Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:51 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,815,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Several stats tried drug testing welfare people. They found that it was a losing proposition. Very few were using and it cost thousands more than they saved.
Good example of a policy that "feels right" in concept but fails the reality test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,813,523 times
I'll let my hero, Milton Friedman, explain my position on why ALL drugs should be decriminalized if not legalized all across the nation and the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsCC0LZxkY

Old 06-17-2017, 12:03 AM

510 posts, read 368,585 times
Has anyone ever told you not all drugs are the same? If a natural plant could give many longer, healthier, and happier lives, without killing anyone, what would be a rational reason to oppose it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Because when you're on the influence of drugs and hurt someone, damage their property or hurt yourself, who has to pay for that? Because when you're on drugs and can't or are not in the frame of mind to get up early and go to work, who's going to pay for your cost of living expenses? Because after years of drug use and you're health is ruined, who's going to pay for all your medical expenses? If your answer is "everyone else", I'd say you're right.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:10 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,764,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Has anyone ever told you not all drugs are the same? If a natural plant could give many longer, healthier, and happier lives, without killing anyone, what would be a rational reason to oppose it?
Yeah marijuana is not in the same category as cocaine, heroin, and meth. It should be grouped with alcohol or tobacco.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,865,110 times
I think selling narcotics in any form is a bad thing, However with the violence of the Left maybe they should get a prescription to calm down!

To answer your question No. We have enough problems.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,609,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Was that sarcasm?

As a Libertarian the only responsible thing to do is stop this insane war on our citizens. Stop feeding the corporate prison system and start spending the money on helping people with addictions.
Are you crazy? If you legalize recreational drugs you would bankrupt the drug cartels and have to release 1.5 million nonviolent criminals now in jail. It would destroy the underground economy and result in increased tax revenues. Where is the freedom in that? Where is the freedom to hand out samples to middle school kids to get them started on drugs? If you start making drug sales legal, the next thing you know they will be regulating them. It would destroy the free market in recreational drugs.

Pfft. You haven't thought this through. What are you going to do with all those kids if you cut the legs out from under the street gangs? How are they going to get spending money if they can't peddle drugs? Legalizing drugs would destroy a large segment of American culture. Are you ready for that?

You radical left wing Libertarians need to leave well enough alone.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:30 AM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I tried pot when I was in my 20s. It did nothing for me. But not my business if other people smoke it. I wish it would work for me. I have severe arthritis pain at times. No legal meds help at all.
If people enjoy it and/or it helps with an illness, what business is it of anyone else?

Depending on how long ago you were in your 20s, you may find today's pot is a far cry from what you tried then.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:33 AM

68,298 posts, read 54,154,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I think selling narcotics in any form is a bad thing, However with the violence of the Left maybe they should get a prescription to calm down!

Maybe you should learn the right is far from violence free.

Homegrown Terrorism and Why the Threat of Right-Wing Extremism Is Rising in America

Old 06-17-2017, 06:15 AM

15,935 posts, read 12,222,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'll be forward. I'm a white-collar professional with two graduate degrees who uses marijuana from time to time. Heck, I have professional clients who do too. The only thing preventing people from just living their lives are old geezers and evangelicals. Those people seem to associate it with the opiod epidemic and for that I blame Sessions/Trump because they keep equating them when they are unrelated.
It's not just them. Follow the money trail.

Poster above is right, today's pot doesn't have the stems and other junk in it that it did in the past. It's fairly high quality stuff thanks to all the states legalizing it. If more people smoked pot instead of drinking, there would be many less cases of cancers of the stomach and esophagus, GERD, not to mention many less cases of metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and heart attacks, being alcohol has a similar effect on the liver as fructose and sugar do, while marijuana has none of those effects.Fatty liver ultimately leads to metabolic syndrome.

In my opinion the feeling of being drunk is somewhat superior to the feeling of being high though. To each their own.

I'm just tired of the nanny state. I support more freedom with more risk for it's own sake. I'd decriminalize all drug possession (not dealing or manufacturing) and legalize marijuana. I'd take the revenues generated by the sale of marijuana and the legal costs saved from not having to process drug users through the system and open rehab centers for people. Free up the prisons of victimless crimes and save money at the same time. Sound logical, right? Why do we have the highest incarceration rate in the world?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/nn2page1.stm

Last edited by sholomar; 06-17-2017 at 06:25 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,323,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
We have enough problems, that's true. Getting rid of the terribly damaging War on Drugs would rid us of a plethora of problems.

I know you don't buy that. But your way isn't working. Drug usage is at an all-time high. Let's try it. If indeed it creates more problems than it solves, we can always make drugs illegal again. What's wrong with at least trying?

Oh, I know. It's the fact you live in Arizona. There, the media propaganda campaign against the legalization of marijuana has you guys thinking that Colorado has turned into a hell hole since legalization. Arizona prohibitionists believe that the ground will open up and swallow Colorado whole any day now.

FYI: I live in Colorado. We're doing great! Come visit and see for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies