Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 08:18 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? Then why are they constantly whining about the travel ban and building the wall?

Southern Border Terrorist Threat: It
Surely you can answer your own question or at least not suggest the absurd simply because you don't know how to answer your own question! The complaints or issues related to the travel ban and/or building the wall do NOT equal liberals who don't want protection from terrorism! Can you be serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny how liberals had absolutely no problem with a comment like that which insulted many Americans yet they get outraged over anything Trump tweets out. I remember Obama also insulting many Americans when he said they didn't build their business. Regardless of his intent, it was a foolish thing to say.

Sad that liberals can't get past the delusion that Hilary and Obama actually care about America and not their own personal gain.
"Perspective is everything."

And needless to say, you can tell from every comment/opinion from what perspective they come, left or right, liberal or conservative, regardless the simple fact that all these compliments or criticisms can be lodged in both directions, all directions. Not sure what can be done about getting to the truth of these matters regardless the different perspectives, biases and predispositions, but I suspect that simply repeating the same old noise doesn't accomplish much...

Might be, maybe, rather than going on about what Obama said about people who build a business (as I did), maybe we focus instead on why the issue exists in the first place; to what extent should a person be willing to "give back" after successfully building a business? There's the issue and what deserves America's attention, not your best bumper sticker shot against the politician you love most to criticise.

Personally, I can't count how many times I wish politicians would/could make themselves better understood, especially with those in the opposite party, but the difference with Obama compared to Trump is significant in this regard. Agree with Obama or not, he wasn't tweeting about the sort of nonsense Trump tweets about! I have just got to believe that even Trump supporters can admit this, even if not publicly.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Better do some research son on the history of the KKK and see that CONFEDERATES veterans were a big part of the founding group, lead by a CONFEDERATE general, you know, the ones down South who love to tell us how they demand to keep flying their stars and bars flag because of it's "history" and it's all about HISTORY, now we learn what that "history" was exactly and why that flag is no longer welcome in modern society:

Founding of the Ku Klux Klan

A group including many former Confederate veterans founded the first branch of the Ku Klux Klan as a social club in Pulaski, TN, in 1866.

Leading Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest was chosen as the first leader, or “grand wizard,” of the Klan; he presided over a hierarchy of grand dragons, grand titans and grand cyclopses.

The organization of the Ku Klux Klan coincided with the beginning of the second phase of post-Civil War reconstruction put into place by the more radical members of the Republican Party in Congress.

After a period of decline, white Protestant nativist groups revived the Klan in the early 20th century, burning crosses and staging rallies, parades and marches denouncing immigrants, Catholics, Jews, blacks and organized labor. (Doesn't sound like any Democrat I ever heard of!)
The civil rights movement of the 1960s also saw a surge of Ku Klux Klan activity, including bombings of black schools and churches and violence against black and white activists in the South.

1. I voted Republican because I believe that oil companies can never make enough profits, even when the rest of the economy is taking hits left and right.

2. I voted Republican because rather than give my money to the government— with its checks, balances, and elections—I prefer to give my money to corporations, whose primary goal is to make money and whose leaders are accountable only to themselves.

3. I voted Republican because Freedom of Speech is fine as long as it’s promulgated by conservative Christians.

4. I voted Republican because it’s perfectly acceptable for any yokel to purchase a repeating rifle at a gun show and wield it in parks, malls, and schools.

5. I voted Republican because it’s more important for corporations to have the right to send pollutants into the air and water than to heed the warnings of virtually every reputable climatologist in the world about environmental threats.

6. I voted Republican because government should stay out of our lives except when it comes to telling women what to do with their own bodies or telling gay people whom they can and cannot marry or telling anyone whether and how to pray.

7. I voted Republican because children of illegal immigrants, who had no say in their parents’ decision to come to the U.S., should be deprived of health care, education, and Social Security benefits, no matter how needy they are or how much they’ve contributed to their country.

8. I voted Republican because businesses shouldn’t feel compelled to give anything back to the government that gave them all kinds of tax breaks and subsidies.

9. I voted Republican because I believe conservative judges need to rewrite the Constitution every few days so that, for example, corporations can gain status as individuals.

10. I voted Republican because I think it’s better to rely on resources that contribute to war, dictatorships, and environmental catastrophe than to expend the capital to develop safer sources of energy.

11. I voted Republican because while we live in the greatest, most wonderful country in the world, I long to return to the Bush years when we failed to prevent an attack by terrorists, spent billions of dollars and thousands of lives on unprovoked wars, suppressed scientific studies that contradicted administration policy, routinely tortured prisoners, lied to Congress and the people, fostered an oppressive surveillance network on our own citizens, presided over a widening gulf between the rich and the poor, oversaw our economy making the transition from surplus to huge deficit, mismanaged immigration policy, appointed reactionary judges to the U.S. Supreme Court, condoned all sorts of administrative malfeasance, gave Federal money to churches and religious organizations, neglected areas of the country hit by natural disasters, and encouraged political discourse that sought the lowest possible level of an intellectual exchange of ideas.

12. I voted Republican because I favor greed, religious fervor, and simplistic thinking over kindness, rationality, and critical analysis.
Well put and good point about the history of the KKK, but of course we all know that tie between the KKK and Democrats is a favorite ploy for some conservatives to suggest Democrats/liberals, not Republicans/conservatives, are more the problem when it comes to racism. Regardless the historical facts and context you attempt to explain.

Did you write all these reasons for voting Republican yourself or did you get this from somewhere else? Worth the read in any case if you ask me, because it's more about the issues deserving of our focus, not what nonsense we might otherwise go on about...

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-16-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Well, I provided some info of value. It's either a comprehension thing or a rationale thing preventing cognition. Whatever........
Especially when it comes to important government officials, I respect the need if not requirement to investigate any possible wrong doing, and of course we have all heard all manner of what to believe when it comes to Scalia's death. You didn't need to be following the local news or any of that to become aware of what soon became something of a conspiracy in the minds of many. You were maybe most correct when you stated early on "we will never know."

We will no doubt never know, but again, that doesn't mean we should never question...

I think you too quickly dismiss the hooker theory, because I don't think having a hooker is something anyone knows as a rule, no matter where, except for the John and the hooker. I don't buy the theory that it would be hard for Scalia to keep that a personal matter if that was his intent, but I also don't think the hooker theory is a good one for other reasons.

There is medical record that Scalia was not healthy, in poor health enough to make his death more likely due to poor health, maybe aggravated by drinking too much that night. Again we will probably never know, but the no autopsy point you make is a good one.

Still, there are ways to explain how that might occur as well. Just about every possibility has varying levels of plausibility, but when ALL is considered that might reasonably explain Scalia's death, including perhaps a mistake or misjudgment at the local level in terms of proper protocol, what seems to be your conspiracy theory is not as plausible.

Partly, because all it would take in terms of pulling off some "foul play" the likes you are suggesting would require even more in the way of unlikely conspirators and dealings far harder to pull off than a discrete encounter between a john and a hooker for example.

But hey, again, it's all a matter of our perspective that determines on what we decide to focus upon...

The question of Scalia's death would never get my attention anymore unless brought to my attention by someone else, like you did in this thread.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm sorry but it's time to get over this. And families do have a say with autopsies.
I'm sorry but, it's time to become informed of facts and reality. When you decide to do that, a reasonable conversation can occur. Til then....one cannot.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:01 AM

LearnMe -- it really is an uncomplicated situation. See my Post #126.

Zero reason NOT to do an autopsy on anyone who died alone and was just seen hours earlier at dinner as fine. ADD that he was a Supreme (VERY high stakes position). Texas law mandates an autopsy in those circumstances but it wasn't done.

And within a couple of hours the entire big media narrative became identical (they weren't even there, it was remote Texas!) and anything else put forth was shut down. Yet NO ONE can tell you HOW he died. It's theater of the absurd. Then they get the big media to start inferring the lack of autopsy was a "family decision". B*ll sh*t, it's mandated Texas law in those circumstances.

If foul play occurred, it would not be even remotely difficult to pull off anywhere in the world for those trained to do such things. If you'd read the early, local reports and then watched the whole thing get wrapped up so simply a few hours later, with very few concrete answers about what happened, I feel that you'd remain skeptical also about that very murky situation.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Fourteen pages into this thread and I still see no sign of Trump winning anything.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Democrats need an autopsy. What is stopping it from happening is they are so angered they don't know they are the "Talking Dead". Somehow they believe Russia has taken over the morgue and are delighted in it like Dr. Frankenstein.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe;48854995

[B
Might be, maybe, rather than going on about what Obama said about people who build a business (as I did), maybe we focus instead on why the issue exists in the first place;[/b] to what extent should a person be willing to "give back" after successfully building a business? There's the issue and what deserves America's attention, not your best bumper sticker shot against the politician you love most to criticise.

That should be their personal decision with no government dictates of any kind. Taxes should simply be used for paying for the limited functions government should be involved in (Nat'l defense, local LEOs, roads, K-12, care for solely fully disabled as in wheelchair bound and the like). After that, any funding should be via charities, and if business wishes to contribute, fine. If not, fine.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Funny you of all posters say that.The republicans are jumping ship,more and more they are finding it harder to defend such incompetence as trump as his crackerjack crew of bumbling morons,like his kids or his son-inlaw just to start.trump has done nothing but bring same down on this country ,shame and embarrassment to this country and to the office he was elected to with the help of a "foreign goverment".Yes people are turning their back on him.Yes there is the devout trump cult here and out there but it is getting smaller with every outlandish and ignorant thing trump does.Credibility, is that like "alternative facts" credibility or is that the real stuff that real Americans deserve and trump can't provide,that credibility?
Turn off the TV, G1. Much propaganda resides there. You're letting it own your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies