Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh absolutely! I understand your point completely and I do agree with you.

After all, the VERY FIRST THING i learned from my suicide survivor support group is that, "Suicide is a complicated issue, no one is to blame."

This said, like a poster pointed out in the beginning of the thread,

This isn't a simple, "oh go kill yourself ffs" type comment. This was a systematic attempt to break someone down and encourage them to kill themselves so she could benefit. What happened is beyond ****ed up it was criminal. The intent to have someone kill themselves and then systematically mentally assaulting them to make sure it happens is most certainly criminal.

Couples fight all the time. People say things they don't mean to say all the time; We should all forgive ourselves sometimes. But this is just not one of those scenarios.

I agree completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
That girl is a devil

Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
"Her behavior was so morally reprehensible, but I wasn't sure how, as a matter of law, it constituted as manslaughter."

Agreed

Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Good question. This is the slippery slope I mentioned in my first post in this thread. Where do we draw the line once we start down this path?
Who knows? What about if you encourage your alcoholic friend with the bad liver disease to get hammered every Friday night or beg your obese friend to go to fast food restaurants 3x a week knowing she just had a heart attack and they both croak on you?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Goodness.

I find myself in agreement with you on this one.

The woman certainly has issues, and I suspect that her subscription isn't up, but she should not have been charged with manslaughter. I am however, surprised, this wasn't a jury trial.
She was under 18 at the time, so she is being tried under juvenile law. In most states, juveniles don't get jury trials.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Who knows? What about if you encourage your alcoholic friend with the bad liver disease to get hammered every Friday night or beg your obese friend to go to fast food restaurants 3x a week knowing she just had a heart attack and they both croak on you?
Not the same situation at all.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So??? Like she has a duty to mankind, or something?
Treating this as if she pulled the trigger, is so wrong in many ways.
If she was an uninvolved bystander, I'd agree with you.

But - she wasn't.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
She was under 18 at the time, so she is being tried under juvenile law. In most states, juveniles don't get jury trials.
Really? I didn't know that. But I'm still puzzled why she waa charged with such a harsh crime given the history of both of them having mental illness (I read somewhere she was bipolar and depressed herself) and the fact that she was a juvenile. I wonder if she came off as an unsympathetic defendant which made the texts even worse.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Really? I didn't know that. But I'm still puzzled why she waa charged with such a harsh crime given the history of both of them having mental illness (I read somewhere she was bipolar and depressed herself) and the fact that she was a juvenile. I wonder if she came off as an unsympathetic defendant which made the texts even worse.
I think the verdict is about accurate. I do believe she should receive counseling instead of jail time.

After all, involuntary manslaughter sentences differ among the states, the crime is usually treated as a felony at both the federal and state level. This means that it can be punished by at least 12 months imprisonment, fines and probation, among other sentences.

She perhaps would get probation + counseling or six month in prison. Looks like this is something she deserves.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,121,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the verdict is about accurate. I do believe she should receive counseling instead of jail time.

After all, involuntary manslaughter sentences differ among the states, the crime is usually treated as a felony at both the federal and state level. This means that it can be punished by at least 12 months imprisonment, fines and probation, among other sentences.

She perhaps would get probation + counseling or six month in prison. Looks like this is something she deserves.
Shes old enough to realize her crimes. lock her up, that will teach her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies