Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 04:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What the anti gun crowd doesn't understand is that you aren't taking guns away from criminals; you're taking guns away from law abiding citizens who can use them to protect against violent criminals. Criminals will just get guns illegally if they're outlawed. Banning guns also doesn't reduce the amount of crime; all it does is make criminals resort to using other weapons.
What they don't understand is that the POS that did this wasn't interested in shooting a gun, he was interested in killing people. A gun isn't the only way to kill people. A vehicle can do that very well.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
I'm not for banning guns but I am for:
1. People purchasing them legally (close all loopholes)
2. People who have a mental capacity (i.e. As determined by a doctor) should not be allowed to purchase one
3. All people who submit to bying one need to go to a mandatory training program.

How does that prevent you, me or the really bad guys from making our own firearm?
I can make my own semi-auto or fully auto firearm in my garage in about a day if I push it.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:37 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
2. People who have a mental capacity (i.e. As determined by a doctor) should not be allowed to purchase one
3. All people who submit to bying one need to go to a mandatory training program.
A problem with point 2 is the whole doctor/patient confidentiality. While there is an exception to that agreement in the form of a person representing a possible threat to themselves or another, this would still require the doctor to know that individual planned on purchasing a gun and having reasonable concern for how they intend to use it. Without knowing this could happen, it could be seen as a violation of the patients rights.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:38 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
I wish all of this on the rights to vote, but it won't happen either.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How does that prevent you, me or the really bad guys from making our own firearm?
I can make my own semi-auto or fully auto firearm in my garage in about a day if I push it.
I have access to a machine shop, I too can make my own gun and bullets as well.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So then you are willing to live with the consequences and just give up?
Matter of speaking, YES, because you are talking about the second amendment and the Constitution of the US. This is part of the cost of living in a free society.

It rather reminds me of the set of lines in the Adam-12 episode, The Trial. What happens is that Reed innocently does an illegal search in which they find "speed" and bust the guy on that. At the trial, the illegal search cancels the evidence and the guy is released. The judge says something like, "You are fortunate to live in a country where the rights apply both to the innocent and the criminal (he may have said guilty). It is my opinion that you should be in jail but I have no choice but to release you."

We can have, plausibly, a perfect society but it probably would not be too free at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
No point for you maybe but you don't speak for me or anyone else on this country. Or is the first amendment just toilet paper to you?

There needs to be much better regulation of guns. Most countries with more guns are not more but less safe. Restricting high capacity assault weapons is a good start.
Isn't that rather missing the point? At first, it is talked about holding the first amendment high but then when it comes to the second amendment, it is talking about regulating it. They are both amendments, rights, in the Constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Why do you want to own a gun? Just because I want one and it is my right? Not good enough. Establish a NEED, as many state do have on the books........
Rights are RIGHTS, they are not established by needs.

We get back up to the judge in Adam-12. The man on trial is clearly a criminal, what need does he have to be protected from an illegal search?

Nevertheless, it is his Right to be protected from illegal searches, whether he is a criminal or not.

BUT, we can say there is a need of individual rights. That need is to protect the individual from being deprived by majority rule.

There we go.

Quote:
Item 2 is Unconstitutional for it violates the due process clause of the 14th amendment. Basically, if one wants to remove another's rights, they take them to trial. It is against the Constitution to do it through a list, it is against the Constitution to make arbituary laws that do it, it has to be done by taking them to court.

Item 3 is Unconstitutional because it is requiring training before one can exercise a right and no other rights require such training.

We are talking about a RIGHT........not a priv.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-14-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What the anti gun crowd doesn't understand is that you aren't taking guns away from criminals; you're taking guns away from law abiding citizens who can use them to protect against violent criminals. Criminals will just get guns illegally if they're outlawed. Banning guns also doesn't reduce the amount of crime; all it does is make criminals resort to using other weapons.
Yeah, they don't seem to understand drugs are illegal and people tend to still do them to this day without much of a hitch.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:43 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If he wanted to kill people, he could have waited for them in the parking lot and ran them over with his car.

Ban cars?
Sure cars can be used AS a weapon, but that is not their designed use. They are transportation vehicles to haul you from one place to another. That's what they are for.

Guns? They ARE a weapon. Extracting projectiles at high speeds to do damage are what they are for.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:48 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
There are as many guns in this country as there are people. Guns aren't going anywhere. Bad guys want and have them. Good guys want and have them. Neither group is going to give them up. No point in discussing it anymore.
What about the untreated crazy guys who have them?

Old 06-14-2017, 04:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I want a gun therefore I need a gun.

Case closed.
You can't fight like a man-therefore you want a gun. Too cowardly, lazy and out of shape to learn how to defend yourself without a firearm. Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies