Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:00 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
By big-box retailer do you mean Sam's Club or Costco? Those stores specialize in bulk boxed & frozen and not in fresh veg. Their customers also shop at traditional supermarkets that have larger produce sections.

If you compare a 1960's supermarket to one today - you'll see every much the same ratio of fresh produce to processed/boxed food aisles.
No kidding, if the OP talking about Costco or Sam's Club, what else would you expect to see there? I do see lots of people buying fresh produce at the local Ralph's, Bristol Farms and Trader Joe's.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Your question seems odd. It implies that normal adults cook three healthy meals a day for themselves, then suddenly stop when they have kids.

You also seem to coyly ignore (I can't believe you are honestly unaware) the fact that in the 1950s there was a housewife whose life involved mostly just cleaning, cooking, and mothering. I suspect we could poke holes in a bunch of other things: That those families probably ate a lot of canned vegetables, not necessarily fresh; that most normal people today would not eat oatmeal AND eggs; that most normal kids wouldn't eat only cottage cheese for lunch.

By the way, do you cook? Most people who cook don't describe food the way you did. I can't help but wonder if you yourself have spent your time cooking daily for a family of three or more.
Most normal kids wouldn't eat cottage cheese, period.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJw3DD_4fs

Wow, I was a big-box retailer and I thought it was very interesting. Most of the people who had 3 or 4 kids had a cart full of boxed food.

Plastic wrapper burritos in a big box, the lower quality boxed pizzas with meat product, ramen noodles, boxed breakfast sandwiches and cereal that is mainly sugar and corn.

Interesting how the typical 1950s video shows a nice breakfast of grapefruit, 2 fresh eggs and oatmeal. Then for lunch cottage cheese with orange, bread and butter with milk and juice.

Then for supper something like a nice roast with two or three high nutrition veggies and fruit and a tiny dish of ice cream with milk.

It is amazing how back then families had three meals freshly prepared in the household kitchen and they knew what they eating.

Today many people who have children serve their children most of their meals out of boxes, cans and plastic wrappers. Food out of a box in the morning, plastic wrapper or bag for lunch and then a boxed item with preservatives for dinner.

Rather then paying $2 for a bunch of kale, scoop of fresh legumes. They buy a cheap frozen boxed pizza with questionable products and call it a dinner.
Women today don't want children they can't afford. But some states are making it harder for abortions. Some work 2 and 3 jobs just to provide for their kids. When you work that many hours do you really have the time to make a home cooked meal. How about they spend quality time with their kids and help with homework. And where do you live where you spend $2 for kale?

Old 06-09-2017, 09:10 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
In the 1950s, women stayed home and cooked. That's not the way the (developed) world is anymore.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:10 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Women today don't want children they can't afford. But some states are making it harder for abortions.
Anything wrong with birth control? And for god's sakes, if you don't want kids, it's incredibly easy to get snipped--instant cure for the problem. We have the good sense to have our pets spayed, but we don't have the sense to do the same for ourselves?

Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Do Moms "have" to work outside the home?

Maybe not. I grew up in the 50's. We never had a TV, although lots of other people did, and I never even knew a family that had two cars. So the standard of living was greatly different.

I remember when all the women of our neighborhood went to work. It was 1977 - 79. All of a sudden every woman on the block went to work. And they have been working ever since.

Things may never go back to the way they were with the nuclear family, but it wasn't all bad. In the old days your mother really did know where you were, or at least who you were with. There weren't very many restaurants, very little prepackaged food, and every kid knew to be at home by the time the street lights came on.

Even in households like mine where we had no father and basically raised ourselves, I cooked my own breakfast. COOKED, not opened! Poached eggs and toast for me.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:18 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Anything wrong with birth control? And for god's sakes, if you don't want kids, it's incredibly easy to get snipped--instant cure for the problem. We have the good sense to have our pets spayed, but we don't have the sense to do the same for ourselves?
Why don't men get vasectomies then women won't have to worry about it. And birth control doesn't always work. I know that for a fact.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Not everyone in the 50's ate well. I knew kids who had coco puffs with coke for breakfast, baloney sandwich on wonder bread, a hostess cupcake, and fritos for lunch, and a hot dog, soda, and ice cream for dinner.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
My parents divorced in the 70's when I was young, but both of them always made dinner from scratch even after a day of work and they both had vegetable gardens, too. Dinner together at the table occurred in both households. I really thought that was just how families did things, and was surprised as a teenager in the 80's to see how many of my friends just foraged for food in their homes, and had no meal structure. Sad. Having that tradition growing up grew me into an adult who maintained that habit in my own home, and we eat dinner together every night (with certain exceptions of course). Preparing a meal, especially with fresh homegrown ingredients, is a great way to unwind and de-stress. But it may not be possible if you work odd hours, or simply didn't grow up with that tradition and lack the skills and know-how to cook from scratch. As a result, people have low standards of nutrition and eat horrible crap.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
We are not in 1950! Dang control freaks! Now you want to tell the cook what to make.smack: unbelievable !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies