Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 AM

37,950 posts, read 22,021,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Elsewhere in Current Events there is a thread about Michele Carter, a teenage girl who has been found guilty of Manslaughter for her role in urging, via texting, a teenage boy to commit suicide.

The same rule of law should be used to convict Bernie Sanders, Rachel Maddow, and the rest. They must acknowledge their responsibility in this tragedy.
The most they should have found her guilty of, was incitement to violence.

I understand your passion though, the dems, especially those in the public eye, ot elected Democrat leadership, don't seem to comprehend how their violent rhetoric itself, is an incitement to violence.

Pelosi was asked Thursday about "the possibility that this incident could be used against Democrats or the Democratic Party politically" because some conservatives had suggested "vitriolic rhetoric from the left being in some way to blame."
Here's how she responded:

PELOSI: "I think that the comments made by my Republican colleagues are outrageous, beneath the dignity of the job that they hold, beneath the dignity of the respect that we would like Congress to command. How dare they say such thing? How dare they? Well I won't even go into the whole thing."

So, who gives a crap, the dems will keep fanning the flames of hate, and refuse to take any accountability.

Last edited by Wapasha; 06-20-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I actually did say when Giffords was shot that it was by a nutjob. I also didn't dismiss Palin's gunsight target campaign rhetoric. Do I have bias? Absolutely. The problem is that you are so entrenched in your narrative that you don't perceive your own bias. That's where it becomes less than rational. You have a bias. I have a bias. This country is split fairly evenly between two political agendas. And that's okay. It's when we lose the ability to see the other's perspective, when we fail to appreciate that there are valid arguments on both sides, when we can't step back and examine our own positions objectively, when these things happen, we veer toward extremism. Extremists lose their objectivity, it's part of what makes them irrational. And when they lose objectivity they increasingly see the other side as enemies, they argue that their opponents aren't able to think, they make sweeping generalizations, and see every action, every argument against them as acts of aggression. Which in turn makes their own acts of aggression, even violence, seem to be a reasonable response.

Violence is never a reasonable response.
While I do agree that there is rhetoric coming from both sides there is a couple of things that cannot be denied. With the exception of ONE cable channel (FOX News), all TV is heavily biased in favor of the left/far left or liberals AND is solidly and violently against our current president.

While talk radio is pretty much owned by the right or conservatives it's audience pales in comparison to television that beams into people's lives 24/7.

The majority of newsprint is heavily in favor of the left/far left and violently against the current president.

Do you disagree and if you do please point out where and why I'm wrong...

Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,782,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While I do agree that there is rhetoric coming from both sides there is a couple of things that cannot be denied. With the exception of ONE cable channel (FOX News), all TV is heavily biased in favor of the left/far left or liberals AND is solidly and violently against our current president.

While talk radio is pretty much owned by the right or conservatives it's audience pales in comparison to television that beams into people's lives 24/7.

The majority of newsprint is heavily in favor of the left/far left and violently against the current president.

Mainstream media may be opposed to our current President, but "violently" opposed??? I don't see violence being proffered as a solution to our political woes any more on the left than it is on the right. For some reason, I see the right bringing up the second amendment as a problem-solving strategy much more than the left. On this forum, it is right-wing posters who seem to think a Civil War is inevitable and a good thing.
Certainly some of these protesters have turned violent at leftist demonstrations, and any and all violence should be prosecuted and discouraged. It's not like right-wing protesters are never violent.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM

29,391 posts, read 9,580,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
One example X 35 years of similar experiences. Indian engineers are just like all the rest, good and not so good.

Big whoop that there are 175,000 Indians living in the Silicon Valley, which does encompass SF and Oakland as well. That includes spouses and kids of Indian employees. There are 1.2 BILLION people living in India. That's 0.14% of the population of India. Not terribly representative.

About 26% of Indians in India are illiterate.
"Literacy in India is a key for socio-economic progress,[2] and the Indian literacy rate has grown to 74.04% (2011 figure) from 12% at the end of British rule in 1947. Although this was a greater than sixfold improvement the level is below the world average literacy rate of 84%,[5] and of all nations, India currently has the largest illiterate population.

There is a wide gender disparity in the literacy rate in India: effective literacy rates (age 7 and above) in 2011 were 82.14% for men and 65.46% for women."

Tell me about this role model country again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silico...Municipalities
https://www.google.com/search?q=popu...utf-8&oe=utf-8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_India
We/you have gone from a focus on Indians who come to the United States to work in the tech industry to all Indians in all of India. No need to provide this information about India to me, but it seemed you were not all too well aware why so many Indians find employment in Silicon valley, as compared to other people from other countries for example. I didn't comment anything about a "role model country" either. Sheesh...

Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,813,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So, who gives a crap, the dems will keep fanning the flames of hate, and refuse to take any accountability.
You're right, of course. That doesn't mean that we should not hold them accountable. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and others who spew hatred should be indicted. They should then be given a fair trial, followed by a first class execution.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-possible.html

Old 06-20-2017, 09:03 AM

51,604 posts, read 25,617,156 times
Quote:
Elsewhere in Current Events there is a thread about Michele Carter, a teenage girl who has been found guilty of Manslaughter for her role in urging, via texting, a teenage boy to commit suicide.

The same rule of law should be used to convict Bernie Sanders, Rachel Maddow, and the rest. They must acknowledge their responsibility in this tragedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Absolutely not! The same precedent could then be used against conservatives when -- not if -- the Lefties return to power. And their obsession with the contradictory non-logic called Political Correctness demonstrates that they can't be expected to show restraint.
Ohmygawd. Can you just imagine?

Isn't Trump being sued right now for attempting to incite "give 'em hell" violence at his rallies and 2nd Amendment solutions?

Then there's Palin's talk of reloading, and her maps with crosshairs over districts.

Alex Jones, and Rush Limbaugh would so so screwed.

The idea that Bernie Sanders and Rachel Maddow would get the worst of this is just ludicrous.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:04 AM

51,604 posts, read 25,617,156 times
Quote:
You're right, of course. That doesn't mean that we should not hold them accountable. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and others who spew hatred should be indicted. They should then be given a fair trial, followed by a first class execution.
Oh the irony of reading a post spewing hatred and calling for indictments of same.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
My word. Spewing hatred...? How about we bring it down a nacho or two?

Hate speech is speech which attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or gender. In the law of some countries, hate speech is described as speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it incites violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected group, or individual on the basis of their membership to the group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected group, or individual on the basis of their membership to the group.

All these comments about who is doing more or less than others is decidedly without much in the way of measure or proof either way, mostly just perspective and opinion as also commented before, that and what "noise" you allow to pass your ears and enter your head.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones..."

Far as I'm concerned, what people may say or yell or spew most loudly or vocally is not the real issue anyway. The problem is just as much what prejudice, intolerance and hate that people BELIEVE AND PERPETUATE whether yelling with a banner or in silence. Take racism, for example. Is the problem more the people demonstrating on behalf of the BLM movement or the many who are racists? Quiet racists?

Let freedom ring, even if a bit too loud and even if hateful, or so it seems the Supreme Court has just ruled, and let us not get too wound up over people being loud. It's the violence -- physical harm -- we need to minimize or prevent to whatever extent reasonably possible.

Supreme Court unanimously reaffirms: There is no ‘hate speech’ exception to the First Amendment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e84ef440df3a

Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Mainstream media may be opposed to our current President, but "violently" opposed??? I don't see violence being proffered as a solution to our political woes any more on the left than it is on the right. For some reason, I see the right bringing up the second amendment as a problem-solving strategy much more than the left. On this forum, it is right-wing posters who seem to think a Civil War is inevitable and a good thing.
Certainly some of these protesters have turned violent at leftist demonstrations, and any and all violence should be prosecuted and discouraged. It's not like right-wing protesters are never violent.
Just because one does not "proffer" violence as a solution one can promote or push violence by how one spins a story or edits videos or uses terms/words/pictures they either know or should know will/could incite a violent reaction.
Ever notice that some protests are peaceful until cameras show up and turn on? Ever notice some protesters are calm,cool and collected until the cameras show up and turn on and then they fly off the handle?
You don't think the media KNOWS all of this and uses it to their own ends? They don't make money if things aren't in an uproar as that is what draws eyeballs.

As for the civil war thing, I am one who believes we are headed that way if things don't change or settle down. I'm certainly NOT hoping for it but I do see it as a very real possibility, more possible as the weeks go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies