Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:00 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Most of our politicians are so ignorant of the Constitution, I think it's time a Constitution course and taking and passing a test on the Constitution, be mandatory before being allowed to hold office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 01:09 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Seems unnecessary. If the president or a congressmen attempts to pass a law that is unconstitutional, the courts will stop it. So while it would be nice to avoid that waste of time, there is a system in place to uphold the constitution.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
will the test be multiple choice and graded on a curve?

Old 06-14-2017, 01:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Would this class be taught by liberals or conservatives? What is really frightening to me is that the judges on some courts don't know what the constitution says. Our last president thought we were being unreasonable to ask for proof of the few requirements our constitution requires for a person to be president.

I think our schools should start teaching real civics again. We have had enough of social government. Let's get back to the real rules of the constitution. Many rules are being twisted.

For instance, I learned in my 9th grade civics class that a natural born citizen is a person born on American soil. Nothing else qualified a person to be a natural born citizen. Other rules let a person be a citizen but to be a natural born citizen they had to be born inside the American borders. Why? That was what they meant when that was written into the constitution. Other historical papers prove this. If everybody had studied civics and learned this you would not have people saying somebody is a natural born citizen because they had one American parent. Who a natural born citizen's parent is does not matter unless they were diplomats from another country. An illegal alien's child could be a natural born citizen if they were born inside the USA border.

Last edited by NCN; 06-14-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 01:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
I'd be happy to give them all a test right now while they are holding office. No advance warning. Anyone who fails has to resign.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Seems unnecessary. If the president or a congressmen attempts to pass a law that is unconstitutional, the courts will stop it. So while it would be nice to avoid that waste of time, there is a system in place to uphold the constitution.
Pretty much - although, it would be nice if there was some basic required training at the beginning of every politician's term in these matters. Just like anyone gets training when starting a new job.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Would this class be taught by liberals or conservatives? What is really frightening to me is that the judges on some courts don't know what the constitution says. Our last president thought we were being unreasonable to ask for proof of the few requirements our constitution requires for a person to be president.

I think our schools should start teaching real civics again. We have had enough of social government. Let's get back to the real rules of the constitution. Many rules are being twisted.

For instance, I learned in my 9th grade civics class that a natural born citizen is a person born on American soil. Nothing else qualified a person to be a natural born citizen. Other rules let a person be a citizen but to be a natural born citizen they had to be born inside the American borders. Why? That was what they meant when that was written into the constitution. Other historical papers prove this. If everybody had studied civics and learned this you would not have people saying somebody is a natural born citizen because they had one American parent. Who a natural born citizen's parent is does not matter unless they were diplomats from another country. An illegal alien's child could be a natural born citizen if they were born inside the USA border.
Our last President released his birth certificate and tax records. The current President, not so much.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Most of our politicians are so ignorant of the Constitution, I think it's time a Constitution course and taking and passing a test on the Constitution, be mandatory before being allowed to hold office.
The first person to fail it would likely be our current POTUS.

But yes, I support this.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Our last President released his birth certificate and tax records. The current President, not so much.
LOL!!! He did not release his birth certificate! He released a forged birth certificate, which was quickly and easily identified as such.

Who gives a damn about Trump's tax returns? There is no requirement for him to release his taxes, but he did voluntarily release a very detailed financial statement, which had far more information in it than any tax return would.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:42 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Yes. They supposedly swear to uphold it. The only question is who does the testing? Obama is supposed to be a Constitutional professor, but there is very little evidence he's ever read it, much less can teach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies