Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:57 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,691,824 times

Advertisements

Carter was unable to come up with anything to counter Reagan and the Republican's "back channel" negotiations to keep the hostages in Iran until after Carter lost the election.

This, of course, was followed up by the whole Iran-Contra arms deal mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM

23,841 posts, read 14,968,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Secret Service books all indicate he was a big micromanaging phony. This particular book, which covered the families between JFK and Obama period (presumably because those agents were still alive to tell their stories) made it clear that Carter was the worst (but they seemed to like Miss Lillian, Carter's mother). It does not talk about anything political merely how the families (and a few others with Secret Service protection) treated the hired help and acted in private (the Bush twins were a handful) plus problems of the Secret Service. They seemed to like Barbara Bush the best. I have the book but here is some info from it on Jimmy Carter:

"In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes With Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect" by Ronald Kessler

Secret Service Hated Jimmy Carter

Obama just got into office when the book was published but I assume they were assigned to him as a candidate, too. They liked him and Biden and again, we're talking about how they treated people who worked in the White House (and their pilots/drivers).
Were the Secret Service agents who hated Carter the same ones who were drunk and disorderly in SOuth America? The ones who stiffed the hookers so much the hookers called the cops? Those Secret Service agents? I wouldn't let them near my dog.

I would never trust an agent who talked about his detail outside work.That book is BS

Old 06-12-2017, 11:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,932,524 times
Quote:
The Secret Service books all indicate he was a big micromanaging phony. This particular book, which covered the families between JFK and Obama period (presumably because those agents were still alive to tell their stories) made it clear that Carter was the worst (but they seemed to like Miss Lillian, Carter's mother). It does not talk about anything political merely how the families (and a few others with Secret Service protection) treated the hired help and acted in private (the Bush twins were a handful) plus problems of the Secret Service. They seemed to like Barbara Bush the best. I have the book but here is some info from it on Jimmy Carter:

"In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes With Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect" by Ronald Kessler

Obama just got into office when the book was published but I assume they were assigned to him as a candidate, too. They liked him and Biden and again, we're talking about how they treated people who worked in the White House (and their pilots/drivers).
I once heard a Secret Service person say that anybody who writes a book about all those things, would likely not be anybody who had regular access to the President. They suggested that the folks close to the action have never told their story and those that have -- kind of made it up to seel a book. Not sure of the validity of all that...but I suspect it is true. I suspect they are asked to sign non-disclosures if they are in close access to the First Family.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:47 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Amazing...that guy has brain cancer and he's STILL rolling.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:56 AM

7,583 posts, read 6,052,104 times
Would love to have been able to shake his hand and say HI

Did ya know that up until a few years ago, when his health would no longer permit, he still taught Sunday school classes at his hometown church? While I do not go to church, I think it is admirable that he still has time for people in his community, to volunteer to and take the time to prepare and deliver a class.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,822,733 times
Samuel L. Jackson was also on the plane but declined to shake Carter's hand, stating that he was "tired of all these mother f**king shakes on this mother f**king plane".

Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,292,775 times
Quote:

I heard the same as the link back n the day. And working for the govt with Pres Carter as my boss I can confirm even at my lowly level

Still he has done the post presidential things nicely

Old 06-12-2017, 12:21 PM

937 posts, read 695,741 times
He was the last real president we had. His downfall was the people he put in charge of the countries economics were just poor choices.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 PM

23,841 posts, read 14,968,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I heard the same as the link back n the day. And working for the govt with Pres Carter as my boss I can confirm even at my lowly level

Still he has done the post presidential things nicely
Did you have personal contact? Any co workers? Rumor? Some people were really nasty about his daughter.

Due to work, a very close relative has had contact with Carter, H Bush, W Bush and Clinton. Carter, H and W Bush are nice to the help.

Bill Clinton is a real jerk.

H Bush will give the help a ride home in the middle of the night if their car is at another airport.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Some might also be surprised that Carter was also a nuclear engineer.

He personally put his own life in danger and traveled to the Three Mile Island nuclear plant to help diffuse that issue as it was getting out of hand.
I didn't know this. And he still couldn't say 'nuclear' properly?

He wasn't a great president, but he's a great humanitarian and human being.

God bless him - he looks really healthy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies