Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:35 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They wouldn't have done it at all if Obama wasn't backing it, even by leading from behind. How does that make it that different from British and French help in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Your question was - why doesn't Obama get the blame [from Brits] for Libya and the migrant crisis?

1) Most Brits approve of the Libyan intervention to oust Gaddfi.
2) Most refugee boats from Libya do not carry Libyans - they carry refugees passing through from other countries - Syria, Eritrea, Guinea, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Gambia, Senegal... Libya has refugee camps crammed with these people and has been criticized for their treatment of refugees and their navy being too aggressive stopping refugee boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There is no upside for British politicians in a Trump visit. Nobody except Trump wants the charade of a red carpet state visit with golden carriage rides and polite applause for a me-me-me speech to Parliament.
Well, he's not getting a speech to Parliament even if he goes. The Parliamentary leaders won't allow him to disgrace their chambers.

The biggest thing people are fighting against is no one wants him to get to be in the presence of the Queen.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:51 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, he's not getting a speech to Parliament even if he goes. The Parliamentary leaders won't allow him to disgrace their chambers.

The biggest thing people are fighting against is no one wants him to get to be in the presence of the Queen.
Oh, so the presidents of Russia and China with their human rights violations are okay, but we can't have someone who said some crude things but never murdered anyone or put them in political prisons. Alright, gotcha!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Oh, so the presidents of Russia and China with their human rights violations are okay, but we can't have someone who said some crude things but never murdered anyone or put them in political prisons. Alright, gotcha!
Amazingly, I don't remember the leaders of either country being so crude nor inflammatory. Putin may be a cruel man behind the scenes and I don't know Xi Jinping's background so I can't say, but neither man is a public embarrassment to their nations. Trump is an avaricious hedonist and swindler who promotes conspiracy theories and bald-faced lies.

Trump is the kind of man I wouldn't trust near my daughter. I can see why the Brits wouldn't want him near their queen.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Amazingly, I don't remember the leaders of either country being so crude nor inflammatory. Putin may be a cruel man behind the scenes and I don't know Xi Jinping's background so I can't say, but neither man is a public embarrassment to their nations. Trump is an avaricious hedonist and swindler who promotes conspiracy theories and bald-faced lies.

Trump is the kind of man I wouldn't trust near my daughter. I can see why the Brits wouldn't want him near their queen.
Again, they might not say crude things in public, but they have political opponents killed or imprisoned. It's not exactly the moral high ground.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Again, they might not say crude things in public, but they have political opponents killed or imprisoned. It's not exactly the moral high ground.
I won't argue that point.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Putin's visit was back in 2003. Neither Putin or Xi spoke to Parliament or had Trump's list of demands. State visits are diplomatic affairs and Trump has shown that he has no interest in diplomacy and no hesitancy in trashing the host nation.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,176 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
What is it with your country and elections? Do you just keep having them until the powers that be get the vote they want? Is Brexit ever going to happen?

I don't know about you, but that would surely **** me off.
Therea May is Prime Minister, it is the Conservative Party members and MP's that will decide if they want her to stay as leader rather than an election of the general public.

In terms of Brexit, Article 50 has been invoked, and we will leave as soon as the mandatory 2 years is up, we are currently negotiating leaving, we will then negotiate our future relationship with the EU.

In terms of Trump it's entirely up to him if he visits, we have invited him, not just to a visit but to a full state visit.

Trump has not been told he will not be able to make a speech in Parliament, and the Speaker of the House John Bercow has no powers to stop Mr Trump and should be impartial in his role as Speaker.

Trump may also be invited to speak at Mansion House by the Lord Mayor of London and will be innvited to inspect the members of the Queens Guard, as well as attending a banquet either at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.

We have made the invitation, it's up to Trump and his administration at to when they want to attend, however it is normal practice for a President to be in power for at least a few years before attending a full state visit.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
They wouldn't have done it at all if Obama wasn't backing it, even by leading from behind. How does that make it that different from British and French help in Iraq and Afghanistan?
There were no French troops in Iraq. "Freedom Fries", "Old Europe", remember?

Afghanistan was (and still to a large extent is) perceived as a war that had to be fought. Article 5 activation was offered, even the Germans offered troops (and I cannot emphasize enough what a colossal thing it is for Germany to send troops overseas to fight, they have bad memories in that respect.)

The European reaction to the Iraq venture was very different. A lot of people felt that GWB tried to cash in on the Afghanistan support to carry on with his hobby-horse war of choice, and that caused widespread resentment.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
What is it with your country and elections? Do you just keep having them until the powers that be get the vote they want?
Parliamentary system. You don't get to lock down government for 4 years at a time, which has its advantages. May is on extremely shaky ground at the moment, a bunch of her MPs aren't fans of Brexit at all.

Quote:
Is Brexit ever going to happen?
Probably, and much to the UK's loss. Turns out it wasn't so easy as the populists said it would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies