Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times

Advertisements

Comedians make jokes because they are comedians. People laugh. Comedians are not the news media. Nobody ever says something is true because a comedian said it. Comedians are never cited as a news source. Johnny Carson, Jack Parr, Jay Leno, Letterman all made jokes about all the presidents and congress, and nobody ever blamed them for actions by mentally ill people.

Strident radio talk show hosts such as Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh state comments and opinions as fact and even purvey it as news. Some people actually believe them and repeat these distorted opinions and theories as facts. This is dangerous.

It is a sad day in America when fascists with no sense of humor would censor comedians because they are offended by their jokes. I think even Putin allows comedy, though I'm not positive. I would guess jokes are not allowed in NK and perhaps the Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Colbert's a snake, completely devoid of human compassion or conscience. Ditto he is not at all sincere.
So, you think Stephen Colbert has something against a bunch of Congressmen and their aides, to the point that he wishes them physical harm?

Amazing.

Absolutely amazing.

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
He will be back to his usual anti-Trump and anti-conservative vitriol within a week, if not tonight.
So, what's wrong with that? There are a lot of people who are anti-conservative in this country. If there wasn't, people like Colbert wouldn't be as popular as he is.

There are plenty of conservative talk show hosts that spew anti liberal vitriol. Do you have the same problem with them?

Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Take a look at Twitter and dedicated left wing sites like HuffPo, DU, etc. He's not necessarily wrong.
Well, I have no Twitter or FB accounts and have no interest in looking at them. He said most liberals, I say that's factually unsupported BS until proven otherwise.

And anyone who believes you won't find similar crap on dedicated right wing sites is a prime prospect for buying a lovely little bridge in Brooklyn.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Don't you think he brought some of this "vileness" as you put it, on himself, though?

He ran a very crude, divisive campaign. I don't disagree that people need to maybe take it down a notch and wait for something to legitimately gripe about, but the talk needs to be more around contacting your Congressional reps and making plans to get out the vote in 2018 than it needs to be nutballs like Kathy Griffin with her fake, bloody head routine.

I knew when she did that that it was a sign that some of these people are unhinged. Being a "celebrity" (I use the word loosely) doesn't mean you cannot also be mentally unbalanced. Just look at Susan Sarandon. What the hell happened to her?

So, I agree with you and I don't. Some of them are reasonable in their criticisms and others are over the top.

Trump is disliked more than Bush was at this time in his presidency. So, we are bound to see more complaints.
He said some crude things, but that's what got him elected over the robotic, no message Hillary. There were also instances of leftists attacking people at Trump rallies, but the news edited the footage to make it seem like it was reversed and Trump praising it. That's the only thing that really ticked me off, but I digress.

But, you're right. A better message for the left right now, is to really do what you suggested. Make calls to congressman. Be active in the community. Volunteer, make phone calls, do grass root campaigns.

All this RESIST! And WE GOTTA PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE! and DONT GRAB MY PU$$IE stuff is just non-sense and won't get us liberals anywhere. It's more embarrassing than anything because we're supposed to be the adults in this situation. Instead, we're acting like children just like Trump is...in fact lately, the left have been acting MORE like the whiney children who don't get their way. That's not how to solve the issues. Like the Kathy Griffin thing was supposed to be a joke.....what exactly is the joke?

I miss the liberals who acted the way they did during the Obama/McCain campaign. They weren't whiney crybabies. They were articulate, mature.

**People may not get this from the way I post (since I seem to post more to the right these days) but I was a volunteer for the DNC back in 2008 to get Obama elected and again in 2012, and....nobody acted like the liberals are acting in 2017****

Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Umm... this is legit scary.

You're wrong, btw.

I'm very confident that you are wrong.
^^^This.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why would you have Trump photos on your FB page? To annoy people? If not, that's a little creepy unless you are a fifteen year old girl with a celebrity crush on the president.
I'm a huge supporter of Trump. Been to rallies and a Thank-You tour stop. Lots of fun.

Gun violence would drop 90% today if liberals would stop shooting people.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
I believe that most liberals are quietly supporting the shooting.

Ladies and gentleman, there it is. A comment so disgusting, offensive, and inappropriate, that you're ready to add them to your "ignore" list.

I hope your fellow conservative posters call you out on this comment, because it's repulsive.

spillerNburr, thank you for showing us who you really are.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:04 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Oh, come on... you know that crazy people do crazy crap and it's not really okay to blame late-night TV hosts for it.

They're largely comedians. If people cannot see that it's comedy, no matter how biting it can be now and again, then those people are crazy people.

And, we cannot police the comedy and late-night TV world to avoid setting of nuts, can we?

I mean, we could if we were China.

But... do we want that?
Depends on who "we" is. Some of "we" would like nothing better than to establish an authoritarian regime and dump the democratic process. But to trot out a well worn phrase, be careful what you wish for. Let the people that wish for this live in Russia or in China for a while, then we will see if they still want that.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Ladies and gentleman, there it is. A comment so disgusting, offensive, and inappropriate, that you're ready to add them to your "ignore" list.

I hope your fellow conservative posters call you out on this comment, because it's repulsive.

spillerNburr, thank you for showing us who you really are.
I think a lot of liberals use the "he had it coming" excuse for violence against conservatives whether it's a Muslim or triggered Liberal doing the violence. Conservatives see cops look away all the time when triggered Liberals attack conservatives. The Liberals have admittedly taken it up a notch yesterday, and I think most are against gun attacks right now, but I do think many just nod it off for the most part.

I haven't seen Liberals do any candlelight vigils for the attack yet. Pretty silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies