Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,594,837 times

Advertisements

1 data point is not a trend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
next thing we'll hear is the sky is falling and life on earth will end...all being trump's fault.

It will take trump a while to reverse the flow of the economy that obama accidently reversed when he tried to reverse the climate and turn back the sea.

Fed says the economy is getting better, raised interest rates.

Jobs created beating the expected projections.

Trump spoke about the UE rate and the core of people no longer seeking work. As opposed to obama who played with 'the metrics' to pretend the UE was down. The UE rate was used out of perspective and no longer valid and Trump knows that and said so.

In retail, many big names are reorganizing and being consumed by bigger fish.

The fear and hate mongering campaign by the democrats has struck fear into the hearts of tourists.

Handing the center of excellence of terrorism 150 billion dollars, goes a long way to ensure we are a target waiting for a terror attack. Travel in general has tanked due to terrorism and its financial support by the great obama deal with Iran.
How do you figure "Jobs created beating the expected projections?" As the fed said today in their announcement job growth has slowed down.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
international tourism is well down since Trump was elected in Nov 16.

It takes a while to feed through, but according to foursquare and the data gained from the 50 million users they have, International tourism to USA is down 16%.

That might explain the big drop in flights to and from Europe this summer and fall. The drop in tourism could fully explain the drop in retail sales..

Rick scott is doing his best the declare FL tourism is "great " and record breaking, but vacation properties are not hitting their numbers and SALE prices of prime disney related vacation homes are horrible. Hotel bookings are not up nor are other related services. Some are saying Scott has something going with how they are counting tourists, maybe they are including pass through traffic or something. Or maybe they are counting snowbirds as tourists... who knows?

it really is worth paying attention to what is going on with Rick scott and his tourism claims, but they dont match what hoteliers car rental agency and theme parks are saying and have been saying.
Actually international tourism dollar spending is at an all time high since our great President was sworn into office.

https://skift.com/2017/04/17/interna...far-this-year/

Don't know if retail sales includes Amazon but if it doesn't, that explains the drop and if it does, the drop might be to the money people are saving by buying through Amazon.

Also, GDP is expected to grow at a pace about 50% faster than in 2016. Unemployment is at a 16 year low. The markets are at all time highs. Really Dims, you're acting like the Golden State fans that complained that they lost 1 game through the entire playoffs.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Online is going to kill retail. Not POTUS related.

Got my dress shirts today, via jcp.com delivered to my door.

I last shopped in their store which closes in days, 12 months ago.

Get household supplies delivered, too.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Actually international tourism dollar spending is at an all time high since our great President was sworn into office.

Don't know if retail sales includes Amazon but if it doesn't, that explains the drop and if it does, the drop might be to the money people are saving by buying through Amazon.

Also, GDP is expected to grow at a pace about 50% faster than in 2016. Unemployment is at a 16 year low. The markets are at all time highs. Really Dims, you're acting like the Golden State fans that complained that they lost 1 game through the entire playoffs.
Yup! Obama handed Trump a booming economy.

The retail sales probably does not include Amazon, and I expect it to continue falling. Malls are in deep trouble. The times are changing.

Forbes has the IMF report that says GDP growth will be worse under Trump then Obama. So a bit early to claim that-its arguable from both sides.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo.../#34ed4e312776
Quote:
In real terms (after inflation), the U.S. economy is expected to grow 2.1% in 2017. That's better than it did in 2016, Obama's last year in office. But looking back two years from 2016, and forward two years to 2019, you see that Obama's last two are going to be better for growth than Trump's first two, say World Bank economists.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yup! Obama handed Trump a booming economy.

The retail sales probably does not include Amazon, and I expect it to continue falling. Malls are in deep trouble. The times are changing.

Forbes has the IMF report that says GDP growth will be worse under Trump then Obama. So a bit early to claim that-its arguable from both sides.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo.../#34ed4e312776
The Republican House, Republican Senate and President Obama handed Trump a pretty decent economy that needs a bit more growth.

Amazon is killing the malls.

If Trump and the Repubs are able to get their tax plan passed, we will see far greater growth than any year of Obama.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:

You are right January and February were good travel months. Makes sense -- most international travel is booked months -- maybe even a year in advance...We probably wouldn't see effects until at least six months in -- so June.....

So we don't have to worry about trade tariffs if GDP is ontrack to grow that much -- why fuss with what's working right?

I just read the stats on 'improved' international travel -- lol. it's insignificant enough not to be even note worthy. Dang you got me again.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Overseas tourism is based on terrorist attacks and are inability to get a handle on it. Give Trump time on this, fixing what Obama refused to fix.
You may not have noticed, but there weren't exactly a whole lot of terrorist attacks committed on US soil by visiting foreigners while Obama was president.

Incidentally, Trump issued his original order back on January 27, for 90 days. It's now been 138 days and he hasn't produced anything. He hasn't shown that he's "getting a handle on it" and has yet to actually produce any sort of plan.

If his intent was a short term halt while they improved the vetting process, why is the administration still fighting it out in the courts 138 days later? The work should have been done 48 days ago.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You are right January and February were good travel months. Makes sense -- most international travel is booked months -- maybe even a year in advance...We probably wouldn't see effects until at least six months in -- so June.....

So we don't have to worry about trade tariffs if GDP is ontrack to grow that much -- why fuss with what's working right?

I just read the stats on 'improved' international travel -- lol. it's insignificant enough not to be even note worthy. Dang you got me again.
I agree that is a risk that I hope and believe Trump and his team will manage.

On the all time international tourism monies being spent in the US since Trump was elected, that growth of 3% flies in the face of all the predictions of catastraphic reductions that didn't happen.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
I agree that is a risk that I hope and believe Trump and his team will manage.

On the all time international tourism monies being spent in the US since Trump was elected, that growth of 3% flies in the face of all the predictions of catastraphic reductions that didn't happen.
When were the reductions predicted to happen -- in the first four months - i don't think so. LOL-- But it works for you for now.

I'm so impressed with how strong our economy has been for the last few years and it is going strong still. Who knew it didn't matter who was in office - Americans continue to consume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies