Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 03:24 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times

Advertisements

When its one of your own, deflect and deny is the liberal SOP..
He was one of the lefts biggest supporters, and lost confidence and his own sense of reality. He voted and actually worked with Sanders on the campaign..
He lost it. Instead of seeking help, or whatever was available to him at his age, and took the path of martyrdom. Dude is a tool, a dull rusty pathetic tool, dead too. But can still vote in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 03:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yes.

That man didn't have to go shoot people. He could have marched in a protest march. Hell, he could've wrapped a rude note around a rock and tossed it through a window.

I mean, he had so many options other than trying to kill members of the US Congress.

I'm confident that if his sentiments were in any way the prevailing ones, we'd have seen widespread violence and attacks already.

We have not. A few people breaking shop windows or lighting bonfires does not a war make.

This man was in need of psychological help. I wish he'd gotten it.

I'm saddened by his actions. He hurt his own family, the families and people he shot, and he lost his own life.

For what?

Nothing.
I don't see him any more psychologically harmed than I do Scalise..........or more accurate, I see them both as problems in our society.

A guy who supports the mass killing of others over partisan politics has a problem with his thinking also. The sad thing is, Scalise actually has health care he can access.

I guess mine is a broad based complaint. I don't understand how people get so upset at the wounding of a person but can so easily dismiss the killing of many innocent people elsewhere. People are people. All of it needs to stop. Why is that idea so controversial?

Old 06-15-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is what we get when we, as a country, allow such easy access to guns. You reap what you sow.

No other modern country in the world has to deal with as much gun violence as we do - and all of them have stricter gun control laws.
No other modern country comes anywhere close to enacting the violence everywhere that we do. Why should we expect the people to be different than those who lead the country?

Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
Every politician I have seen speak today has said we need to stop the hatred, stop the fighting and unite. I have been advocating this for a long time.

Virtually all political divisiveness begins with a politician. They all do this because it gets them votes. Now that it's their neck on the line, they are advocating for peace. I hope it happens and the ugly divisiveness that exists on Capitol Hill turns back to the days when words like "compromise" was in their dictionary. The blame game is getting old.

But I'm not holding my breath. My guess is as soon as this blows over, they will be back at it again.

Leaders lead by example. Let's see what kind of leaders we really have.
It's funny when their own butts are in the crosshairs they now want Americans to embrace "civility" after they created this atmosphere and it starts at the TOP !
As you said politics will be probably back to normal next week.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Rand Paul praised the police, which was appropriate. Interestingly about one year ago he said this:

"Why do we have a Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer. It's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!" - Rand Paul 12:48 PM - 23 Jun 2016

I guess it boils down to people defining "tyrannical". According to many in the right, we have had tyranny for a long time, and for years they have said we "must take back our country , by armed revolution if necessary" and "tree of liberty must be watered with blood". Is that attitude coming back to haunt them? Was this nut-job trying to "drain the swamp"?

Old 06-15-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
It's funny when their own butts are in the crosshairs they now want Americans to embrace "civility" after they created this atmosphere and it starts at the TOP !
As you said politics will be probably back to normal next week.
I guess I see things differently than most.........Politicians all come together and claim how they will still have the ball game because it's something they enjoy and we can't let violence win.

But when something else happens they are quick to stop others from what they have done for years and enact regulations after regulations, curtailing our freedoms, allowing the violence to win.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Rand Paul praised the police, which was appropriate. Interestingly about one year ago he said this:

"Why do we have a Second Amendment? It's not to shoot deer. It's to shoot at the government when it becomes tyrannical!" - Rand Paul 12:48 PM - 23 Jun 2016

I guess it boils down to people defining "tyrannical". According to many in the right, we have had tyranny for a long time, and for years they have said we "must take back our country , by armed revolution if necessary" and "tree of liberty must be watered with blood". Is that attitude coming back to haunt them? Was this nut-job trying to "drain the swamp"?
It would be an interesting conversation to have with him. He is right as to what the founders said and why they did what they did.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 AM

727 posts, read 390,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yes.

That man didn't have to go shoot people. He could have marched in a protest march. Hell, he could've wrapped a rude note around a rock and tossed it through a window.

I mean, he had so many options other than trying to kill members of the US Congress.

I'm confident that if his sentiments were in any way the prevailing ones, we'd have seen widespread violence and attacks already.

We have not. A few people breaking shop windows or lighting bonfires does not a war make.

This man was in need of psychological help. I wish he'd gotten it.

I'm saddened by his actions. He hurt his own family, the families and people he shot, and he lost his own life.

For what?

Nothing.
I suppose that's a matter of opinion in the minds of the unreasonable. Most likely he felt he had "good reason" to do what he did. And maybe he was prepared to die for that reason. Maybe he figured no matter what happened to him, there would be a conversation started and his voice would be heard. Who knows? The man had cracked. Now that he's dead we may never know.

But after the attack had made it all over the news, another of the unhinged is reported to have said, "One down, 216 to go."

Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It would be an interesting conversation to have with him. He is right as to what the founders said and why they did what they did.
Yes. Like I said it boils down to people defining "tyrannical". Some people claim tyranny about everything they don't agree with.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes. Like I said it boils down to people defining "tyrannical". Some people claim tyranny about everything they don't agree with.
Paul does as much as anyone to counter it IMO so I would like to ask him where the founders were drawing the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies