Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
You are not a scientist, he is and not only is he a educated scientist, but he is a founder of one of the main weather sources in the world.

I thought his degree was in journalism?

Old 06-12-2017, 11:05 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so apparently scientists who recognize the fact that the earth heats and cools periodically, and does so naturally, are not scientists but hacks to the alarmists, but only because they go against what the alarmists believe.

also one thing i have never understood, if we properly break down the word "meteorology" it is the study of meteors. and what is a meteor? it is a rock floating in space. so how does studying a rock floating in space let us know what the weather on this planet is going to be? and then we wonder why weather reporters can never truly predict the weather.
What scientists do you refer to you that deny man-made climate change? How about a link showing an actual climate change scientist that denies man-made climate change?

Here's what NASA says:

<<The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 2.0 degrees Fahrenheit (1.1 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.5 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with 16 of the 17 warmest years on record occurring since 2001. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months.>>

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Of course, like other climate change deniers, you don't even want to address the warming of the oceans or the acidification of the oceans due to carbon absorption.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:21 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Zero qualifications? Nope. He was an accepted and award-winning member of the AMS.
He isn't a climate scientist, he is a weatherman and I have not seen him back up anything with facts. Fox News and others agree with his point of view so his professional background doesn't matter as long as he is singing their song. It's not easy to find those that are still climate deniers, but they found the needle in the haystack.

They could have invited climate scientists from NASA or NOAA but they still would not be convinced.

Last edited by Goodnight; 06-12-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-12-2017, 11:29 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He isn't a climate scientist, he is a weatherman and I have not seen him back up anything with facts. Fox News and others agree with his point of view so his professional background doesn't matter as long as he is signing their song. It's not easy to find those that are still climate deniers, but they found the needle in the haystack.

They could have invited climate scientists from NASA or NOAA but they still would not be convinced.
Ok, so "Authority" only matters when it is your "authority".

Ok.. good to know.

So, what classes are required to become a "climate scientist". Maybe you can get to the nity gritty for us?

What math and physics are they required to have?

I mean, they use A LOT of models and statistics, which requires a FIRM understanding of mathematical principals. Also, they are studying the physics of the world, so naturally they have a solid education in the physics right? I mean, because of their focus, surely they make engineers look like novices in their education in physics right?

So, show us the typical education requirements for a "climate scientist" degree.

I am sure some of the lowly engineers and mathematicians here would love to see how truly educated these climate science grads are in such fields?

Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Ok, so "Authority" only matters when it is your "authority".

Ok.. good to know.

So, what classes are required to become a "climate scientist". Maybe you can get to the nity gritty for us?

What math and physics are they required to have?

I mean, they use A LOT of models and statistics, which requires a FIRM understanding of mathematical principals. Also, they are studying the physics of the world, so naturally they have a solid education in the physics right? I mean, because of their focus, surely they make engineers look like novices in their education in physics right?

So, show us the typical education requirements for a "climate scientist" degree.

I am sure some of the lowly engineers and mathematicians here would love to see how truly educated these climate science grads are in such fields?
There is nothing typical about climate scientists but they mostly have degrees in physics, math or earth & climate science, but the one thing they have in common is research. I'm going to go with the climate scientists at NASA and other organizations that perform actual research, others can use John Coleman and Anthony Watt, slim pickings.

Dr. Gavin Schmidt the head of Goddard Institute of Space Studies has a PhD in applied mathematics, quite an impressive resume with around 40 research papers on climate. So let me see who do I believe, Dr. Schmidt or the weatherman from San Diego, tough choice.

Quote:
Brief Bio Postdoc at McGill University 1994-1996; NOAA Climate and Global Change fellow at NASA GISS in New York (1996-1998), Associate Research Scientist at Columbia University (1998-2004), NASA GISS from 2004. Director from 2014.

Research Interests

Coupled climate modeling

Development, application and evaluation of coupled ocean-atmosphere-composition climate models.

Paleoclimate

Investigation of changes in past climate and what they can reveal about model skill and future changes.

Detection and attribution of Climate change

Exploring the fingerprints of forced and internal changes in the climate record and in models to better understand why climate changed in the past, why it is changing now and how it might change in the future.

Current Projects

GISS ModelE development

Construction, expansion and evaluation of the GISS ModelE coupled GCM.

Education

B.A. (Hons) Mathematics, Oxford University, 1988
PhD in Applied Mathematics, University College London, 1994

https://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/gavin.a.schmidt

Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,700,375 times
OKay.... so, if the climate changes some, either warming or cooling... or an extended el nino or la nina happens to create drought or the opposite for years in a row... whether it is due to human behavior or not, isn't it a cause for concern? Doesn't it affect the humans, along with everything else, no matter why it is happening? Or, are the deniers saying it isn't happening at all?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Here is a hint for you, none of that matters when it concerns Science. either you establish your position among the processes of the scientific method, or you are a charlatan.

What the hell does "research" even mean? Hell, an idiot can research how to pick the crust out of their arse hole, but it doesn't mean they have a valid position. So I have no clue what a stupid comment like "research" means.

I understand scientific validity, but not stupid meaningless words like "research" to establish ones position. It is almost like you think that the stacking of correlations establishes something? Oh wait, you folks do.. you think science is bunk and promote appeal to authority, consensus, and horse shoe science as evidence.

He is also one of those specifically implicated in the Climate gate emails for his unethical activity and comments concerning the politics of this issue. He is also one who used government resources to setup a site to promote the politics of global warming "realclimate.com" and has been shown NUMEROUS times to be a politician for the "The Cause" (Anyone who doesn't understand "The Cause" needs to read the climate gate emails and see how these idiots, liars, charlatans, oh... I am sorry, I mean government scientists have been pushing politics).
Since an "idiot can do research" then why hasn't John Coleman, maybe he can take apart one of his papers or at least provide some specific facts surround his denier stance. I guess anyone can be an climate expert since there basically are no requirements, any public figure with a minimal background can qualify.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Let me pull a page from your book:

You are not a scientist, he is and not only is he a educated scientist, but he is a founder of one of the main weather sources in the world.

So, who are you to even question him? Isn't that what you folks say? Appeals to authority? You have the audacity to call him a denier when your education isn't even worth licking the boots of him? Go ahead, spin your way out of that one, and remember... you are the one who promotes "appeals to authority" and uses politically charged words like "denier" to spread your hate.
He is NOT a scientist. He has a bachelors degree in journalism. His award from the AMS was as Broadcast Meteorologist of the Year (1983), meaning he does a good job talking about weather on TV.

A credible authority on this subject would have a PhD in climatology or atmospheric physics, with research experience and publications in peer-reviewed journals.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:16 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
He is NOT a scientist. He has a bachelors degree in journalism. His award from the AMS was as Broadcast Meteorologist of the Year (1983), meaning he does a good job talking about weather on TV.

A credible authority on this subject would have a PhD in climatology or atmospheric physics, with research experience and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
So, is ones position invalidated by such?

Go ahead, tell me that an argument or evidence to a position is invalidated simply by status.

Please tell me this.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
OKay.... so, if the climate changes some, either warming or cooling... or an extended el nino or la nina happens to create drought or the opposite for years in a row... whether it is due to human behavior or not, isn't it a cause for concern? Doesn't it affect the humans, along with everything else, no matter why it is happening? Or, are the deniers saying it isn't happening at all?
It should be a cause for all to be concerned, almost all agree that is warming but some remain as you can see, and most agree that man is the cause. I can understand a certain amount of doubt relative to impact but to totally deny man's impact is not substantiated.

The argument usually runs along the lines that it was warmer in the past and it is warming again, it's part of a natural cycle. But there is no valid explanation other than CO2 increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies