Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:54 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Why is the Opioid Epidemic Hitting Rural America Particularly Hard? | Iowa Public Radio

The more I take road trips, the more I realize that unless it is a mountain or water recreation area the more problems rural America tends to have.

Most of rural America if not in a scenic area that attracts rich retirees is basically nothing more then a bunch of heroin, meth, elephant tranquilizer usage and binge drinking.

Here in Nebraska, the heroin use rate is the likely the lowest in America but the rates of alcoholism and eating addictions is very high.

For example, rates of obesity in many of non-ranching, non-urban areas are in the 35% to 37% range similar to the rates in Mississippi and West Virginia.

I know here in Nebraska, most people who have rural county license places that come to shop are a good 50 to 100 pounds more then the typical Omahan.

The rate of obesity in Omaha is about 27% and in the rural counties around Omaha it is about 35 to 37% which is about what it is in deep south.

County Health Rankings & Roadmaps

Obviously, I can't stereotype all of rural America as scenic areas like Aspen, Vail, Park City and Bend are likely some of the healthiest places in America.
Have you been to Omaha lately?
For Omaha, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon.
Omaha crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-22-2017 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:59 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
I may be wrong but I have felt that diversity is a lot less welcomed in big parts of white rural America.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:04 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I may be wrong but I have felt that diversity is a lot less welcomed in big parts of white rural America.
That's why Trump performed so well in rural, sparsely populated areas. They are populated by people that by and large tend to be very insular and ignorant. They tend to have very little contact with Blacks, Hispanics, immigrants, Muslims, etc and that's why they are so scared ... it's not racism (well, there's some of that too) but rather lack of familiarity.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's why Trump performed so well in rural, sparsely populated areas. They are populated by people that by and large tend to be very insular and ignorant. They tend to have very little contact with Blacks, Hispanics, immigrants, Muslims, etc and that's why they are so scared ... it's not racism (well, there's some of that too) but rather lack of familiarity.
Why do you think Hillary "performed so well" in Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, New Orleans, and Philly? Are you asserting insularity, lack of familiarity, and ignorance are the main reasons citizens voted for Hillary overwhelmingly in these geographic areas?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-11-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-11-2017, 01:09 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Why is the Opioid Epidemic Hitting Rural America Particularly Hard? | Iowa Public Radio
Most of rural America if not in a scenic area that attracts rich retirees is basically nothing more then a bunch of heroin, meth, elephant tranquilizer usage and binge drinking.
You should take a detour through our inner city neighborhoods. Wow.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:10 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Obama voters are brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Old 06-11-2017, 01:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The race card gets played!

Old 06-11-2017, 01:13 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
I think with drugs, it's more that your circle is much smaller and you can literally get your entire peer group addicted within months. I've seen it in Michigan with coke, I imagine it's the same thing with heroin and meth. Usually one or two start getting into it, then they start turning their friends onto it during the regular weekend party. Before you know it, the original guys are full out dealers and everyone is addicted.
Have you ever read one of the rural cookbooks the churches sell? Every recipe is unhealthy. Their diet never adapted from the work all day lifestyle. It's not like it was healthy then but at least you worked most of the calories off.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:18 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Obamaha - S'wut!

Old 06-11-2017, 01:47 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
[quote=my54ford;48467992]Have you been to Omaha lately?
For Omaha, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon.
Omaha crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

2017 homicides - Omaha homicide victims and information - Omaha.com - Omaha World-Herald

Omaha has had 12 homicides this year with a population of about 445,000 people. Omaha homicide rate barely register compared to Des Moines (which is about three times as high), Kansas City (is about five times as high), St. Louis (is about eight times the rate).

Anymore, watching the 10PM news in Omaha, the vast majority of the negative news comes from rural Iowa and rural Nebraska.

Nebraskans are lucky that Omaha is such as rich city and the city of 445,000 people is able to support the rest of the 1.4 million residents scattered over the state.

Amazing how rich Omaha is, compared to much of the rest of Nebraska. The rural areas with the extended periods of rock-bottom commodity prices are turning rural Nebraska into a downward spiral.

Certain states such as West Virginia and Mississippi don't have such a rich big city to diminish the poverty and social issues in the rest of the state.

Regardless, rural Nebraska and Iowa towns have alot of issues and the local news. There seem to be a huge amount amount of drunk driving crashes.

Nebraska has extremely low heroin death rate, but extremely high rates of alcoholism and obesity rates in many rural counties are similar to the delta of Mississippi.

Ranching counties in Western Nebraska tend to be about 10 percentage points lower on obesity then the grain producing areas of Eastern Nebraska.

I know in Colorado there is a huge issue with extremely high suicide rates in many rural areas of the state.

In general, the only rural areas that do very well on health indicators tend to be the very scenic areas around lakes, mountains and oceans that attract well-off retirees and people who tend to be high-wage people who don't have to go to a physical work-place. Areas like this are places such as Douglas County, Nevada and Pitkin and Summit County, Colorado

Last edited by Yac; 06-22-2017 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies