Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:00 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I seriously doubt President Trump's removing IRS penalties caused anyone to lose coverage in Kentucky.

If it isn't subsidized then people will have to actually pay their own premiums. Democrats should not have voted in a piece of legislation that was not affordable. The handiwork for this lies with BO, Reid, Pelosi and every Democrat who voted for this monstrosity. President Trump stands guilty of refusing to permit stealing to fund the ACA.
Many young healthy people are not penalized they won't sign up for healthcare, health plans dropping out of the system makes access difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 05:03 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
I call BS on this. I lived in the UK for 9 years, and the vast and overwhelming majority of Brits cannot for the life of them comprehend the US healthcare system. Despite it too having its problems, they wouldn't trade the NHS for our system in a million years. Look at any opinion poll or literature on the subject. Why do you think every single political party in the UK from the Conservative Tories to UKIP to of course parties like Labour and the Greens are all supportive of the NHS? Because it would be suicide to be against it. One of Nigel Farage's talking points regarding Brexit was that by leaving the EU, Westminster would have billions more pounds to spend on the NHS. Theresa May too in this past election cycle was vouching for increased NHS spending in the Tory manifesto.

I know Brits who range in socioeconomic circles from blue collar folks from northern England and Scotland all the way to investment bankers working in the centre of London at places like HSBC, Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank and all of them support the NHS.

And of course they also have a private insurance system running alongside the NHS. Why wouldn't they? It's a good business opportunity for companies and insurance providers, and also takes strain off the NHS services. Brits don't hate private insurance- the key difference between the US and the UK in that regard is that in the UK everyone has a base of care to fall back on and people are able to supplement their care with private insurance if they so choose. It's a lot cheaper than it is stateside too since the insurance companies have to compete with the government which provides services for free at the point of access.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...affled-enraged

I just love when people run their mouths and have no idea what they're talking about
Good points, I love these one person anecdotes that people take as proof that the ACA doesn't work.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:06 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I picture most legislators opposing health care are blessed to be in excellent health, along with their family members, and just don't see the need for it. In other words, "I'm in great health, so why can't you be, too" attitude.
My understanding is most legislators have gold level, government-provided insurance.

I think they should be in the VA system myself.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-17-2017 at 05:46 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 05:36 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the Republicans had cooperated instead of obstructing, during the Obama years, the ACA would have become a single-payer healthcare program for everyone. The national cost of healthcare would have gone down sharply and all of us, except for health insurance companies, would have been served much better.
Didn't the Republicans add like 150 amendments to ACA? Why do they put it all on Dems?

ACA is flawed but a lot of the problems we've been seeing are due to Republican governors rejecting Medicaid expansion even though it would help the people in their states. And what we're seeing now is insurers uncertain over the future of healthcare in this country.

We'll see if both sides will ever get together to work on this. Right now McConnell is blocking everyone except 13 white Republican male senators from even seeing what trumpcare looks like now.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:51 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
All I will offer is a blank look to the fear in their face and silently walk away. Persona non grata. A ghost. *poof*
Excuse me??? I'm a poof. I object to the use of that word in association with those who voted for Trump only to lose or have health care costs go so high they can't afford it.

I can anticipate advertising for 2018.

ACA took 18 months to hash out and your GOP Senator met in secret and decided over lunch to replace it with NOTHING.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:51 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

We'll see if both sides will ever get together to work on this. Right now McConnell is blocking everyone except 13 white Republican male senators from even seeing what trumpcare looks like now.
There's speculation McConnell will put out the House version of Trumpcare for debate and then an hour before the vote, substitute the Senate version.

Surely, not.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The uninsured rate here in this rural swath of southeastern Kentucky has plummeted faster under the Affordable Care Act than any other area in the country.""

Sounds like the ACA wasn't doing too well for these folks. As President Trump has yet to get a replacement bill through yet you can't blame him for this.

Why is anyone surprised they voted for Trump?
If the uninsured rate has plummeted, that means that more people are insured. Which means that the ACA was doing well for these folks, and they just voted against their own self interest when they voted republican.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
VOX?

Founder tweeted this week that "Republicans Are Getting What They Want" in regards to the shooting.

Vox Co-Founder Tweets After Congressman Shot: 'Republicans Are Getting What They Want'

/thread
Scalise is one of the senators who took money from the NRA to vote for the bill that made it possible for the shooter to own guns, even though he had mental problems and a history of domestic violence.

In addition, he was saved by a woman police officer who was married to another woman, even though he is one of the loudest voices in congress to deprive her of her rights as a citizen. If it had been up to him she would not have had a marriage or a job.

The irony is deafening.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:55 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
If the uninsured rate has plummeted, that means that more people are insured. Which means that the ACA was doing well for these folks, and they just voted against their own self interest when they voted republican.
My own state adopted the ACA, and we are facing a horrendous budget problem (though the ACA is one of several reasons for this.) Our legislature is talking about putting up toll roads, raising gas taxes and various other means to pay for this. I don't happen to think it's in our interest to increase the cost to live in my state. Yet that's exactly what our legislature is going to have to do. Bottom line is, there is no free lunch.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Blame the Republicans for the defunding and accelerated demise of the ACA and refusal to cooperate w/Dems in fixing the flaws.
So Republicans should be blamed because they put a stop to stealing to fund the ACA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies