Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Knowing what you know now, would you have served, if called?
Yes 39 45.88%
No 37 43.53%
I am not sure. 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:49 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,105,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What duty is that? Most Wars are about resources serving Corporate interests. As for Ali? He didn't want to kill a fellow human being in Vietnam for some crazy right wing ideology that thought Communism was really going to destroy America.

Wars are profitable go ask Dick Cheney.
Love of country is the BS they sell to you at a recruiting office! Thankfully I went to college.
Yeah, plus he made lots more money and got more fame in the ring entertaining the public then he would have out in the field fighting for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 09:50 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,810,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
no, I would poop and pee in my pants for a week and than show up for my physical hoping for my general stars and baton

---The Noooooge
Old Ted said his career was much too important for him to serve, while others in his day did.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,105,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What duty is that? Most Wars are about resources serving Corporate interests. As for Ali? He didn't want to kill a fellow human being in Vietnam for some crazy right wing ideology that thought Communism was really going to destroy America.

Wars are profitable go ask Dick Cheney.
Love of country is the BS they sell to you at a recruiting office! Thankfully I went to college.
Please share with me your first hand experience(s) at a recruiting office you speak of. I didn't get any of that when I was enlisting and now I think I feel cheated.

This was actually what I mostly remember seeing in the recruiting office when I enlisted:

Old 06-13-2017, 09:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,216,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Or he could have gone and got a cushy job like Al Gore.

I was there in 1968 and 69 and Bien Hoa what's nearly stateside with flush toilets and everything. I saw Bien Hoa twice and that was arriving in country and leaving country after my one year tour was up. If you had to be there it was the safest place to be in the entire country.

Al Gore senior made sure junior would be safe.
Yep. Both used their positions of being rich and powerful to dodge the draft. If anyone thinks I'm going to knock some poor dude for "shirking his duty" in light of the fact that warmongers make sure their precious children never see combat, you're off your rocker.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:58 AM

27,011 posts, read 13,254,385 times
Much prefer the draught to the draft.

Draught beer - Wikipedia

Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,013,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Old Ted said his career was much too important for him to serve, while others in his day did.
What did they accomplish other than watching their friends die?

Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,323,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Neither me or my husband would. We are conscientious objectors who are opposed to violence (especially my husband, who is a Quaker).

I'm 26 and he's 32, so we're still young enough to be drafted if it's resurrected, and this where we stand on the issue. If we risked imprisonment, oh well. Better than being forced to do harm unto others.

DH's late father was Seventh Day Adventist, and he served a stint in the Army, though at a desk job rather than going to Korea. He still served, even though he also was a conscientious objector (at that time SDA's were discouraged from service in the armed forces, though it is different now). Other SDA's he knew who were drafted served in non-violent capacities...some of them medics who saved lives.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 AM

19,697 posts, read 10,034,106 times
I served in Vietnam. If I was young enough today, no I would not do it again.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:13 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Afghanistan wasn't just.

ISIS... that is our fault playing nation builder. We destabilized the region and allowed a power vacuum that's allowed ISIS to do their thing.

"we" destabilized the region? So......the people of said countries had no influence on the events taking place in their country? I think too many people seem to think "we" are that powerful.......I think not.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,994,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intok View Post
The taliban offered up Bin Laden to stand trial but Bush refused as there is no money to be made in that.
Bush rejects Taliban offer to hand Bin Laden over
The Taliban itself and Bin Laden himself both being backed by the US against the USSR, till we screwed them over. Hell, Rambo even went to go help them in Rambo 3, the movie is even dedicated to them.

ISIS only exists because we created them to keep the war going.

In Syria, militias armed by the Pentagon fight those armed by the CIA

Now the truth emerges: how the US fuelled the rise of Isis in Syria and Iraq

The Taliban agreed to only "talk" about it... and only if we stopped the bombing.

The North Vietnamese pulled that crap also...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies