Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Change? We're talking less than $1? I would have left that for the waitstaff, anyway. / shrug
I would also, but if they didn't give me the change that would only be their tip.

I haven't encountered that here when I go out, but I usually use a credit card.

I had pizza delivery once and my bill was $22.xx. I gave the guy $40 and he asked if he could keep the change $18. No!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I'm in the Dallas area; I haven't seen this at all.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Probably punishment for still using paper money.

Most business's want cash. I was in Philly recently and went to this really nice Chinese Restaurant there. We paid in cash and she returned with a 10% refund, the business's there were trying to encourage the use of cash. Every time you use that card it cost them money.

A friend of mine has small hardware store, he stays in business because he is well stocked. You wouldn't buy from him if you needed thousands of screws but if need a box or even one machine or specialty screw he'll sell it to you. He gets a lot of traffic that way and people know they get exactly what they need without having to travel another 30 minutes. He can't sell that stuff if someone is using a card, if it's 50 cent bolt he'd be better of giving it to them than the CC.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post

I had pizza delivery once and my bill was $22.xx. I gave the guy $40 and he asked if he could keep the change $18. No!
If I'm ever handing someone money and expect money back with tip involved I simply tell them what I want back before they even have chance to assume it's all a tip.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:20 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
I would also, but if they didn't give me the change that would only be their tip.

Wow. That takes some nerve. But at least he asked. On one occasion, I paid a bill in cash. It was $28 max. I gave the waiter $40 and waited and waited for the change. My wife and I finally asked what was going on. We never said the waiter could keep the change, but he assumed he could take a 30% tip by not returning it, then waiting for the gratuity amount we chose.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:

Wow. I'd have not tipped him at all simply for expecting an $18 tip on a $22 pizza order. Ridiculous greed!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't know where this thread should go, so if it's in the wrong place mods (I thought it might be controversial), please relocate. I have noticed this happening over and over in my hometown of Houston, and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. My wife and I go out to sit down restaurants once or twice a week and frequently pay the bill in cash. For the past year or two, the server often brings us back the dollar bills and neglects the change. When they do this, they always short us on the change; they never round up to the next dollar as they should if they had no change available to give us. If we point out the problem, they act like they forgot to bring it to us.

This happened again yesterday after the server gave us crappy service throughout the entire meal, and he did not return our $0.40 in change. I had it happen at a bookstore, when the bookseller didn't give me my $0.20 in change. Starbucks has done this to me more than once. Over and over again it has happened. For those who think I am being petty, I disagree. It is not the store or server's money, it is mine.

If the item is $5.82, I deserve $0.18 returned to me, because the item did not cost $6.00. It is a form of overt thievery. And when store staff does this to customers repeatedly throughout the day, they can pocket a lot of customer money without the store knowing it. I'm sure many customers won't confront the employee or tell the store because they think they are being petty. What do you think?

Must be the side of town you patronize.

I'm in Houston about 10 times a year for the weekend. Never happen to me. I usually stay over in the Kingwood area,

Old 06-15-2017, 11:39 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We always tip very well if the service is good. My point is, staff should not automatically keep change for themselves. It's not theirs to keep. As for the bookseller, that was very odd. She owned the store and attempted to keep my change, so it wasn't even about tipping at all.
There is an easy solution to this. And I suspect 90% of restaurant customers already do it this way.

When I pay cash in a restaurant I include the tip with the check so expecting change back is never an issue. Lets say the lunch bill is $39.17 or $40.32. I calculate a 20% tip and leave 50 dollars. I walk away and do not have to wait for change.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The only time I have this problem is at the $4.99 haircut places. I never get the penny back.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:47 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I never have had this happen. However I rarely pay in cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies