Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My mistake, got lost in the context.
NP.

I understand voters need to be pragmatic and can't look for the perfect candidate.

I understand that it was better, for liberals, to choose Obama who was the best candidate on most issues.

Evangelicals felt that Trump was the best candidate on most issues.

My point is that you shouldn't blame the "other" party for not voting for the perfect candidate when you didn't vote for the perfect candidate. That is the hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
NP.

I understand voters need to be pragmatic and can't look for the perfect candidate.

I understand that it was better, for liberals, to choose Obama who was the best candidate on most issues.

Evangelicals felt that Trump was the best candidate on most issues.

My point is that you shouldn't blame the "other" party for not voting for the perfect candidate when you didn't vote for the perfect candidate. That is the hypocrisy.

Personally , I don't think there was even a good candidate in the last election, never mind a perfect one.

But I would love to hear an evangelical explain their support for Trump. I'm no Biblical scholar but I don't seem to recall Jesus ever preaching the accumulation of material wealth as a noble way of focusing and spending one's life, something Trump has said is how he keeps 'score'.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Personally , I don't think there was even a good candidate in the last election, never mind a perfect one.

But I would love to hear an evangelical explain their support for Trump. I'm no Biblical scholar but I don't seem to recall Jesus ever preaching the accumulation of material wealth as a noble way of focusing and spending one's life, something Trump has said is how he keeps 'score'.
When he spoke to them during the campaign, he said what they wanted to hear and they believed him.

Looking at his past, his actions didn't align with his rhetoric, which is why I didn't vote for him.

Is it more Christian to believe a man has changed and is telling the truth now or to judge him on his past? Since Christianity is pretty big on redemption, I'd say they were acting Christian by not judging him on his past.

Once again, I didn't vote for him.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:11 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What's hypocritical is the loony left decrying Trumps godlessness while the majority of the left is godless themselves.
What?!

"Nobody reads the Bible more than me!"

Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
The poster I responded to said evangelicals were hypocrites for voting Trump. What other choice did they have? That's right, Hillary was the other choice.
Then why aren't they calling the loudest for his impeachment? Then they can get Pence in there, and he's clearly a true evangelical.

I think the Christian Right should, at minimum, be calling Trump out on all his nonsense, if they're not hypocrites.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Then why aren't they calling the loudest for his impeachment? Then they can get Pence in there, and he's clearly a true evangelical.

I think the Christian Right should, at minimum, be calling Trump out on all his nonsense, if they're not hypocrites.
Were liberals hypocrites for voting for Obama when he was against gay marriage?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:19 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Hillary or (insert random name). Anyone but her.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:19 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
When he spoke to them during the campaign, he said what they wanted to hear and they believed him.

Looking at his past, his actions didn't align with his rhetoric, which is why I didn't vote for him.

Is it more Christian to believe a man has changed and is telling the truth now or to judge him on his past? Since Christianity is pretty big on redemption, I'd say they were acting Christian by not judging him on his past.

Once again, I didn't vote for him.

He has a pretty well documented history and I see little difference between its past and present. I have no frame of reference, I grew up in the NYC area so have heard about the man for a long time, I don't know what his national coverage was like?

And maybe I'm off on the definitions but don't 'Evangelicals' tend more towards fundamentalism than the average self-professed Christian?

Personally, I care little about elected officials' religious beliefs as long as they are able to separate them from their secular duties, I'm just curious why certain religious groups support certain candidates.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:25 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Trump's biggest problem is he is self absorbed. Everything is about him. He puts himself above God and country. He takes everything personal. He can not get above himself. If he is not the center of attention, it makes him angry. Only his opinion counts. He thinks he is smarter than any and everyone.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
He has a pretty well documented history and I see little difference between its past and present. I have no frame of reference, I grew up in the NYC area so have heard about the man for a long time, I don't know what his national coverage was like?

And maybe I'm off on the definitions but don't 'Evangelicals' tend more towards fundamentalism than the average self-professed Christian?

Personally, I care little about elected officials' religious beliefs as long as they are able to separate them from their secular duties, I'm just curious why certain religious groups support certain candidates.
In Houston, TX, you didn't really hear much about Trump until he entered the political arena as a "serious" candidate. Most people here just thought about him as some billionaire with a television show. Since it was his show, he was portrayed in a very positive manner.

When coverage of him ramped up, most negative press was just considered mud slinging.

I'd guess that would be true in most of the US.

I'd bet there is a radical difference in how Trump was perceived regionally pre-election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies