Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:32 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,363,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why should republicans fix that liberal abortion? It's your crap sandwich, you fix it.
What??? Doesn't Congress work for ALL CITIZENS?? There were over 100 GOP amendments/ideas incorporated into the ACA. The hearings went on for over 18 months. The GOP's only problem is - ideologically they are OPPOSED to health care for all. THEY DON'T WANT IT. This is why they didn't try to improve the ACA, worked actively to defund and undermine it, and why, today, they still can't arrive at a better replacement. And, they won't. Whatever finally comes out of Congress will, over time, detrimentally affect tens of millions of people - and we will once again be hearing stories about life/death services not being covered, preexisting conditions making insurance unaffordable - all the while health insurance companies are making record profits and paying their CEO's eight figure salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:38 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,619,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Why should republicans fix that liberal abortion? It's your crap sandwich, you fix it.
ACA was a great plan, that the Republicans spent 7 years tearing down because they knew they could never claim credit and that they could use it as a boogeyman to scare up votes.

I understand that you feel you and your family will make it through life without needing it, but some of your direct family or friends or you grandma or your great grandkids will find themselves on hard times and sick.

And at that point everything you said and did will hurt them and maybe even kill them. And frankly that is what you are asking for when you push the lie that ACA is as you say "crap sandwich".

ACA has worked in states that wanted it to work. Sure it starting to break down but mostly because the Right has used its position to block ever adjustment and change Obama tried to make to improve it.
Most because red states denied their denizens the federal monies. Mostly because Trump purposely generates uncertainty to make it hard for insurers to predict costs.

Florida's biggest insurer made a strong profit last year and predict a better one next year, they are meeting the terms and providing a service level that 10 years ago was completely denied to many. If it can work in unhealthy FL, it can work anywhere. And it works in one form or another across the developed world.

The USA struggles because a handful of rich families want to keep americans working into their graves and want keep their costs low. You swallow that lie and deprive yourself , your family and your own future.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
What??? Doesn't Congress work for ALL CITIZENS?? There were over 100 GOP amendments/ideas incorporated into the ACA. The hearings went on for over 18 months. The GOP's only problem is - ideologically they are OPPOSED to health care for all. THEY DON'T WANT IT. This is why they didn't try to improve the ACA, worked actively to defund and undermine it, and why, today, they still can't arrive at a better replacement. And, they won't. Whatever finally comes out of Congress will, over time, detrimentally affect tens of millions of people - and we will once again be hearing stories about life/death services not being covered, preexisting conditions making insurance unaffordable - all the while health insurance companies are making record profits and paying their CEO's eight figure salaries.
The only way to fix it is repeal it.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And this is why I have no sympathy for them. If they voted to lose their own health coverage, then they cannot complain that they lost their health coverage. Full stop. I have health coverage. I voted to support those that gained it to continue to receive it even if it's at a cost to me. But these Trump supporters voted to lose it so, no longer my problem. And that's how I feel about all of Trump supporting Appalachia and the Rust Belt. They got what they voted for - no sympathies and no health care.

There is an old expression that comes to mind here. " It is a recession when YOU are out of work, and it is a depression when I am out of work." Same with the people who voted for Trump, they don't care as long as the other guy is getting shafted by things Trump does, but, Lordy, just wait until one of his cuts or acts affects THEM !!

I'm like you, I have zero sympathy for the people who voted for him, and will be there to say I told you so when they get bit in the ass.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
...they’re still voting Republican.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cky-trump-ahca

"Voting for this party has made my life dramatically worse, but I'll still do it again next time because immigrants!"
At this point, with some people, I feel like Trump could do almost anything (e.g. murder someone on TV), and they'd still respond with "Well, he was better than Hillary".

Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
At this point, with some people, I feel like Trump could do almost anything (e.g. murder someone on TV), and they'd still respond with "Well, he was better than Hillary".

Oh, there is no doubt about it...........they think he can do no wrong. Even if they do, behind closed doors, admit to themselves that he is flawed, they still like him because he is a thorn in the side of the establishment. Kinda like watching a movie and cheering for the bad guy.

Like a guy I work with said, "At least he is better than what we have had for the past 8 years!" When I pressed him for reasons why he thought Obama was so bad, he really had nothing to say, he simply did not like Obama for whatever reasons. Before he and I came to blows, I thought it best to drop the subject.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh, there is no doubt about it...........they think he can do no wrong. Even if they do, behind closed doors, admit to themselves that he is flawed, they still like him because he is a thorn in the side of the establishment. Kinda like watching a movie and cheering for the bad guy.

Like a guy I work with said, "At least he is better than what we have had for the past 8 years!" When I pressed him for reasons why he thought Obama was so bad, he really had nothing to say, he simply did not like Obama for whatever reasons.
I think for some of those people, it was less about Trump (although there is a cult thing going on, for sure) and more about not wanting the Democratic candidate (particularly Hillary Clinton) to win.

Some of these people would have probably taken a literal monkey or ape over HRC or a Democratic candidate.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM

57,063 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Obamacare is awful, Republicans who obstruct getting rid of it will likely be identified and primaried out in 2018.
If the senate passes the AHCA in it's present form they will be run out of the country, getting rid of something is easy replacement legislation is difficult.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I think for some of those people, it was less about Trump (although there is a cult thing going on, for sure) and more about not wanting the Democratic candidate (particularly Hillary Clinton) to win.

Some of these people would have probably taken a literal monkey or ape over HRC or a Democratic candidate.

There is some absolute truth in that. Hillary had a few problems, her baggage, lingering questions about her emails, and the fact she was not the inspiring speaker that Barack Obama is. If Obama had been running against Trump it would have been a totally different horse race.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM

727 posts, read 389,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleofariver View Post
When i couldn't go back to work i got Obamacare and then I had to switch health insurance because Anthem opted out of Obamacare. And this November my Obamacare might drop out. A few counties next to me dropped out of Obamacare.

It's ridiculous all these experience Polticians cannot come up with a plan for good healthcare.

Obamacare doesn't last.
Anthem is dropping out of so many markets because they fear the Pubs will slash funding (so they can hand the savings to the fat cats) and the government won't be able to pay Anthem.

The politicians are perfectly capable of coming up with a health care plan that rivals the best in the world. They just don't want to because if they do, the fat cats will stop the trainloads of cash from flowing into Washington. Then the politicians will have to actually work for US. And we can't have THAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies