Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

What's going on over there??

Most Americans, and especially Southerners, eat terribly and have the same issues with lacking walkability and public transit.

Yet Mississippi is consistently the worst faring in terms of health.

Is there a local environmental issue that's having a more negative impact on the residents there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I think diabetes is racist!

Diabetes in Mississippi

Profile of snap households in the Mississippi congressional District 1

I can't help but wonder why is it that African Americans are 77% more likely than whites to be diagnosed with diabetes? We can't blame food stamps because the percentage of white households and black households are nearly identical in percentages so it has nothing to do with food stamps.
It's not that blacks are especially susceptible to diabetes - it's that whites are more resistant to it. If I recall, Asians, blacks, indigenous and Aborigines, Indian and Middle Easterners were all more likely to develop it than whites are.

I know many East Asians whose thin relatives have Type 2 diabetes.

Now imagine relocating them from their affluent coastal cities/towns to a rural food desert where they have to drive far to the nearest store, where decent quality produce is in short supply.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:01 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What's going on over there??

Most Americans, and especially Southerners, eat terribly and have the same issues with lacking walkability and public transit.

Yet Mississippi is consistently the worst faring in terms of health.

Is there a local environmental issue that's having a more negative impact on the residents there?
Most southern cities are always at the top for ranking in best health from Charlottesville, rtp area in north carolina, tampa, ft lauderdale, plano, atlanta,huntsville, miami, austin texas , etc. The university of alabama has the best training facilities int the country and sports medicine, its why so many of Americas athletes come from the south.

The south has the best beaches by far no fat dudes lying ont he beach or they may haul you back into the water thinking he is beached

Old 06-10-2017, 02:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Being that I have family history there, I could go on and on about Mississippi, but I won't.

It's the saddest place in America, and we have a LOT of really sad ass places. They literally revel in being ass backwards. Progress is always viewed with suspicion.

If it wasn't for Blues and Faulkner, they wouldn't have a single decent contribution to this country's history.

It's one of three or four states that I can drive through and never look to my left or right because there's almost nothing of any interest there. Mississippi represents pain, struggle, entrenched ignorance, and poverty. Sad really, because you'll meet some of the nicest, most generous people in America. They just aren't generous to each other. The haves don't want the have nots to have anything, and the have nots don't really care. Talk about elitism? It's probably the most class conscious state in this country.

So the health care debacle shouldn't surprise anyone.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's not that blacks are especially susceptible to diabetes - it's that whites are more resistant to it. If I recall, Asians, blacks, indigenous and Aborigines, Indian and Middle Easterners were all more likely to develop it than whites are.

I know many East Asians whose thin relatives have Type 2 diabetes.

Now imagine relocating them from their affluent coastal cities/towns to a rural food desert where they have to drive far to the nearest store, where decent quality produce is in short supply.
White Mississippians that hover around the poverty line (a huge percentage of whites in that state) are just as sick as the poor blacks.

African Americans, like Indians, eat the white man's diet, and that's been our downfall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

The south has the best beaches by far no fat dudes lying ont he beach or they may haul you back into the water thinking he is beached
LMAO...pure fantasy. Stop it.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
White Mississippians that hover around the poverty line (a huge percentage of whites in that state) are just as sick as the poor blacks.

African Americans, like Indians, eat the white man's diet, and that's been our downfall.

LMAO...pure fantasy. Stop it.
The south doesnt have the best beaches in the country, who has better? Warm water ,the best sailing, white sands , palms, the only state that even comes close is California and its even colder water temps in southern California.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:20 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Pass a law that requires everyone to walk 2 miles a day and cut crap foods out of SNAP benefits.
Imagine a bunch of anal-retentive enforcers, insisting that someone who runs ten hard miles a day, also has to walk two more, to stay compliant.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The south doesnt have the best beaches in the country, who has better? Warm water ,the best sailing, white sands , palms, the only state that even comes close is California and its even colder water temps in southern California.
Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc...

Old 06-10-2017, 02:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,839,429 times
Quote:
It's all a matter of opinion, but to me, Hawaii and California win hands down. I've been to beaches in the south, they're nice, hell, I'll be in Hilton Head for 2 weeks next month (family there), but to me, I prefer CA and HI.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Hell, most human adults cannot readily digest lactose. In general, only white adults can, and even only a subset of them at that.

As someone who avoids dairy altogether, it can be difficult eating out or as a houseguest in most predominantly white countries (and northern India even), but in my experience, Americans are by far the most likely to drown everything in cheese, butter, or cream. It's ridiculous browsing through a menu only to see that every single dish involves either cheese or a cream base. (Though luckily I live in coastal city librulland, where I can avoid restaurants like that altogether for the most part)

I suspect that if dairy and pop consumption was reduced with no other changes, that alone would significantly improve health for all races, and especially non-whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies