Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
My grandmother came to US in 1914. She lived to be 89 and never learned more than a few words of English. And she always voted Republican!
Same with my great grandmother- same era and same party.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:05 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,381,475 times
I can agree that that there should be only one official language in the USA and that is English.

However, knowing a second language has many benefits based on certain studies. One study even suggested that knowing a second language helps to stave off dementia and Alzheimers. We should encourage learning another language and not discourage them.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sure many do learn English but many also won't speak it unless they have to. They don't seem to want to make it their primary language of usage out in mainstream.
Who cares? Nobody does

Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 AM

275 posts, read 184,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do not think anyone is saying people should not speak more than one language. Of course it can be a plus. Look at our presidents wife, she speaks 3 languages. The point is: if you want to live in a country you should be able to speak the language. I remember back in 4th or 5th grade, young boy came in to our class as a new student. He was directly from Italy. His parents and older sister had only been in our country a few weeks. He spoke absolutely no English and there certainly were no classes for foreign students. by the end of the school year he spoke perfect English as did his sister. His parents opened a small Italian restaurant in town. They never were proficient in English but learned enough to make a go of the restaurant. This was in 1947.
I was answering to the OP talking about being saddled with being able to speak two languages. His words, which I (and a bunch of scientific papers) don't agree with.

Most immigrants are divided into two groups: educated and uneducated. The first group usually speaks quite fluent English even before coming into this country. The second group usually learns enough to go by, most of them are illiterate even in their native language! I wouldn't expect them to be able to excel in a second language (as a group, there are always exceptions to the rule). But they know that if they want their children to succeed, they need English so second generations are taught in school, most of those households end speaking a mix of languages at home.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 AM

62,696 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'll take a non-English speaking worker in various food service vocations over an unemployed English speaking loser hoping for a Trump-gifted job any day.

Ah, the ole "lazy American" nonsense once again. So typical! Most Americans are not lazy regardless of what type of job they hold. We didn't get to be the most successful nation on this earth by having a multitude of lazy citizens.

Hmm, why would you mentions non-English speaking workers in the food service industry? Sounds like you are speaking of illegal aliens to me. There are millions of hard working Americans working in that industry.

Last edited by Oldglory; 06-12-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Who cares? Nobody does

You speak for most Americans now?

Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,125,167 times
I have a friend, she speaks what most people would consider to be 'broken English.' But she is well understood - well enough that she holds down a pretty good job.

I have heard others at other times comment on how she needs to "learn better English', these same people seem to think she is stupid or something; yet at the same time I also know that in addition to Tagalog and English, she speaks some French and I think a little Spanish. Far more languages that most of the Americans I know.

It is time Americans get over the fact that other people speak other languages. If anyone on this planet can be considered idiots based on language abilities, it is probably us.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,018,203 times
Quote:
Hayseedville? Most immigrants don't settle in rural areas they settle in the big cities where the jobs are. Sure many do learn English but many also won't speak it unless they have to. They don't seem to want to make it their primary language of usage out in mainstream. Unfortunately, in this country they aren't encouraged to do as they pander to in their native tongues instead.

So basically, you don't want them speaking their mother language? Bizarre. Ethnic enclaves are not exactly new. Does it bother you to hear a couple of old guys in any given city's Little Italy (or Little Korea or Chinatown or insert-ethnicity-here) and hear them speaking their native language?

Why?

Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:
You speak for most Americans now?
Yes I do, and most are indifferent and definitely not demanding sll foreigners speak English even in their house

Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I can agree that that there should be only one official language in the USA and that is English.

However, knowing a second language has many benefits based on certain studies. One study even suggested that knowing a second language helps to stave off dementia and Alzheimers. We should encourage learning another language and not discourage them.

I disagree, there are many more useful things a person can learn to stimulate their brain. It's a waste of time to learn a language you will never use. Here in the USA 99% of the time English is all that is needed. There are "immigrants" (and I use that term loosely) that have been here for decades and never bothered to learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies