Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 12:48 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times

Advertisements

Luis Haza's father supported the revolution but was executed shorty after. Luis did perform publicly in Cuba, and escaped to Spain with his family in 1964. But I can find no verification of this "guns blazing" story.

Transcript from Trump's speech:
"...and to those people, america has become a source of strength and our flag a symbol of hope the I know that is exactly what America is to you and what it represents to you. It represents the same to me, it represents the same to all of us. and that is what it was to a little boy, Luis Haza. You ever hear of Luis? Became very famous. great talent. Just 8 years old when Fidel Castro seized power.

At the time, Luis' father was the police chief in Santiago -- Santiago, Cuba. You know Santiago? They know Santiago. Just days after Fidel took control, his father was one of 71 Cubans executed by firing squad near San Juan Hill at the hands of the Castro regime. Luis buried his grief in his great love of music. he began playing the violin so brilliantly and so beautifully. soon the regime saw his incredible gift and wanted to use him for propaganda purposes. when he was 12 they organized a national television special and understand demanded he play -- and demanded he play a solo for Raul Castro, who by the way is leaving now.

I wonder why. they sent an official to fetch Luis from his home, but Luis refused to go, and a few days later Castro's soldiers barged into his orchestra practice area, guns blazing. they told him to play for them. Terrified, Luis began to play, and the entire room was stunned by what they heard. ringing out from the trembling boy's violin was the tune they all recognized. this young Cuban boy was playing "the star-spangled banner." [cheers and applause]

Luis played the American national anthem all the way through, and when he finished, the room was dead silent. when we say that America stands as a symbol to the world, a symbol of freedom and a symbol of hope, that is what Luis meant and that is what Luis displayed that day. it was a big day. it was a great day. and that is what we will all remain. that was a very important moment, just like this is now for Cuba, a very important moment. [cheers and applause]

America will always stand for liberty and America will always pray and cheer for the freedom of the Cuban people. now, that little boy, whose story i just told you, the one who played that violin so beautifully so many years ago is here with us today if our very, very packed and extremely warm auditorium. of course, he's no longer a little boy but a world-renowned violinist and conductor, the greats. and once again he will play his violin and fill the hearts of all who love and cherish Cuba, the United States and freedom. [cheers and applause] i would like to now invite Luis to the stage. Luis. [cheers and applause] [playing "the star-spangled banner"] (music) [cheers and applause] [chanting "U.S.a."]

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029213825#post1
That dude playing the violin literally made the dog jump up and run around the house.
Sound asleep, until Louis started playing, and the beagle went nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies