Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times

Advertisements

I have to say I think it is smart that places like Orange County, Los Angeles and San Diego are pricing out new non-existing non-housing authority families with children who aren't rich.

I think the housing scarcity that Southern California and other places like Seattle have created is good in the long run. Only wealthy families will move there who don't think twice about expensive homes and many landlords don't want the bother of section 8 tenants.

I predict a decline in the number of poor families in the elite, manufactured housing scarcity cities. Santa Ana, Anaheim, Stanton, Garden Grove places associated with poverty in Orange County are seeing population stable or dropping a little bit.

It will pay off in the long run as far as lower crime rates as the future criminals moving away. Less need for welfare programs also.

It seems like many families that were overcrowding in the last poverty hold-outs in Orange County like Stanton, Anaheim and Santa Ana are throwing in the towel and moving if they don't connection to have them rent for lower rents in someones home.

Santa Ana and Anaheim are stagnant on population because people will only overcrowd for so many years before moving.

Compared to the Midwest where there is an endless supply of big, single-family homes with rock-bottom prices.

Places like Omaha, Wichita, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Topeka and Indianapolis have an endless supply of big vacant homes going for less then $1,000 a month. That are begging for section 8 vouchers.

I am sure many landlords would love more section 8 vouchers from Chicago to come to Des Moines and Omaha so they have some revenue then a vacant home.

I moved to Omaha area likely for about 6 months and there certainly despite the local media saying a housing shortage, an endless supply of vacant apartments, vacant homes and vacant lots.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-10-2017 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 04:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
If everyone who isn't rich gets priced out, who will work in the restaurants? Who will keep the trains and buses running? Who will sweep the streets and fix the potholes?

San Francisco is already like that. The people doing those jobs live far away and commute long distances to work. It certainly hasn't helped with crime or reduced the need for welfare, though. San Francisco is overrun with homeless people and all sorts of crazies.

It's so expensive that the only things left are hyper-generic, overpriced stores and restaurants. It's like living in an airport terminal - generic, soulless, and a yogurt parfait costs $12.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:37 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
You left out the most important component. Illegal aliens. California has become a state with wealthy homeowners and poor illegals making up a large portion of the population. It almost reminds me of the South before the civil war where you had the upper class that couldn't survive without the free labor, but in this case very cheap labor.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If everyone who isn't rich gets priced out, who will work in the restaurants? Who will keep the trains and buses running? Who will sweep the streets and fix the potholes?

San Francisco is already like that. The people doing those jobs live far away and commute long distances to work. It certainly hasn't helped with crime or reduced the need for welfare, though. San Francisco is overrun with homeless people and all sorts of crazies.

It's so expensive that the only things left are hyper-generic, overpriced stores and restaurants. It's like living in an airport terminal - generic, soulless, and a yogurt parfait costs $12.
There are many, many people in Southern California like bus drivers who likely have lived there for decades and bought in the 1990s when it was affordable.

Many of those bus drivers are house rich if they bought in California decades ago and they have some of the lowest property taxes in the country.

The labor needs to the lower-wage jobs can be filled with the high percentage of California millennials who live with family and immigrants who rent from existing homeowners.

An estimate 40% of California millennials live with family.

Study: More Than 40 Percent Of LA Millennials Living With Parents « CBS Los Angeles

California won't ever have a problem filling entry-level jobs. There are just so many people living with relatives, apartment roommates and family.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
They need to start building upward. I don't see why "progressive" SoCal isn't doing so. Vancouver BC has plenty of high density, residential high rises. Yet fly over SoCal as I do on a daily basis and one sees just endless, flat sprawl and very little vertical development.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
They need to start building upward. I don't see why "progressive" SoCal isn't doing so. Vancouver BC has plenty of high density, residential high rises. Yet fly over SoCal as I do on a daily basis and one sees just endless, flat sprawl and very little vertical development.
https://www.census.gov/construction/...t3yu201704.txt

Out of 9,899 building permits issued in Orange and Los Angeles County, only 3,444 have been single-family housing.

34% of housing permits are more then one unit. They are building upward.

San Diego only issued 974 single-family permits.

Besides being expensive has benefits with lower crime rates and less people in expensive jails as opposed to many cheap Midwestern cities with skyrocketing crime rates and jails in crisis

Orange County jail population declines 15%; study says that’s due to Prop. 47 – Orange County Register

Santa Ana has a nearly empty jail because of lack of detained citizens pending charges and those serving a year or less or waiting transfer.

Santa Ana not sure what to do with its state-of-the-art, nearly empty 512-bed jail – Orange County Register

In Omaha where I just moved too, they are throwing up massive amounts of $200,000 single-family homes for people with 3 or kids. They will get about $4,500 in property tax revenue per house but considering the average house will have 3 kids and the school systems here are very luxurious and high-spending they will never recoup it.

I know in Omaha as the residents move to the suburbs as inner-city living is looked down on, the inner-city will get cheaper and cheaper with more vacancies which means landlords begging for section 8 and general assistance vouchers.

The expensive apartments and condos in Coastal Southern California are mainly rich dual-income no kids and empty-nesters so the property taxes are pure gravy and help with the pension issues.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to say I think it is smart that places like Orange County, Los Angeles and San Diego are pricing out new non-existing non-housing authority families with children who aren't rich.

I think the housing scarcity that Southern California and other places like Seattle have created is good in the long run. Only wealthy families will move there who don't think twice about expensive homes and many landlords don't want the bother of section 8 tenants.

I predict a decline in the number of poor families in the elite, manufactured housing scarcity cities. Santa Ana, Anaheim, Stanton, Garden Grove places associated with poverty in Orange County are seeing population stable or dropping a little bit.

It will pay off in the long run as far as lower crime rates as the future criminals moving away. Less need for welfare programs also.

It seems like many families that were overcrowding in the last poverty hold-outs in Orange County like Stanton, Anaheim and Santa Ana are throwing in the towel and moving if they don't connection to have them rent for lower rents in someones home.

Santa Ana and Anaheim are stagnant on population because people will only overcrowd for so many years before moving.

Compared to the Midwest where there is an endless supply of big, single-family homes with rock-bottom prices.

Places like Omaha, Wichita, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Topeka and Indianapolis have an endless supply of big vacant homes going for less then $1,000 a month. That are begging for section 8 vouchers.

I am sure many landlords would love more section 8 vouchers from Chicago to come to Des Moines and Omaha so they have some revenue then a vacant home.

I moved to Omaha area likely for about 6 months and there certainly despite the local media saying a housing shortage, an endless supply of vacant apartments, vacant homes and vacant lots.
? I just got back from working in Anaheim and I barely recognize parts of the city from when I lived there 15 years ago with family, its a 50% hispanic city now. Santa Ana is 78% hispanic. Orange county has changed dramatically, who exactly has been leaving anaheim and santa ana?

Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You left out the most important component. Illegal aliens. California has become a state with wealthy homeowners and poor illegals making up a large portion of the population. It almost reminds me of the South before the civil war where you had the upper class that couldn't survive without the free labor, but in this case very cheap labor.
Dang! How old are you?

Old 06-10-2017, 05:55 PM

817 posts, read 753,221 times
Well, it's because a lot of us in SoCal are pretty awesome
Not everyone can hang, that's what Phoenix and Vegas are for. And if you can't hang there, you can always try Ohio, Iowa, or Alabama.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Ok, price out the poor. Then price out the skilled working class, then the lower end of the middle class, then the upper middle class. Where does it end?

Oh, as for crime, income inequality is a bigger factor in it than actual income is. Why not start taxing the wealthy more for social services, education, and such. But no, they're poor and therefore deserve only the crumbs. The bootstraps argument doesn't work because only a tiny fraction of the poor end up to be even middle-class, let alone billionaires. Class mobility is actually higher in Australia and half the European countries than America.

Even high housing costs doesn't end homelessness. As somebody else said, SF has a lot of them. I saw a lot of them when visiting Washington, DC, and I see a lot of them here in Dallas , which currently has a solid job market. Doesn't seem like high costs of living price out the poor to me.

But, reading between the lines, it sounds to me like you're elitist - wanting to use "the free market" as a kind of unwritten Jim Crow - only instead of race-based, it's income-based. While you're at it, why not form a secret society to terrorize the poor? Then you'll reach the logical conclusion of your mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies