Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Fifty years ago?? How small is your town? I remember people spending hours showing off their 8mm videos, slides and 100's of photos. I still have a stack of photo albums filled with B/W white photos from back way when I inherited after my parents passed. And fwiw my parents were blue collar.
Yeah, sure, fifty years ago it was common to travel but not so extensively as nowadays, and people went to places like Hawaii, Mexico, etc. They didn't gallivant all over the world using credit cards or their parents money, as many people do nowadays. In fact, lots of people didn't even use credit cards 50 years ago and if they didn't have the money to do something, they didn't do it.

Traveling overseas nowadays is so common that it's not going to impress anyone....unless they are easily impressed.

I certainly am not impressed when someone tells me they visited a certain country. Why would I be? I've been to some of those places myself (shrug) not a big deal.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:45 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
proximity is the answer. Even with that travel ban, more Americans go to Cuba than North Korea.
If by Americans you mean Cuban-Americans who had relatives in Cuba and had to apply to the US State Department for special permission to visit, a cumbersome process with severe restrictions.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
If by Americans you mean Cuban-Americans who had relatives in Cuba and had to apply to the US State Department for special permission to visit, a cumbersome process with severe restrictions.
No, It's easy for a American to fly to Cuba. All one has to do is fly to Mexico and generate a new ticket (different airline) from Mexico to Cuba. The flights are not connected, thus no paper trail. The Cuban visa looks like a credit card, thus there is no stamp in one's passport and again no paper trail.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No, It's easy for a American to fly to Cuba. All one has to do is fly to Mexico and generate a new ticket (different airline) from Mexico to Cuba. The flights are not connected, thus no paper trail. The Cuban visa looks like a credit card, thus there is no stamp in one's passport and again no paper trail.
It's not easy. Someone in Miami would have to pay for an extra ticket from Miami to Mexico which is a long distance, then buy another expensive long distance ticket from Mexico to Cuba, tripling or quadrupling the cost and time spent to get there. A direct flight from Miami to Havana is so much faster and cheaper.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
It's not easy. Someone in Miami would have to pay for an extra ticket from Miami to Mexico which is a long distance, then buy another expensive long distance ticket from Mexico to Cuba, tripling or quadrupling the cost and time spent to get there. A direct flight from Miami to Havana is so much faster and cheaper.
A flight that circumvents US restrictions from your choice of city being Miami to Cancun to Havana is under $700. $400/$270/misc fees. 1h 45m + 1h 19m

The legal way requires one of the following and runs around $300:
1) I am a Cuban National and resident of Cuba
2) Educational activities, including people-to-people exchanges open to everyone
3) Professional research and professional meetings
4) Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions and exhibitions
5) Religious activities
6) Humanitarian projects
7) Journalistic activities
8) Family visits
9) Activities in Cuba by private foundations, or research or educational institutes
10) Support for the Cuban people
11) Exportation, importation, or transmission of information technologies or materials
12) Certain authorized export transactions including agricultural and medical products, and tools, equipment and construction supplies for private use
13) Official business of the US government, foreign governments and certain intergovernmental organizations
14) Specific license

But US airlines are having problems with landing in Cuba as the airport in Cuba is highly outdated.
Why U.S. Airlines Are Dropping Flights to Cuba - NBC News

Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 PM

21,470 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yeah, sure, fifty years ago it was common to travel but not so extensively as nowadays, and people went to places like Hawaii, Mexico, etc. They didn't gallivant all over the world using credit cards or their parents money, as many people do nowadays. In fact, lots of people didn't even use credit cards 50 years ago and if they didn't have the money to do something, they didn't do it.

Traveling overseas nowadays is so common that it's not going to impress anyone....unless they are easily impressed.

I certainly am not impressed when someone tells me they visited a certain country. Why would I be? I've been to some of those places myself (shrug) not a big deal.
You know that people travel to enrich themselves, not to impress everyone else, right?

Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times
poor decisions have consequences

Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
His dumb mistake caused him his life. His poor parents.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You know that people travel to enrich themselves, not to impress everyone else, right?
People have different reasons for traveling. And some definitely do it because they think it will impress others or give them some kind of social status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies