Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 AM

27,131 posts, read 13,424,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Google "United Arab Emirates building cladding fires" and it's easy to see that the city of London has adopted the Middle Eastern Building and Fire Safety Codes.

I think if you look at the pictures of the other buildings suffering cladding fires and it's pretty obvious where This Disaster came from.

I also read with the building had only one stairwell that was blocked, which is unbelievable to me, and the fire sprinkler system was out of service.
You could well be right, the building has indeed just had a refurbishment including new cladding.

Grenfell Tower had just had an £8.7m refurbishment – but was new cladding to blame? | Metro News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wow.

According to Sky News, there were emergency signs in the building that told residents to stay in their apartment in case of fire, unless it affected their own unit.

This reminds me of Our Lady of the Angels fire in 1958 in Chicago, when the nuns told the students to remain seated and pray. 92 children and three nuns died.

Some companies were giving the same instruction during 9/11. The ones who disobeyed made it out okay.

My heart goes out to the people of London and all those affected.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:20 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Grenfell Tower was built in 1974.
Makes me grateful for the current code which states at least 2 means of egress. Didnt know buildings like that could burn. Most tall buildings are steel and concrete.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Not political or controversial

Old 06-14-2017, 07:26 AM

24,457 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Default Big Fire in London high rise... terrorists?

Nothing has been determined but the fire is suspicious in how it spread so fast.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y-latimer-road

I can't help but think, what if terrorists were involved. It would not be that hard for a small group of terrorists to pick a floor in an apartment building in the wee hours of the morning, spread gasoline in the hallways then lock the doors to the stairs so people couldn't escape. The terrorists would then take the elevator down and disable that.

We really are at their mercy.

It is amazing that there are only 6 dead and 20 injured in this blaze.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
They are saying it might have been a faulty fridge.

These kinds of tower blocks are usually chock full of 3rd world immigrants (many times, significantly Muslim)... so I'm not sure what type of message it would send in Britain.

(Of course, ISIS routinely targets Muslims in their own countries, so who knows anymore)

Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 AM

27,131 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Makes me grateful for the current code which states at least 2 means of egress. Didnt know buildings like that could burn. Most tall buildings are steel and concrete.
Most of the 1960's and indeed 1970's social housing tower blocks have now been demolished, sadly these tower blocks were run by Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTO) on behalf of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Social Housing is the eqivalent of what Americans call 'the projects', and it seems despite allegedly numerous warnings and incidents no action was taken.

There will of course be an inquiry, and the KTCO and the Council will face numerous questions, however it is too little too late.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Nothing has been determined but the fire is suspicious in how it spread so fast.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y-latimer-road

I can't help but think, what if terrorists were involved. It would not be that hard for a small group of terrorists to pick a floor in an apartment building in the wee hours of the morning, spread gasoline in the hallways then lock the doors to the stairs so people couldn't escape. The terrorists would then take the elevator down and disable that.

We really are at their mercy.

It is amazing that there are only 6 dead and 20 injured in this blaze.
I think the deal is they are anticipating finding more that have died. That's all that is confirmed right now. They will have issues accessing the building because it is unstable. It will take time to confirm exact numbers

AND -- so far it is being said that this building was in poor repair. No terrorist link.

Let's see how the story unfolds.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,243,816 times
Its political in the sense that local government were supposed to take care of the building which was a death trap and residents had warned the local council that this kind of event was bound to happen because the building was in such poor condition. They renovated the building recently but only cosmetically (e.g. the cladding) and nothing was done about the fire alarm system, lack of fire escapes etc. They just wanted to make it look nicer on the outside so the people in the expensive private buildings nearby didn't have to look at a crumbling council property.

Last I heard its believed that the fire was caused by a faulty fridge on the 4th floor. It most likely was Muslims being awake to break fast (as it's Ramadan) that meant the alarm was raised so that some people could escape but many in the higher floors didn't, most likely due to the advice to stay put.

Horrible tragedy.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:36 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,243,816 times
Its not suspicious that the fire spread so quickly it was expected because the building was in such poor shape. No reason to suspect terrorism. No reports of people being locked in either, they were sadly advised to stay in their flats and many tried to leave but the smoke was too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies