Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are plenty of very good housing associations, as for Council Housing, these flats were Council Flats from 1973, well before the Thatcher Government, as for the stipulation you merntion it only applied to London. Whilst many of the flats and concrete council estates from the period have been demolished or are planned to be demolished, as they were often riddled with problems in the first place.

Cameron even stated it was a priority to demolish these type of estates, as for the cladding there are several similar flats in the area which aren't clad and which locals look on to, whilst the listed brutalist Trellick Tower is only just down the road.

Both political parties have held office over recent decades and neither has sought to make new regulations, indeed politicians usually follow the advice of reports made by those involved in buildng regulations.

Eight failures that left people of Grenfell Tower at mercy of the inferno - Telegraph
How about the Fit for Human Habitation legislation?

Thatcher sold off the council housing so there has been nowhere to move people to in order to demolish the old dangerous buildings - we can certainly lay a good portion of blame squarely at her Government's feet.

What the Government (whoever it ends up being...) needs to do now is condemn all these old buildings and re-home everyone in them, even if it requires requisitioning empty homes because frankly this is a matter of life and death now and far more important than the forgotten property of rich foreigners who will never live in those homes. Now might even be the time to get people squatting more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,165 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
How about the Fit for Human Habitation legislation?

Thatcher sold off the council housing so there has been nowhere to move people to in order to demolish the old dangerous buildings - we can certainly lay a good portion of blame squarely at her Government's feet.

What the Government (whoever it ends up being...) needs to do now is condemn all these old buildings and re-home everyone in them, even if it requires requisitioning empty homes because frankly this is a matter of life and death now and far more important than the forgotten property of rich foreigners who will never live in those homes. Now might even be the time to get people squatting more.
Of course there's places to move people, indeed many of Londons 1960's and 1970's Housing Esates are being demolished such as the Ferrier/Kidbrooke Estate, Hegyate Esate, Aylesbury Esate, Robin Hood Gardens, Broadwater Farm, West Acton etc etc. London is currently undergoing multi-billion pound housing replacement schemes and nearby Notting Hill Housing is helping to provide thousands of affordable houses and aprtments and may well be involved in the future housing of the residence of the Grenfell Tower. Notting Hill housing is one of numerous housing associations providing quality decent housing across London as opposed to out dated concrete tower blocks.

New homes - Aylesbury Now

Notting Hill Housing: Home

A lot of thse buildings, which were built by Labour Governments have been consigned to history, and people are being rehoused. In the meantime the emphasis should be on improving fire safety, removing dangerous cladding straight away and adding sprinkler systems.

The Public Inquiry will also draw conclusions, however such fires are still very rare and with some emergency measures these blocks can be made much safer.

Home - Kidbrooke Regeneration

Welcome to the Aylesbury Regeneration London

Bacton Low Rise Estate | Karakusevic Carson Architects

Elephant Park (former Heygate Estate) | Elephant Park | Southwark

Robin Hood Gardens : Future

Coin Street Community Builders | Building a thriving community on London's South Bank

Tottenham in £1 billion turnaround | London Evening Standard

There has always been housing associations such as the Peabody Trust and what is needed is sensible partnership with the private sector, as for Corbyns promises like most of his promises it is uncosted and unaffordable in a country in massive debt and with massive budget deficits. Whilst in terms of the Government, Corbyn only has 262 seats and would still not have a majority if he managed to form some form of coalition with all the other parties bar the Tories and DUP. So a Corbyn Government is not a realistic prospect.

Peabody Trust - Who We Are

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-16-2017 at 04:27 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 AM

Sensible partnership with the private sector? Maybe I'm just too cynical but I doubt it'll ever happen. Essential things such as housing and healthcare should never be privatised and I hold all Government's since privatisation started responsible for that, Labour included. The Public Inquiry will be a waste of time, there needs to be an inquest instead and quickly and in the meantime any cladding projects should be suspended (there are so many going on).

Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 AM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I am not a bleeding hear liberal, but I absolutely agree with what this man said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9NWK7VOLig
Heartbreaking, especially hearing the resident who spoke of waking neighbors and later thinking it would have been better not to have woken them since they could not get out. Just horrifying. I agree as well with what both men said about how this happened.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:40 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,165 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Sensible partnership with the private sector? Maybe I'm just too cynical but I doubt it'll ever happen. Essential things such as housing and healthcare should never be privatised and I hold all Government's since privatisation started responsible for that, Labour included. The Public Inquiry will be a waste of time, there needs to be an inquest instead and quickly and in the meantime any cladding projects should be suspended (there are so many going on).
I didn't mention healthcare, although I am sure non- Government charitable agencies such as Air Ambulances or Macmillian Nurses/ Marie Curie Nurses or many indeed many Hospises are very highly respected depite not being part of the NHS.

In terms of housing, associations such as the Peabody Trust have provided people with good quality housing in London for the last century and they provide homes and services to over 80,000 Londoners including 29,000 properties, and there are many other very good housing trusts and associations, many oif which are community focused rather than private companies, indeed we would be better off giving the council stock to the Housing Associations rather than irresponsible private companies.

g15 - London's 15 largest housing associations

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-16-2017 at 04:59 AM..

Old 06-16-2017, 04:43 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
Great if you have the money..Being an American, they love you.

However if you aren't white, don't have family settled there, don't have money for a car etcc..It's very difficult to settle in. It's difficult to understand people (accent wise), the weather really sucks, thing are very expensive, people aren't nice.

Sometimes I wish that this p.o.s country got invaded by refugee immigrants so that people could actually get off their bums and bring some worthwhile change. Not everyone is bad but there are a lot of low class people.

Living here for 9 years and want to get out in the next 3 years.
It appears you're not the only one.

I wouldn't advise anyone to visit 'rip-off' Dublin - tourism expert - Independent.ie

Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I didn't mention healthcare, although I am sure non- Government charitable agencies such as Air Ambulances or Macmillian Nurses/ Marie Curie Nurses or many indeed many Hospises are very highly respected depite not being part of the NHS.

In terms of housing, associations such as the Peabody Trust have provided people with good quality housing in London for the last century and they provide homes and services to over 80,000 Londoners including 29,000 properties, and there are many other very good housing trusts and associations, many oif which are community focused rather than private companies, indeed we would be better off giving the council stock to the Housing Associations rather than irresponsible private companies.

g15 - London's 15 largest housing associations

While I'm sure there are some good housing associations, many are terrible and treat tenants terribly, do shoddy renovations that don't fix key issues and are potentially dangerous like Grenfell, and get away with it because residents get ignored.

The existence of some charitable organisations doesn't mean privitisation of health care and doesn't take away from the absolute need for health care to remain in public hands. Similarly, the existence of some decent housing associations doesn't take away from the need to return housing to public hands that are publically accountable.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:03 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
According to Sky News, death toll is up to 30 people. Many more are still missing.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
According to Sky News, death toll is up to 30 people. Many more are still missing.
I expect its a good deal more than that

Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
I expect its a good deal more than that
Just had a Sky news flash on my phone saying 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies