Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:46 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

In the article it was stated that it was recently refurbished with new cladding. And what kind of cladding? Wood? That's what I suspect, as concrete doesn't burn like that.

I used to live on the 38th floor of a high rise, built around 1970, when they were still putting poured concrete walls between the units, which they don't do anymore, so there'd be no chance of a fire spreading from a neighboring unit, or from below or above.

A unit burned one time but the fire was contained to that unit and that unit only. The fire didn't spread.

All high rises should be built like that.

I'm guessing this could be a terrorism act given how fast the fire spread, in a concrete building!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
Looks like London isn't the place to be. Terrorism, broken politics, poor infrastructure...

Well at least it's better than Dublin
What's wrong with Dublin? It's perfectly lovely here. (Visiting from U.S. for a while.)

Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In the article it was stated that it was recently refurbished with new cladding. And what kind of cladding? Wood? That's what I suspect, as concrete doesn't burn like that.

I used to live on the 38th floor of a high rise, built around 1970, when they were still putting poured concrete walls between the units, which they don't do anymore, so there'd be no chance of a fire spreading from a neighboring unit, or from below or above.

A unit burned one time but the fire was contained to that unit and that unit only. The fire didn't spread.

All high rises should be built like that.

I'm guessing this could be a terrorism act given how fast the fire spread, in a concrete building!

One of the reports had a quote saying the fire started from an exploding refrigerator in a 4th floor apartment.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:02 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
[/i][/b]

One of the reports had a quote saying the fire started from an exploding refrigerator in a 4th floor apartment.

And it spread quickly to the entire building with suggestions that recently added exterior cladding may have enabled this.
Local tenants had also posted prior warnings about fire safety in the block.
Sadly I suspect a lot of fatalities.
Firefighters only able to clear people up to 12th storey out of 27.
Desperate stuff.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:15 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
[/i][/b]

I've never heard of a refrigerator exploding! They have gas fed refrigerators in England?

Old 06-14-2017, 02:41 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've never heard of a refrigerator exploding! They have gas fed refrigerators in England?

I doubt it, at least I've never heard of any gas fridges, maybe small camping ones, but not in a residential property.
Sky News reporting 10-15 fatalities so far, but this has not been confirmed by Fire Services, Mayor Sadiq Khan says questions need to be answered, Gee Whiz! Really?
Stand by for the usual B.S., "lessons will be learned."
The cladding recently added is alleged to be 'rain screen cladding', and a curtain wall facade to improve thermal insulation and modernise the exterior.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:39 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
It's the cladding that was recently added to the exterior of the building.

Seems to me the building code for brought over from the United Arab Emirates. I'm posting from my phone and I don't know how to post links but do a Google search "United Arab Emirates building cladding fires" and you can see that this has been an issue in the Middle East for several years.

I also read the building had only one means of egress, just one stairwell, and it was blocked? When did they formulate their building code back in the 12th century this is unbelievable to me?

Also read where the fire sprinkler system was out of commission again we're going back now to the eighth Century on the building codes? Where in the world did London come up with this garbage?

This is what you get when you got garbage building codes and a total lack of any enforcement.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:13 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Horrible. Just horrible. My heart goes out to the injured, the dead, and to their families and close friends.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I also read the building had only one means of egress, just one stairwell, and it was blocked? When did they formulate their building code back in the 12th century this is unbelievable to me?

Also read where the fire sprinkler system was out of commission again we're going back now to the eighth Century on the building codes? Where in the world did London come up with this garbage?

This is what you get when you got garbage building codes and a total lack of any enforcement.
No idea if what you say about egress and the sprinkler system is true, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
A host of the block's residents have been saying on TV news all day that they've constantly reported safety concerns, and they've all been ignored by the powers that be.
Welcome to London, U.K., if not home to the most scofflaws in the world, then certainly up there somewhere.
We all know that ALL vehicles must stop at a red light, unless posted otherwise, but this is blatantly ignored by many cyclists in London, so much so, that there is often talk of allowing cyclists to freely ignore red lights, as it would appear that the police can't be bothered to ticket them.
Another one that used to concern me when I was a licenced London taxi driver, and it still goes on to this day, is the fact that any car driver, if he wishes, will just park outside any popular evening venue or restaurant, and when people emerge, the driver will pluck their sleeve and whisper, "Taxi sir?"
He'll be unlicenced, uninsured to carry paying passengers, and will charge any mug who gets in his car as much as he thinks they will stand for, plus he'll have little or no idea of how to get them to their destination.
Even licenced car service drivers are legally forbidden to do this, they must be phoned, or summoned via an app, if they importune a fare, their insurance becomes null and void.
Meanwhile, cops will blatantly ignore all this, and stroll by talking about last night's TV, while it's obvious to a blind man what's going on.
The feeling among real taxi drivers is that the cops just want anyone to rid their 'patch' of any potential drunks or trouble makers, and don't care if the law is broken in doing it.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Reports say this fire was caused by a faulty fridge blown up.

Here is what I found about refrigerator explosion:

Quote:
A wave of violent refrigerator explosions in Britain reportedly is believed to have been caused by an attempt to make the machines more "green."

The five reported explosions — which destroyed the refrigerators and the kitchens that housed them — appear to coincide with a widespread switch to 'Greenfreeze' technology, the Daily Mail reported.
So much about going green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies