Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 10:36 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times

Advertisements

Released inmate rushed to ER, dies 10 days later

Things like this, are the exact reason why many don't have any respect for law enforcement.

Hopefully, so one sues Douglas County for ignoring a man who was in jail for a few months on a minor offense. His stage four cancer was ignored and he died 10 days after being released from jail.

I know many people will say don't do the crime, if one doesn't want to pay time. But for Douglas County Sheriff Department to just ignore stage-4 cancer patients is beyond belief.

Bizzare, that Omahans like their police chief hiring officers who are profiling the mentally ill when they are in handcuffs while an inmate is ignored by Douglas County sheriff department with stage 4 cancer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.53310ed4643b

Luckily, national newspapers are hot on the case of two Omaha police officers killing a mentally ill man who was already in handcuffs.

I think law enforcement needs to understand why many don't trust them or have any confidence in them at all.

Hopefully, Douglas County and Omaha have massive lawsuits with massive payouts coming and the Douglas County and Omaha police chief have to make big budget reductions because they are so poorly managed.

When you have a rogue out-of-control sheriff in Douglas County who thinks he can completely ignore an inmate with stage-4 cancer there is a reason why people have no respect for law enforcement and don't want more tax dollars to fund their abuse.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 06-13-2017 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
No one knew, including the patient, until now.

“He’d been telling them [in jail] for two months he was sick,” said his cousin. “They just kept telling him he was alright. And then Monday, they said it was his time to get out.”

WOWT wanted to ask Cook about what he said to the jail’s medical staff, but didn’t get the chance.

He died in the hospital, 10 days after his release from jail.

“When he got out,” said his cousin, “he asked them to call the ambulance for him. And they told him he’d be alright.”

Cook's family is under no illusion that an earlier hospital visit would have saved his life.
The two things in bold are why I think people need to park their outrage. There are some extremely aggressive cancers that people die from within a week or two of being diagnosed. This sounds like one of them. I know one of my old neighbors told me she had been feeling "a bit tired and poorly" one Tuesday, went to the doctor Thursday, and was dead by the next Friday.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:39 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Where is the outrage for the crime he committed instead of going to a doctor to be treated!

The man made a choice to do what he did.

Stage 4 is not something that happens overnight and perhaps the person never felt healthy and didn't pay attention to his health or it was a cancer that isn't showing much discomfort until the person reaches a stage that treatment will be difficult or too late.

Why blame someone else for a crime he committed.

In the Netherlands a famous Tv host died last week and her funeral was yesterday. She died from breast cancer at the age of 66 and only three weeks ago she was going with friends on a trip and two weeks ago she was with a famous designer checking out a. Re clothing collection and buying stuff and I saw pictures of her and how great she looked only a few weeks back.
Her parents both are alive and are 97 & 92 and she didn't make it pass 66!

She didn't commit a crime ....and according to others failed to get proper treatment for her cancer that she had before. She missed treatments as she chose to travel for TV programs and ignoring the seriousness of her illness that most friends and family didn't realize was in this stage.
People make choices including ignoring signs for all kind of reasons.

Blaming others for the choices a person made is unfair.

The family of the sick criminal are probably struggling as they didn't take the family member to a doctor as cancer doesn't start at stage 4!

Where was the family prior to this crime?

Last edited by bentlebee; 06-14-2017 at 02:48 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 04:03 AM

33,298 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Released inmate rushed to ER, dies 10 days later

Things like this, are the exact reason why many don't have any respect for law enforcement.

Hopefully, so one sues Douglas County for ignoring a man who was in jail for a few months on a minor offense. His stage four cancer was ignored and he died 10 days after being released from jail.

I know many people will say don't do the crime, if one doesn't want to pay time. But for Douglas County Sheriff Department to just ignore stage-4 cancer patients is beyond belief.

Bizzare, that Omahans like their police chief hiring officers who are profiling the mentally ill when they are in handcuffs while an inmate is ignored by Douglas County sheriff department with stage 4 cancer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.53310ed4643b

Luckily, national newspapers are hot on the case of two Omaha police officers killing a mentally ill man who was already in handcuffs.

I think law enforcement needs to understand why many don't trust them or have any confidence in them at all.

Hopefully, Douglas County and Omaha have massive lawsuits with massive payouts coming and the Douglas County and Omaha police chief have to make big budget reductions because they are so poorly managed.

When you have a rogue out-of-control sheriff in Douglas County who thinks he can completely ignore an inmate with stage-4 cancer there is a reason why people have no respect for law enforcement and don't want more tax dollars to fund their abuse.

Re the bolded.....I take it you don't pay much in taxes.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:17 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
He was terminal.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:05 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The two things in bold are why I think people need to park their outrage. There are some extremely aggressive cancers that people die from within a week or two of being diagnosed. This sounds like one of them. I know one of my old neighbors told me she had been feeling "a bit tired and poorly" one Tuesday, went to the doctor Thursday, and was dead by the next Friday.
I disagree, only because end stage lung cancer, like most cancers, is painful and visibly debilitating. If he'd been complaining of illness for two months with no response from the jailers, they were not doing their job. By the time he was released, he couldn't walk; shouldn't they have noticed? And at least called an ambulance as he requested?

And for those who say, "do the crime, do the time", that's fine, but in this country, we don't torture people. We take their freedom for a proscribed period of time. They are still entitled to medical care.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Re the bolded.....I take it you don't pay much in taxes.
I don't live in Douglas County and if Douglas County voters like a jail that jails people on tiny violations and ignores stage 4 cancer while they have tremendous pain for later stage cancer then lawsuits are the only way to correct this behavior from the Douglas County corrections staff.

I can only imagine the power-trip the Douglas County (Omaha) corrections officers and Douglas County(Omaha) jail nursing staff had and this man was an incredible suffering from his stage 4 cancer.

Prosecutors: Milwaukee jail withheld water as punishment | Fox News

In Milwaukee, the corrections officers pride themselves and pat them on the back for withholding water as punishment

Interesting, how when government officials are behind closed doors how they behave and people want to give them more tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies