Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:31 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Sikhs and Muslims look nothing alike. Sikhs in particular have very distinct customs and attire. Even names - if a guy's last name is Singh or a woman's last name is Kaur, they're probably Sikh.

How do people possibly mix them up?
Because most people don't know this. Or even know what Sikhism is.

'Murica!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,628 times
You know what I'm sick and tired of? People default to whining about the liberal media literally for every argument.

The article at no point actually blames Trump directly. There's a suggestion that his rhetoric could be viewed as a justification for those who already hold negative opinions of Middle Eastern people. They even mention an employee at Cal State San Bernadino saying that correlation on this does not equal causation, and instead points to a general political climate that does involve Trump but can't be pinned on him directly.

But no, a ****ing tomato screaming about a war for your mind told you that the liberal media is the problem, so that must be true...

Old 06-12-2017, 03:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
You know what I'm sick and tired of? People default to whining about the liberal media literally for every argument.

The article at no point actually blames Trump directly. There's a suggestion that his rhetoric could be viewed as a justification for those who already hold negative opinions of Middle Eastern people. They even mention an employee at Cal State San Bernadino saying that correlation on this does not equal causation, and instead points to a general political climate that does involve Trump but can't be pinned on him directly.

But no, a ****ing tomato screaming about a war for your mind told you that the liberal media is the problem, so that must be true...
It doesn't blame Trump ?
The headline blames Trump . Are you serious ?

Yeah that's the problem with the left it's all about "suggestions" and "possible scenarios"
Rather than facts .

"If trump wins the KKK might get bigger!"

"If trump wins the stock market will crash right away!"

"If trump wins ... x might happen "

Now we see none of that happened

Liberals are like boy who cried wolf .

Old 06-12-2017, 03:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Because most people don't know this. Or even know what Sikhism is.

'Murica!
I must have slept through that section of Things That Have Zero Impact On My Life 101 in college.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

You're sick and tired of people but the newspaper gets a pass with a headline like that ok

Old 06-12-2017, 04:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, the only people they should blame are terrorists (not muslims) and those ignorant folks who don't have any common sense.

There are many reasons not to like Trump, but this is not one of them.

I have a friend whose grandpa was interned during ww2. (They were Japanese). His grandpa said there were many Chinese, Koreans, and other Asians wearing a sign says (I am not a J ap) outside because they were afraid of being attacked. Can you blame them? You can't.

Who is the president makes zero difference.
Weird cause word was Koreans AND even "Chinese" people from Taiwan were counted as "Japanese" under US law during that time. I know some Hispanics of even part Japanese family FROM LatAm were also kicked out of their countries and put in the US internment camps.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:11 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Weird cause word was Koreans AND even "Chinese" people from Taiwan were counted as "Japanese" under US law during that time. I know some Hispanics of even part Japanese family FROM LatAm were also kicked out of their countries and put in the US internment camps.
I think the rule is that Those who were as little as 1/16 Japanese could be placed in internment camps.

I had a relative who has been interned. She looked nothing like a typical Japanese. She happened to be in the west coast.

She blamed the Democratic party (that is what I heard). I think she was just delusional. You can't blame ANYBODY in my opinion. Yes, it sucks that people didn't trust you or hated you, but that is just human nature.

For example, I lost several friends in the battle field. I hate the war and I also hate the fake ass anti-war (aka the real anti-soldier) folks.

I also hate those who wanted to kill my friends (although I can understand their emotions.) It is what it is.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:20 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Remember that book "Black Like Me"? It was big in the 60s.

About a white journalist who stained his face black and went out to see what it was like to be black in the US. Educated a lot of people as to what it was really like, and showed that it was not exaggeration that being black was a different reality.

I would really love some of the white people who complain about things like this Sikh man, to put on some muslim garb, go wander around and see how you are treated by people like you just to get a sense of the reality of it and how crappy it makes people feel to be judged and looked down upon by the way they look or dress.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Remember that book "Black Like Me"? It was big in the 60s.

About a white journalist who stained his face black and went out to see what it was like to be black in the US. Educated a lot of people as to what it was really like, and showed that it was not exaggeration that being black was a different reality.

I would really love some of the white people who complain about things like this Sikh man, to put on some muslim garb, go wander around and see how you are treated by people like you just to get a sense of the reality of it and how crappy it makes people feel to be judged and looked down upon by the way they look or dress.
Nobody is complaining about them. Some folks are saying that it has nothing to do with Trump.

Like I posted earlier, blame the ignorant people who have no common sense, blame the terrorists who committed all these terrible crimes against humanity. Blame Trump is not the answer.

You (the general term) don't have to like trump and you perhaps have many reasons not to like him. But blame him for this? Seems unreasonable.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I must have slept through that section of Things That Have Zero Impact On My Life 101 in college.
What is this post even in reference to?

Why did you even comment on this thread if it doesn't affect you? Have some freaking empathy...good lord.

It doesn't affect me, either (I'm a white dude who would never be mistaken for a Muslim from the Middle East...). But it does affect people I know. And it's not cool to have to constantly correct people that you're not a Muslim (it's interesting that being Muslim is now considered a problem...but that's an entirely different discussion).

Do you contend that most Americans are knowledgeable enough to know what Sikhism is and that it is distinct from Islam? My experience says otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies