Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,521,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Most of our politicians are so ignorant of the Constitution, I think it's time a Constitution course and taking and passing a test on the Constitution, be mandatory before being allowed to hold office.
Given some of them think that it is okay to let illegals come here, get a drivers license, live here, work here, have children here, break laws here, partake in criminal activity with social security numbers etc
I don't think some of them give a crap about our Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Would this class be taught by liberals or conservatives? What is really frightening to me is that the judges on some courts don't know what the constitution says. Our last president thought we were being unreasonable to ask for proof of the few requirements our constitution requires for a person to be president.

I think our schools should start teaching real civics again. We have had enough of social government. Let's get back to the real rules of the constitution. Many rules are being twisted.

For instance, I learned in my 9th grade civics class that a natural born citizen is a person born on American soil. Nothing else qualified a person to be a natural born citizen. Other rules let a person be a citizen but to be a natural born citizen they had to be born inside the American borders. Why? That was what they meant when that was written into the constitution. Other historical papers prove this. If everybody had studied civics and learned this you would not have people saying somebody is a natural born citizen because they had one American parent. Who a natural born citizen's parent is does not matter unless they were diplomats from another country. An illegal alien's child could be a natural born citizen if they were born inside the USA border.
POLITICS ASIDE-
Poster, you know that Hawaii is a STATE, right? so yea THAT IS AMERICAN SOIL.
Maybe we should require a United States GEOGRAPHY exam in addition to the Constitution test (its a requirement to pass to graduate middle school for my 8th grader, so why shouldn't anyone in government be required to pass it too?).

Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
LOL!!! He did not release his birth certificate! He released a forged birth certificate, which was quickly and easily identified as such.
LOL, indeed...this is still a thing that people are actually debating. Wow. It's time to move on.

Quote:
Who gives a damn about Trump's tax returns? There is no requirement for him to release his taxes, but he did voluntarily release a very detailed financial statement, which had far more information in it than any tax return would.
Me? And plenty of other Americans (actually, the majority!...but hey, who cares about that, right!?! ).

That financial statement did not reveal more information than full returns. Get out of here with that nonsense.

It is quite telling that he WON'T do it - one would think if he wanted that story to go away, he could just simply release them and get it over with. I'm kind of tired of hearing about them, too. But he won't. Yes, it's weird and perplexing.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Our last president thought we were being unreasonable to ask for proof of the few requirements our constitution requires for a person to be president.
Birfers. Never change.

Quote:
For instance, I learned in my 9th grade civics class that a natural born citizen is a person born on American soil.
I learned a lot of things in 9th grade that turned out to be, kindly put, oversimplifications.

Here's a nice article from the Harvard Law review, co-authored by two guys whose careers involve acting as Solicitor General. And they disagree, I'm concerned to say, with your 9th grade teacher.

https://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03...-born-citizen/

Old 06-14-2017, 02:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Most of our politicians are so ignorant of the Constitution, I think it's time a Constitution course and taking and passing a test on the Constitution, be mandatory before being allowed to hold office.

You actually may be on to something that is very important and should be a requirement to know it like the back of your hand, for any government job.

Hell for being an American!
Teach the dang thing in very thorough understanding of the words, in school.... Bi-Yearly!.
Letting the kids know, all those blanks and vagueness, is their LIBERTY!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Given some of them think that it is okay to let illegals come here, get a drivers license, live here, work here, have children here, break laws here, partake in criminal activity with social security numbers etc
I don't think some of them give a crap about our Constitution.

The wealthy property owners who wrote the Constitution didn't give a crap about people who don't own property.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
YES!!!!!! There should be standard test for our elected officials.

They should know history, the Constitution, etc.

It isn't good enough to hope they hire the right people to help them.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You actually may be on to something that is very important and should be a requirement to know it like the back of your hand, for any government job.

Hell for being an American!
Teach the dang thing in very thorough understanding of the words, in school.... Bi-Yearly!.
Letting the kids know, all those blanks and vagueness, is their LIBERTY!
I'm impressed with how much my kids know about The Constitution. We are originally Canadian and they have been here for the last 20 years-- most of elementary, all of middle and high school and university education. When we have discussions they seem to understand the Constitution way more than some of their peers who are born Americans.

Thing is -- kids retain what they want. Kids learn the stuff they just don't hold on to it.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:25 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
Quote:

Trump talked about the 12 Articles in the Constitution.

I guess he flunks.

When do we start impeachment?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e986d0ce814b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies