Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 01:19 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think my positions are very clear. Who authorized Syria?
Ok, so by "Obama violence" you refer to foreign policy decisions. That is what I wanted to clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You're so far off it's not even funny. Find me someone cheering on this sick person. Good luck.
Don't pay much attention to Twitter, do you? Even a WaPo writer couldn’t contain his glee over the shootings.

It was disgusting.

I appreciate it might be tough for some of you supposedly "tolerant" libs to see one of your own go out and try to kill Republicans practicing for a charity baseball game. But too many of you made excuses for the shootings by blaming Trump. Too many of you celebrated on Twitter. And too many of you are criticizing the right for being justifiably pizzed off when some jackass who belongs to the Terminate the Republican Party group on Facebook really did try to terminate some Republicans.

The NYT even had the gall to bring up the debunked Palin/Gifford lie to give libs talking points yesterday. https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...cover-n2341427

As Kevin Williamson wrote in the National Review - It did not take very long to get from “Punch a Nazi!” to “assassinate a congressman

Alexandria Shooting & Political Violence

Nice going libs.

And just a quick edit. It's interesting how quickly the MSM is trying to gloss over and make this story disappear down the memory hole. But you libs better believe Kathy Griffin holding Trump's head and James Hodgkinson holding his Terminate the Republican Party sign will be all over ads for the 2018 election.

Last edited by Dockside; 06-15-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
I will give credit where it is due. Trump handled the situation after the attack yesterday very well acting very presidential. I have no issue with what he said or did on the matter. His refrain from rushing to a quick judgement before all the facts were known, his general calmness, and his call for unity were what was needed. His son and special advisor (KC) should have followed his lead. I just wish Trump had acted in a similar fashion after the London incident instead of engaging in an immature twitter war with the city's mayor in an attempt to politically exploit the situation.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I will give credit where it is due. Trump handled the situation after the attack yesterday very well acting very presidential. I have no issue with what he said or did on the matter. His refrain from rushing to a quick judgement before all the facts were known, his general calmness, and his call for unity were what was needed. His son and special advisor (KC) should have followed his lead. I just wish Trump had acted in a similar fashion after the London incident instead of engaging in an immature twitter war with the city's mayor in an attempt to politically exploit the situation.
I think more people are reigning in Trump in fears of impeachment. I think how he handled London sadly is his true nature. This was the corporate "P.C." answer.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ok, so by "Obama violence" you refer to foreign policy decisions. That is what I wanted to clarify.
Does that make it better? Violence is violence. Actually, actions are more than just words.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If it was a planned assassination of Republican congressmen
It was.

Quote:
, those 24 individuals crouching in the dugout would be dead right now.
That would be true... except for the two Park Police officers who were assigned to cover Scalise due to his high rank in the House. The were in the parking lot, either in or near their car.

When they heard the shots, they came running to the field, but couldn't immediately get through the fence, there was only one entrance gate, some distance from where they were. Not the greatest mission prep in the world, but who is on High Alert during an early-morning practice for a charity baseball game? Minor hand slap to them for that.

So they pulled their guns and fired through the spaces in the wire (If the reports I saw were accurate). This distracted the shooter and pulled his attention away from the Republican players, thus saving many of their lives. I don't know if these Park Police injured the shooter. But he started shooting at them while they were shooting at him, and he injured both police officers. The officers displayed great courage and coolness under fire, and no doubt their actions saved many lives. They deserve a medal, plus more, for that.

Soon other Park Police and Alexandria Police showed up, fired on the shooter, gravely wounding him and ending the incident. He later died in the hospital. No one else has died, a stat the will hopefully remain true.

It was a situation where the bad guy got the first shots in, as usual, nobody was expecting an incident. He hit Scalise (did he hit anyone else on the field? The all hit the ground pretty fast, and/or dashed for cover). Scalise's guard in the parking lot started shooting at him, he shot back and injured both of them. The more police showed up and stopped him.

As usual, a bad guy with a gun was stopped by good guys with guns. Aside from the first victim (Scalise) he shot by complete surprise, I believe no others were injured except the police who arrived and shot back (is this true? How many victims were injured, and who were they?). The police did a great job of their fundamental duty to keep the public safe - they drew the shooter off the civilians and onto themselves, where he shot several of them but no more(?) of the civilians. My praise and respect for those cops is boundless.

The only armed good guys on the field were Scalise's two guards in the parking lot. If they hadn't been present, it could well have been a massacre. If there was a law saying no guns allowed on/near the field, the all of the Republican Congressmen were literally sitting ducks, all lined up where the gunman could have picked them off one at a time, with nothing between him and the (unarmed) victims. The killing could have gone on and on. And the shooter brought two guns an a LOT of ammo.

Any law forbidding guns at the field, was ignored by the gunman, of course. Only the law-abiding were disarmed, and thus ripe for the picking.

If there were no laws forbidding ordinary people from carrying guns had been in effect, probably most of the Congressmen probably wouldn't have bothered carrying anyway. But a few might have. And if the two Park Police guards hadn't been there, but one or two of the Congressmen had been carrying, would the ensuing "massacre" lasted as long as an unresisted one could have?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:42 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think more people are reigning in Trump in fears of impeachment. I think how he handled London sadly is his true nature. This was the corporate "P.C." answer.
Same with not Tweeting during Comey's testimony. I think that the only way for Trump to survive is if he keeps it reigned in. However, that's a problem for him for the following reasons A) He's proven time and time again that while he can do it for a period, he can't sustain it. B) His base likes the angry, say what's on his mind character- that's part of why they voted for him. He risks alienating his base by becoming more P.C. But that doesn't matter- I don't think he can do it anyway.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:46 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Got any links to all of Obama's hateful rehtoric?
I was going to ask the same question. I'd truly like to see what he/she views as "hateful rhetoric" out of Obama's mouth that he/she says is worst than the hateful rhetoric pouring out of Trumps.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
FWIW, an assassination targets a specific person(s). All the info is not in, but it SEEMS that this was more of a mass shooting. "Kill as many as he could". I don't think it really matters what we label it, it's a horrible thing, but since you asked, I do think there is a difference.

Another interesting fact about this one:

Q: Do you know how we know the shooter was a white guy?

A: Because the race of the shooter was not mentioned in the reports. (So if you want to look at biased media, you might look at the racially biased reporting of all sides, left and right.)
why do you lie?

virtually every story featured that fact very prominently

The gunman, a white man with dark hair and wearing a blue shirt, could be seen standing with a rifle as he began shooting, Flake said.
House majority whip, several others, shot at congressional baseball practice - LA Times

Brooks caught a brief glimpse of the shooter and described him as a white, middle-aged male. He said he described him as being 'a little on the chubby side' but not obese.
Steve Scalise shot at baseball practice in Alexandria | Daily Mail Online

In a dramatic blow-by-blow account, Brooks told CNN the gunman was armed with a rifle and appeared to be a white middle-aged male, "a little bit on the chubby side".
Top US politician Steve Scalise, aides shot in Virginia | USA News | Al Jazeera

Brooks said the shooter appeared to be a white male but added that "I saw him for a second or two." He said the shooter was behind the third base dugout and didn't say anything.
Republican House Whip Steve Scalise, congressional staffer shot in Virginia | WGN-TV

and within three hours, his face was on every news story so it was kind of pointless to mention.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:52 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You're so far off it's not even funny. Find me someone cheering on this sick person. Good luck.
here's a whole bunch of someones.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/06/...ms-dead-502554

Last edited by uggabugga; 06-15-2017 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies