Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 04:32 PM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this further indicts Yanez. Castile was polite and even-toned and respectful.

"Do you have your license and insurance?"
"Sir, I have to tell you I do have a firearm on me."
"Okay, don't reach for it then."
"Don't pull it out."
"I'm not pulling it out."
"Don't pull it out."

Shots fired.

HE WAS COMPLYING.

For all those saying he should have complied, he did. And he was quick to reassure the cop that he wasn't pulling it out and the cop was quick to shoot him.

This is sickening to hear.
Agreed. Yanez had other alternatives besides firing multiple rounds into Castile mere seconds after Castile politely informed Yanez that he had a gun. Why would Castile tell Yanez he had a gun if he intended to shoot Yanez? Add in the fact that there was a passenger and a small child in the car, and it adds up to Yanez over reacting is a spectacular way. Yanez certainly needed to be on alert, but he went from 0 to crazy in seconds.

I found the video to be incredibly disturbing.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
You guys are insane, saying that this video indefinitely shows the proof one way or another. It still doesn't show what is happening inside the car.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
You guys are insane, saying that this video indefinitely shows the proof one way or another. It still doesn't show what is happening inside the car.

I was waiting for someone to either post this - or to say he was on weed so he wasn't reacting quickly enough.

WTH do you think was happening in the car given the conversation?!!

You WANT this to be a case of the driver screwing up causing his own death SO BADLY that you're letting your imagination run wild.

Yeah, he said, "I'm not reaching for it" as he pulled the gun out of his pocket.

The video confirms that what his girlfriend said after she started taping matched up with the conversation we heard.

The cop had inconsistent stories when he called into his supervisor.

The cop looked nuts with the way he reacted.

If you can't connect the dots properly, that's an issue on your end, not anything we saw or didn't see in the video.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
No it doesn't.

Personally, I think when Castile informed Yanez that he had a gun on him that put Yanez on such a heightened alert that Castile was going to be subject to a rough exchange (maybe not pull his gun and shoot but scream/things get physical) no matter what he did. Just my opinion and of course speculation.

So while nobody knows what happened in that second my gut still says a panic killing by Yanez.

This also illustrates what juries are comfortable with in letting cops walk when it comes to the use of force laws. I'm not too thrilled with the leeway but that moment when Yanez pulls his weapon we can't see what Castile is doing though all circumstantial evidence here points to him complying.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:06 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Cops are like feral, rabid dogs. No matter what you do, some of them are going to try to kill and injure you. The only way to be safe around cops is to avoid all contact with them or be ready to preemptively shoot to defend yourself. I think it is completely rational at this point to assume that all cops are dangerous and to fear for your life anytime one is nearby.

Here lies the problem not only this case, but all over the country. This resent to law enforcement is dangerous and one can expect law enforcement to use lethal force if the suspect acts in a hostile way.

Freddy Gray, Mike brown were proven to be thugs and right full put down. As a result carreers were lost due to misplace loyalty to thugs.

Your post does not even start with a constructive solution for Citizens and the Local Office.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
You 're right, it does not show what happened in the car.

In my last few posts I said the same. But a longer version.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No it doesn't.

Personally, I think when Castile informed Yanez that he had a gun on him that put Yanez on such a heightened alert that Castile was going to be subject to a rough exchange (maybe not pull his gun and shoot but scream/things get physical) no matter what he did.
Just my opinion and of course speculation.

So while nobody knows what happened in that second my gut still says a panic killing by Yanez.

This also illustrates what juries are comfortable with in letting cops walk when it comes to the use of force laws. I'm not too thrilled with the leeway but that moment when Yanez pulls his weapon we can't see what Castile is doing though all circumstantial evidence here points to him complying.

I completely agree with you. I said early on that if I would have changed anything Castile did, it would be to not mention the gun. (though I don't know what the laws are in his state regarding this)

But here's the thing. Yanez continued with his casual, easy breezy kind of dialogue following that disclosure, giving Castile NO cues of what was really going on. He should have just yelled, 'STOP!!' and all of this could have been avoided. Instead, his reaction made it sound like it was no big deal and then he overreacted, going from 0 to 60, as others have stated.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:08 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Here lies the problem not only this case, but all over the country. This resent to law enforcement is dangerous and one can expect law enforcement to use lethal force if the suspect acts in a hostile way.
This make sense under a tyrannical government.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:13 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
"Excuse me while I whip this out."

Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Here's a link to the dash cam video, story also includes transcript of Yanez interview with investigator

Yanez dash cam tape, case evidence released | KARE11.com

The sound of SEVEN shotgun blasts in that situation was absolutely shocking to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KffbnerH-A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies