the web.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.996d6677e046

At long last, Buffalo's Wade McClusky honored for key role in Battle of Midway - The Buffalo News

A day of real, not "fake," heroes.

Does anybody else have a local take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Of course not-That would show America in a patriotic light. Of course they will brow-beat us over the Japanese internment, the dropping the bombs on Japan, and other things NBC puts out as a shameful period of American history.
Now let us hear it from you hopeless folk. You were flat out wrong and the NYTimes piece is a marvelous song to patriotism. And you guys put it down.

You post indicates you don't like patriotism.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:43 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,115,697 times
I seem to recall virtually every major news channel and newspaper running countless articles about the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor just a few months ago.

Also, the article about Wade McClusky was published in my local newspaper - Newsday - this morning

Old 06-04-2017, 07:55 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times
Everyday brings an IMPORTANT anniversary of something people will complain was missed... be it by the NYT, Google Doodle, or nightly news.

This Day in History - What Happened Today - HISTORY.com

Old 06-04-2017, 08:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,773,014 times
Yes people are generally history challenged. Schools don't prioritize it and the general public isn't particularly interested. Sad but true. That said, there is more history out there than anyone, historians included, can absorb. I love history and read it all the time yet there are topics for which I know little to nothing. Some aspects of history interest me more than others.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 PM

10,492 posts, read 4,061,076 times
Yes. The history taught in schools and often in movies and TV shows is biased towards America and her interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies