Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
One thing to note is that you will see that in all cases the 2nd Gen immigrants always speak fluent English because they are fully integrated in society (schools etc).
That's not how it worked in Wisconsin in the 1800's, actually. Here you found many second and even third generation native speakers of German and Polish. But in general, yes you are correct and Hispanic immigrants are on track to becoming linguistically assimilated. About 96% of their children speak English fluently.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If they became citizens the RIGHT way, they would have learned at least the basics.
You can only become a citizen by naturalization and birth. Where is the issue exactly?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is to me if you know how to speak English or if you reside here and refuse to learn it.
Funny. I always learned that it was rude to eavesdrop on others private conversations in public, whatever the language they were speaking. Mind your own business and you'll be happier!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:43 AM

181 posts, read 378,585 times
I wonder how many Italians who came here, legally and illegally, died never learning English, or having a full grasp of it?

Old 06-12-2017, 10:43 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
That's not how it worked in Wisconsin in the 1800's, actually. Here you found many second and even third generation native speakers of German and Polish. But in general, yes you are correct and Hispanic immigrants are on track to becoming linguistically assimilated. About 96% of their children speak English fluently.
well, then

Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I understand the point OP is making.

It isn’t racist to expect immigrants to the US to learn how to speak English. Would it be easier for the individual immigrants to be productive members of society if they could speak the national language?

Add: I can speak English, Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin only), and German. I am the only person who can speak Japanese in my family because I spent several years there. I think learning any types of new language is not easy.
In my humble opinion, immigrants who got off the boat at Ellis Island, such as many people's grandparents, had ZERO social services available to them in the USA. In the early 1900s, there were no court-provided translators, no Social Security, no food stamps or other public assistance. Young children learned English before their parents, and even taught classes in places of worship (churches and synagogues) to adults.
Question. How does anyone know that the person speaking some other language doesn't know English, but just prefers to speak in their own language? Don't you think that getting upset about what someone else is doing when it has no effect on you (the person getting upset) is kind of silly.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Well, they aren't required to do so, and never will be. It's going to be a long life for you if hearing foreign languages upsets you.

I moved to Spain several years ago, and enrolled in an immersion language program. I only spoke English with my SO and native English-speaking friends (as well as some local friends, since their English was excellent and I struggled with the language).

It never in a million years occurred to me that someone would bizarrely resent me speaking my native language. And if I found out it did, I'd never in a million years speak a different language to appease such a strange complaint.
Agreed! And it can be absolutely exhausting to speak in a language that you are learning. I remember many a day heading home to my apartment in a non-English speaking country and feeling like I had run a marathon just from struggling to understand and make myself understood. It was such a relief to get a chance to listen to and speak English for a bit after a full day of working in my L2. I don't think anyone who has put the effort in to learn another language would ever begrudge an immigrant the chance to kick back and communicate in their native language.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Question. How does anyone know that the person speaking some other language doesn't know English, but just prefers to speak in their own language? Don't you think that getting upset about what someone else is doing when it has no effect on you (the person getting upset) is kind of silly.
Answer: I don't have a problem with people speaking any languages in public.

As a matter of fact, I posted, It is always rude to exclude people from conversations. But if two people speak their own language in public and they just mind their own businesses , I don't think it is that much of a big deal. It is just my humble opinion.

Not sure why you quoted me??? Your post and your question has nothing to do with my post. Why why why do you choose me to quote? (question mark)

Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
I wonder how many Italians who came here, legally and illegally, died never learning English, or having a full grasp of it?
I used to live in the Italian section of Boston. I came across plenty of people there who didn't speak any English (even in customer-facing jobs).

Old 06-12-2017, 10:50 AM

well, like I posted earlier

People here are conflating two different questions.

One question is, “Should immigrants learn to speak English?”

The other question is, “Should non-native English speakers have to speak English in public?”

Advocating for immigrants to learn English is NOT bigoted. Demanding that immigrants speak English in public is not necessary.

The topic is certainly not about hispanic community. sheesh. people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies