Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knowing what you know now, would you have served, if called?
Yes 39 45.88%
No 37 43.53%
I am not sure. 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Looking back is exactly the point. Looking back and examining your life and experiences to determine what you would do then, based on what you know now. This is a political and controversial subject based in a philosophic exercise.

To everyone else, I remind you all, this thread is not about what your did or did not do back then.

The question is... knowing what you know now about life, your life, your country, et al... Would you serve if called - based on what you know now.

Probably. That is based partially on what Some south Vietnamese refugees have told me,one of the saddest points made was they felt the united states abandoned them by leaving and then not giving them the munitions they were promised...........

North Vietnam Invades 1975
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 AM

7,819 posts, read 4,540,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What duty is that? Most Wars are about resources serving Corporate interests. As for Ali? He didn't want to kill a fellow human being in Vietnam for some crazy right wing ideology that thought Communism was really going to destroy America.

Wars are profitable go ask Dick Cheney.
Love of country is the BS they sell to you at a recruiting office! Thankfully I went to college.
Worthwhile to watch the man speak for himself:

https://youtu.be/vd9aIamXjQI

BTW - Cheney took five deferments. Skated by entirely.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:04 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,090,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
NO, he didn't. But he had a few more than Joe Louis had on Jan. 10, 1942.
And that's good enough? You should serve your country even when they give you only partial rights while giving its white citizens FULL rights?

You should go to war and fight for the ideal of being disenfranchised?

Lemme guess... you're one of those conservatives that believes strongly in freedom, justice and the right to pursue happiness? Would being stripped of half your rights make YOU happy? That's worth going off to shoot a Vietnamese citizen for?

Your post is a revelation. You told on yourself. In your opinion, a black man should be happy with only a portion of the rights that YOU fully enjoy, and he should be so happy to get even that, that he should risk his life for it.

Why? Because some other black dude that had even less rights was willing to fight for that same ideal, and of course, they're all alike anyway.

And what gratitude did Joe Louis get from his country? He was hounded until his death by the IRS. Furthermore, patriotic companies like Coca Cola gave his Nazi nemesis (Schmeling) a distributorship after the war. What did they do for Louis? Not a damn thing.

LMAO @ "he had a few more than Joe Louis."

Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,216,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
"we" destabilized the region? So......the people of said countries had no influence on the events taking place in their country? I think too many people seem to think "we" are that powerful.......I think not.
How can you deny the role the US played in that region over the past twenty years? We absolutely had a huge role in destabilizing that entire region - worse than it already was.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:42 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,090,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How can you deny the role the US played in that region over the past twenty years? We absolutely had a huge role in destabilizing that entire region - worse than it already was.
He's in denial.

The United States has been the world's biggest destabilizer of regions for decades, and as Americans, we should be embarrassed about it. But instead, we keep doing it because so many of our citizens are in denial and won't hold their elected representatives accountable.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,013,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He's in denial.

The United States has been the world's biggest destabilizer of regions for decades, and as Americans, we should be embarrassed about it. But instead, we keep doing it because so many of our citizens are in denial and won't hold their elected representatives accountable.
Their 401k is more important than the lives of others.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:31 PM

46,191 posts, read 26,946,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The terms aren't mutually exclusive. That means they can overlap.

Don't bust a gasket.

I do a pretty good belly chuckle reading your posts, when you probably even know you're posting is wrong....

Old 06-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I know...no America hating black man would serve his country, right?
You like to lie, I see......Is that what I said, or are you doing the leftist twist of words?

I was hoping that you could provide links that I had not found, with a little more credibility....but, I'll accept them.....

Quote:
Where were your boys Bush and Cheney?
Bush served, cheney was sitting right next to your boy slick willie....

Old 06-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Did Cassius Clay have the same rights as you in 1957?
The post you replied to, may have said n957, but what does that have to do with ali?

Old 06-13-2017, 04:49 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,992,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
"we" destabilized the region? So......the people of said countries had no influence on the events taking place in their country? I think too many people seem to think "we" are that powerful.......I think not.
Iraq didn't ask to be invaded and then occupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies