Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 08:53 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,923,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Of course he got to that "worked up state on his own".

He slipped over the edge from rationality to irrationality, and the irrationality took over.
There are probably thousands just like him out there, however. Being ginned up and radicalized by the over-the-top rhetoric emanating from Democrat Party leaders and the media, both "mainstream" and social.

And, predictably, the media and the Democrats haven't changed a thing. So, we can look forward to more political violence from the left against the right by people like Hodgkinson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,299,828 times
Here's a good opinion piece in the Washington Examiner written by Eddie Scary -

"Up until a recreational congressional Republican baseball practice was shot up last week, the news media had been anticipating violence from one side. It just happened to be the wrong side.

Now after more than a year of suspiciously eyeing only President Trump supporters and Republicans for any sudden movements, the media are calling for "civility" from "both sides."

Otherwise the default position is to again blame Trump."

James Hodgkinson was a Democrat, but the media want 'both sides' to claim him

Absolutely. I love how quickly the MSM started to bury this story once they realized the shooter was a left-winger Sander's supporting hater. And I couldn’t believe how quickly all the libs here on CD and in the media refused to look at their own rhetoric and behavior and blamed Trump in one breath while extolling the virtues of civility in the other.

Not me. The hell with civility. I'm still pointing fingers at all you libs and Democrats. All of you. All you haters are as much to blame for Scalise as James Hodgkinson.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 AM

33,507 posts, read 18,059,857 times
Some sicko pundits are now blaming the Congressman for getting shot. How low can the dems go?

Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,299,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Some sicko pundits are now blaming the Congressman for getting shot. How low can the dems go?
They refuse to examine their own part in this.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM

The hateful bile emanating from the left has been going on for decades really. I've got to hand it to them, though. They've really ratcheted up the hate since Trump cleaned their clocks in November.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,428,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
They refuse to examine their own part in this.
No one deserves to be shot.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
There are probably thousands just like him out there, however. Being ginned up and radicalized by the over-the-top rhetoric emanating from Democrat Party leaders and the media, both "mainstream" and social.

And, predictably, the media and the Democrats haven't changed a thing. So, we can look forward to more political violence from the left against the right by people like Hodgkinson.
You get over-the-top rhetoric from the right or left. This forum is a perfect example.

Anyone denying that it comes from both sides is slipping over the boundary of rationality.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:27 AM

52,456 posts, read 34,191,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Here's a good opinion piece in the Washington Examiner written by Eddie Scary -

"Up until a recreational congressional Republican baseball practice was shot up last week, the news media had been anticipating violence from one side. It just happened to be the wrong side.

Now after more than a year of suspiciously eyeing only President Trump supporters and Republicans for any sudden movements, the media are calling for "civility" from "both sides."

Otherwise the default position is to again blame Trump."

James Hodgkinson was a Democrat, but the media want 'both sides' to claim him

Absolutely. I love how quickly the MSM started to bury this story once they realized the shooter was a left-winger Sander's supporting hater. And I couldn’t believe how quickly all the libs here on CD and in the media refused to look at their own rhetoric and behavior and blamed Trump in one breath while extolling the virtues of civility in the other.

Not me. The hell with civility. I'm still pointing fingers at all you libs and Democrats. All of you. All you haters are as much to blame for Scalise as James Hodgkinson.
yup. good article, and good post.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You get over-the-top rhetoric from the right or left. This forum is a perfect example.

Anyone denying that it comes from both sides is slipping over the boundary of rationality.
I didn't deny it happens on both sides. That's you injecting the "both sides" equivalency.

My belief is that while both sides do in fact engage in over the top rhetoric, the amount coming from the left is far greater in content and volume than that coming from the right. Especially since Trump won in November. I'd say about 85% of the over-the-top rhetoric has come from the left since Trump's election. That wasn't always the case, but I think anyone who claims it is equally distributed has been living in a bubble for the past 6 months.

There is no doubt where most of the hate is coming from since November.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,792,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I didn't deny it happens on both sides. That's you injecting the "both sides" equivalency.

My belief is that while both sides do in fact engage in over the top rhetoric, the amount coming from the left is far greater in content and volume than that coming from the right. Especially since Trump won in November. I'd say about 85% of the over-the-top rhetoric has come from the left since Trump's election. That wasn't always the case, but I think anyone who claims it is equally distributed has been living in a bubble for the past 6 months.

There is no doubt where most of the hate is coming from since November.
The problem is that you dismiss a lot of the over-the-top rhetoric coming from the right, and focus on that coming from the left. The amount coming from the left is not "far greater in content and volume". It's that your perspective is biased.

Certainly I'd agree that there is a lot of anti-Trump rhetoric now, just as there was a lot of anti-Obama rhetoric during the previous administration. But the right's nationalistic rhetoric isn't suddenly all daisies and roses, the right's rhetoric against immigrants isn't suddenly all sweetness and light. Those outbursts we've caught in shopping malls and Wal-Marts are just as nasty as Kathy Griffin's beheaded Trump. You just are inclined to dismiss some of these incidents and focus on others. Your narrative is that the right's invective is isolated and doesn't speak to the right's real opinions, while the incidents on the left describe the left as a whole. That's inconsistent and irrational.

The problem is that the toxicity that's been created by the polarization between left and right is causing people on both political EXTREMES to feel emboldened. And the emboldened types are getting validated on the internet for their extreme positions by other nuts. And when one slips from rationality to irrationality, a few are prone to violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies