Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I can provide some, like the fact that Medicare Part D prescription costs drop in every area that medical pot is legalized:

Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Prescription Medication Use In Medicare Part D

Do you think that Big Phama doesn't know that? That money comes directly from their bottom line.

That's just the tip of the iceburg of what I could provide to you. I have been studying this for over 40 years. But I have learned that you will not look outside of your box, so trying to get you to see anything out of it is pointless. Regardless, here I am, breaking my own rule.
$150 million out of $50 billion? Won't pay for the lobbying costs.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:57 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
$150 million out of $50 billion? Won't pay for the lobbying costs.
Thank you for proving my point.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:16 PM

I in no way suggest there is no resistance to marijuana but big money? Does it get to 1% of the cost if a Presidential campaign?

In fact in the recent CA legalization drive the pros outspent the antis 10 to 1. And the cops and prison guards were down in the few hundred thousand range when the pros were donating $20 million.

Similar elsewhere...the pros outspending the antis 3 to 1.

Any lobbying would likely be the same with the antis well outspent.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Thank you for proving my point.
That is the gross numbes. Not worth any significant lobbying. And the pro pot types in CA spent way more than the drug cos in just CA.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times
Hey y'all, may I extend the official welcome to Alabama?
#1 in private prisons
#49 in education

I've been waiting years for Alabama to join the rest of the country, then I decided to make the rest of y'all join us. Welcome to backwards USA.

- Yours Truly, Jeff S., former Bama Attorney General

Old 06-13-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That is the gross numbes. Not worth any significant lobbying. And the pro pot types in CA spent way more than the drug cos in just CA.
You're so out of touch and not thinking about the future consequences of these numbers that it's almost painful.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:28 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:
I in no way suggest there is no resistance to marijuana but big money? Does it get to 1% of the cost if a Presidential campaign?

In fact in the recent CA legalization drive the pros outspent the antis 10 to 1. And the cops and prison guards were down in the few hundred thousand range when the pros were donating $20 million.

Similar elsewhere...the pros outspending the antis 3 to 1.

Any lobbying would likely be the same with the antis well outspent.
Big Pharma spent $880M between 2006 and 2015 to protect opioids, fight marijuana legalization.

Hardly small potatoes.

In a logical world, if the pro-cannabis folks were out spending the anti's 10 to 1, don't you think that cannabis laws would be changed nationwide by now?

MORE

[/quote]There is big money in marijuana prohibition. Lovell represented a police association in a bid to steer some $2.2 million dollars into a “Marijuana Suppression Program.” In 2009 and 2010, California police associations sought a $7,537,389 chunk of Federal money for police to conduct a “Campaign Against Marijuana Planting” program.
The anti-marijuana money went directly into the paychecks of many officers. For example, police departments in Shasta, Siskiyou, and Tehama Counties formed a “North California Eradication Team” to receive $550,000 in grants that helped pay for overtime, a new officer, and flight operations:

The total amount awarded was $550,000, to be split between Shasta, Siskiyou and Tehama counties, which make up the Northern California Marijuana Eradication Team (NorCal-MET). Broken down in the agenda worksheet, the sheriff’s office is expecting to spend $20,000 on flight operations, $94,895 for the full-time deputy’s salary and benefits, $16,788 for the administration assistant salary and benefits and $29,983 to cover up to 666.29 hours of overtime.
The Federal anti-marijuana honeypot might have dried up if Prop 19 had passed. Legalizing marijuana would have generated billions in tax revenue for the state of California, while also reducing victimless crime prosecutions. But for lobbyists like Lovell, legalization was a direct assault on hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential fees for helping to solicit taxpayer money for his clients.

Police associations also contributed about $100,500 to a campaign account used to coordinate opposition to Prop 19. Of the $386,350 in fees paid by police associations to Lovell through 2009 and 2010, status update reports reviewed by Republic Report reveal that Lovell worked on a number of issues, from advocacy against Prop 19 to channeling grants and monitoring legislation.

Of course, police associations aren’t the only interest group with a stake in maintaining broken drug laws. The beer industry, alcohol corporations, and prison guard interests also contributed money to help Lovell stop Prop 19. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now helps push for legalization as a citizen advocate, told Republic Report that drug company lobbyists also fight to keep marijuana illegal because they view pot as a low-cost form of competition. [/quote]

Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Big Pharma spent $880M between 2006 and 2015 to protect opioids, fight marijuana legalization.

Hardly small potatoes.

In a logical world, if the pro-cannabis folks were out spending the anti's 10 to 1, don't you think that cannabis laws would be changed nationwide by now?

MORE

There is big money in marijuana prohibition. Lovell represented a police association in a bid to steer some $2.2 million dollars into a “Marijuana Suppression Program.” In 2009 and 2010, California police associations sought a $7,537,389 chunk of Federal money for police to conduct a “Campaign Against Marijuana Planting” program.
The anti-marijuana money went directly into the paychecks of many officers. For example, police departments in Shasta, Siskiyou, and Tehama Counties formed a “North California Eradication Team” to receive $550,000 in grants that helped pay for overtime, a new officer, and flight operations:

The total amount awarded was $550,000, to be split between Shasta, Siskiyou and Tehama counties, which make up the Northern California Marijuana Eradication Team (NorCal-MET). Broken down in the agenda worksheet, the sheriff’s office is expecting to spend $20,000 on flight operations, $94,895 for the full-time deputy’s salary and benefits, $16,788 for the administration assistant salary and benefits and $29,983 to cover up to 666.29 hours of overtime.
The Federal anti-marijuana honeypot might have dried up if Prop 19 had passed. Legalizing marijuana would have generated billions in tax revenue for the state of California, while also reducing victimless crime prosecutions. But for lobbyists like Lovell, legalization was a direct assault on hundreds of thousands of dollars in potential fees for helping to solicit taxpayer money for his clients.

Police associations also contributed about $100,500 to a campaign account used to coordinate opposition to Prop 19. Of the $386,350 in fees paid by police associations to Lovell through 2009 and 2010, status update reports reviewed by Republic Report reveal that Lovell worked on a number of issues, from advocacy against Prop 19 to channeling grants and monitoring legislation.

Of course, police associations aren’t the only interest group with a stake in maintaining broken drug laws. The beer industry, alcohol corporations, and prison guard interests also contributed money to help Lovell stop Prop 19. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now helps push for legalization as a citizen advocate, told Republic Report that drug company lobbyists also fight to keep marijuana illegal because they view pot as a low-cost form of competition.
You are getting right up to prevarication. That is the lobbying spend for big pharma primarily to protect opioid usage. Most articles do not even mention pot. For example...

https://apnews.com/4d69f4b41cbc475ca...ts-amid-crisis

Again in the CA campaign in 2016 the pros outspent the antis 10 to 1.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
Hey y'all, may I extend the official welcome to Alabama?
#1 in private prisons
#49 in education

I've been waiting years for Alabama to join the rest of the country, then I decided to make the rest of y'all join us. Welcome to backwards USA.

- Yours Truly, Jeff S., former Bama Attorney General
Funny, but sadly true.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You are getting right up to prevarication. That is the lobbying spend for big pharma primarily to protect opioid usage. Most articles do not even mention pot. For example...

https://apnews.com/4d69f4b41cbc475ca...ts-amid-crisis

Again in the CA campaign in 2016 the pros outspent the antis 10 to 1.
Which has nothing to do with it.

The money I am referring to won't be found in any articles. It is corrupt money. Lots and lots of it. Some goes directly into lawmaker's pockets, the rest buys perks. "Lots and lots of perks", as Gordon Gekko so succinctly put it.

Of course pot isn't going to be mentioned by Big Pharma or it's lobbyists. They've wanted to keep the lid on this as long as possible. The genie is now out of the bottle, and there isn't anything they can do about it except keep lawmakers dead set against legalization for as long as fiscally possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies