Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:52 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is that because you cannot protect yourself?

Explain how you protect yourself from shoddy builders building crappy buildings, from unsafe foods, from bad bridges, from bad quality water , unsafe drugs, how you put out your housefire, how you rescue yourself in a bad car accident, etc, etc.

Please. Take the time to explain how you are more capable in these and other areas than thoee that want the government to make sure shady businespeople are not putting them in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 07:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Dumbazzes would have you believe all you need is your cocked and locked Colt Defender .45 ACP to feel like a man and defend yourself from a boss or other entity with a 'bent bow' insistent upon visiting harm upon you by ignoring those government regs. installed to prevent such malfeasance.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:12 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,429 times
It's strange to read about conservatives complaining about all of the laws there are, but yet in a few recent threads it was them who were complaining about liberals not following the law. Here's a few of these threads.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-will-ask.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...n-decency.html

Old 06-10-2017, 07:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Sometimes things go too fast.

Big Allis - A huge generator in NYC screwed up the design of what was at the time the biggest generator around. But they screwed up the design so on the big power outage it destroyed itself.

The Harmon hotel in City Centre in Las Vegas was designed and built simultaneously. But when they got to the 30th floor or so it turns out it was not built right. End game they have ended up taking a 30 story building down.

Lots of those stories around. Fast is not always good. And note the Strip generally builds very faster...perhaps twice as fast as Manhattan.

I would also suggest things take to long. It is not the regulation but the inability to get them judged in a timely fashion that costs all the money.

And I would note that Flint MI would have been a lot better off with an in-depth review of their plan to switch water sources. A really good example of why you want environmental review rather than the desires of those on high.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:31 PM

800 posts, read 508,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
It's strange to read about conservatives complaining about all of the laws there are, but yet in a few recent threads it was them who were complaining about liberals not following the law
No hypocricy there. Difference is that dems tend to be for a LOT of laws, a whole massive mess of a web of laws. Some of which are unneeded laws, or poorly thought out, or not properly enforced. Conservatives believe in far less laws, but that the laws that DO exist better be good ones, that are fully enforced.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Seems the Communist Democrats want a law for every aspect of your life, from cradle to grave. Bye-Bye Liberty

While we have see Trump push to drop all the laws and regulations that stifle production and prosperity.
Perfect example used by Trump: The Empire State Building was built in less than 1 year. Today, that project would be tied in years of red tape, before any ground is broken and once the first grain of dirt or sand is moved, take years to complete.

Communism and Islam = control and enslavement
Constitution = Freedom & Liberties.
Production and prosperity were chugging along just fine with clean air and water.

So I guess it is this or that...do we create jobs for a dying industry by allowing toxins to be dumped in water for maybe a 1000 jobs -- or do we protect our waterways.....encourage new technologies and create new products and processes for the new world.

Forwards or backwards and then dea...I go forwards. You hang on to your antiquated way of thinking.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:37 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
On a broader note, BentBow and I went for about 2 or 3 rounds a few months ago. He strikes me as a Social Darwinist type. Keep that in mind. I could be wrong, but everything he said in that exchange makes it plausible to believe so. His post about "cannot protect yourself" (implicitly w/o government intervention) also suggests that in this thread.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:37 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Call me a commie, but I really like knowing that there are laws to protect the environment, drinking water, medications, and food.

I know, that's really terrible of me and I must just like for "the man" to oppress me and curtail my freedom, but there you have it.
This.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:41 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
No hypocricy there. Difference is that dems tend to be for a LOT of laws, a whole massive mess of a web of laws. Some of which are unneeded laws, or poorly thought out, or not properly enforced. Conservatives believe in far less laws, but that the laws that DO exist better be good ones, that are fully enforced.
The problem with what you're saying is that Conservatives are also creating or attempting to create new laws. Such as the id card laws for voters in North Carolina and Texas. Or laws regulating what one does in their bedroom.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
That isn't conservatives. Conservatives want big gubmint in the bedroom. The type you are looking for are Rockefellers who are moderates. Nobody listens to moderates though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies