Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,734 times

Advertisements

Warning someone is killed in the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7sgZZQ7pw
Just looks likes an execution to me. I don't think the cop woke up that morning meaning to kill anyone, but as soon as Philando calmly reported he had a weapon, the cop looks like he loses all sense of rational thought. Too scared to be a cop, simple as that. Man I feel so bad for that little girl. Even the way he shot into the car... looked like Yosemite Sam scared out of his mind. From what I see on the dash cam vid, it's a really tough sell for me to believe the cop was warranted in his reaction. I mean damn, 1 shot woulda sufficed, and then run from the car, why you gonna have a shootout with a little kid in the back? Aaaaahh this story makes me so sick.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
That dash cam did put somewhat of a different light on it although a badge cam worn by the officer either would have exonerated him or put him in prison. We're left with doubt either way. A cop not suited to be a cop, a bozo carrying a gun when he clearly wasn't suited to, tragedy.
We're losing our ability to function with each other as a society and this is going to become all the more frequent. Oh, to go back to the good old safe days of the wild west.....

Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
They found marijuana and he tested positive for marijuana. If adults want to smoke weed at home I guess I don't really care, but who the heck smokes in front of a 5 year old?
SMH...the hell are you talking about!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Not surprised at all.

Me neither. I am Native American. Racial profiling is "old" news for us. There are many horror stories near reservation border towns. To be fair, it is more common for us near the reservations. Far out-of-state in a community with no Native Americans, the police are generally not as racist to us. But the racial profiling can still happen.

The pattern I have noticed is that when the police get away with it the justification is usually "they feel threatened". So if a cop "feels threatened" then they are allowed to shoot someone.

The inner, self-justifying details of "feeling threatened" really needs to be spelled out explicitly in detail.
There is a plethora of cases out there where police are let off the hook because they "feel threatened", so they should inform the public in all the details of what they mean whey they "feel threatened".

For example, if a black motorist is pulled over and reaches into his pocket to get his wallet with driver's license, do the police "feel threatened" because it might be the black motorist is reaching for a gun (even though it's really for a wallet)?

The concept of "feel threatened" needs to be defined in a public document to enhance the communication process. Perhaps the police should put out a youtube video or public pdf document in the state government's website to really spell it out.

The problem is that when a black motorist is pulled over, he or she may feel that their movement is non-threatening: reaching for a wallet, placing the keys in a compartment, pulling out insurance papers, etc. But a hyper-paranoid cop may shoot because he or she "feels threatened". So the perception of what constitutes making someone "feel threatened" is not the same for the motorist or the cop in these cases. Therefore, the police should really spell it out to avoid problems.

I am just trying to see if the black motorist in this case could have actually done something different to help avoid a conflict. It seems like once the police "feel threatened" then they are license to kill and the county prosecutor will not prosecute them.

Out in Florida I generally did not deal with racial profiling as an older, middle-aged engineer. But when I was younger in my teens and 20s I did a lot in the midwest and Arizona. The only "racial profiling" incident that bothered me was a close call in Florida. I was on a date with my blonde white girlfriend at a Starbucks on the outdoor tables. There was a crowd at sunset, and this white sheriff saw us. I noticed out of the corner of my eye he was standing right behind us for about a minute just staring at us. He went inside and he kept looking at us from the glass door just facing our direction. Then he walked to his patrol car and parked about 20 m closer to us and just stared at us. Finally, someone talked to him and he drove away for I suppose some other incident. I don't see how a casual date with a white girlfriend could possibly make him "feel threatened". All we did was talk about software engineering at her new job. Go figure. Is the lesson "If you are an athletic minority male over 6 feet tall don't go on a date with a petite blonde white woman at Starbucks because the white cop will 'feel threatened'" (LOL)? They need to spell out what they mean by "feel threatened" because it differs radically from the minority population's general perception.

To be fair, not all white cops have been racist to me like that. I sat next to a retired Florida state trooper on a flight and had the best conversation with him about his job and experiences in highway patrol. One of my HS friends from football became a white cop - a real good worker. So I have met good examples of police. It's just that the controversy of "feel threatened" needs to be clarified by them in my opinion for tragedies like this that should not have happened.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:13 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,960 times
A sad, SAD tragedy that never needed to happen. Had the officer not been one who panics over a non LEO having a firearm, this would never have happened.

I carry all the time, concealed carry, open carry... sometimes both in a constitutional carry State where no permit is needed for anyone not prohibited from possessing a firearm. Should I be concerned that a panicky LEO, one who is afraid of a citizen carrying a firearm, could shoot me down, killing me because I am carrying, get pulled over for two brake lights out, then don't follow his panicked commands that do not convey a specific enough message?

I've been disarmed by LEOs on several occasions. I've had other LEOs not concerned about my gun(S) (yes, that's plural for a reason) on me. Only once, back in '85 or '86 has a LEO, a State Trooper, drew down on me, and on that instance my guns weren't even on me, they were in their hard case on the floor of the passenger side of my vehicle. That LEO was responding to seeing my glove box filled with several boxes of 9mm ammo as I was trying to retrieve my insurance & registration. Now those important papers are attached to my visor for easier and safer access.

Do I need to be afraid a LEO will gun me down because he isn't mentally stable or mentally fit to be a LEO and he finds out I'm carrying. I already told you folks that I was harassed for several weeks after walking into the PD of a city I just moved back to in order to inform them that I have at least 2 firearms with me in the vehicle everywhere I go. At the time open carry was legal in my State. As far as I know, in my State we did not have concealed carry permits available in the '80s.

What can be done to PREVENT this type of panicked reaction from a LEO over someone legally carrying? Seriously... let's just call this a tragedy and move on from it. What can we (citizens) do to prevent this type of panicked shooting from a LEO? If the verbal instructions are not concise and clear, "Don't reach for it!" does NOT qualify as clear when Castile clearly stated he wasn't reaching for it (his firearm), what can be done to prevent this? If an officer screams in panic don't (insert whatever command here) so a person sits still with hands at 10 & 2 on the steering wheel, and the citizen who now has a panicked LEO pointing a gun at them just freezes as the LEO is barking orders to do this, do that, don't do this and/or don't do that... should we expect to be gunned down then too?

The problem in this instance wasn't Castile. The problem wasn't him reaching for his seat belt or his wallet. The problem was an officer of the law who clearly wasn't stable enough, wasn't mentally fit to be a LEO who could end up in a potentially stressful situation. So how do we fix this going forward... not just with Officer Yanez but with all LEOs who are or could be mentally unfit for the job? How do we fix this so citizens aren't shot because I'm NOT going to stop carrying my guns to appease panicked LEOs. How do we fix this?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
The problem in this instance wasn't Castile. The problem wasn't him reaching for his seat belt or his wallet. The problem was an officer of the law who clearly wasn't stable enough, wasn't mentally fit to be a LEO who could end up in a potentially stressful situation. So how do we fix this going forward... not just with Officer Yanez but with all LEOs who are or could be mentally unfit for the job? How do we fix this so citizens aren't shot because I'm NOT going to stop carrying my guns to appease panicked LEOs. How do we fix this?
The problem LEOs wont be fixed until the law is changed. Until they stop using certain cases as precedents, they wont narrow the massive leeway that cops are given in these situations. Using special prosecutors for these cases will also change this. The prosecutor in this case overcharged knowing he wasnt going for a conviction. He might have tried to prove that this scenario did not fit the 3 factors of the precedent but threw the case.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:42 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I think he meant "rightfully put down" hes just terribly illiterate. ...
Thanks for the translation, appreciate.

Although still unsure about the 'colloquialism'. Is it customary to speak about 'putting down' people? It'd be pretty friggin' bizarre where I come from. Also sounds like it could be essentially part of the problem if law enforcement officers perceive people that way. Don't think it would be surprising if folks perceive them back as mindlessly menacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The problem LEOs wont be fixed until the law is changed. Until they stop using certain cases as precedents, they wont narrow the massive leeway that cops are given in these situations. Using special prosecutors for these cases will also change this. The prosecutor in this case overcharged knowing he wasnt going for a conviction. He might have tried to prove that this scenario did not fit the 3 factors of the precedent but threw the case.
Agree with much here. If the focus is to be on working towards solution-providing along with identifying possible root or underlying causes, not only do the laws need to change, the minds need to do the same. Posted the following on this thread a long while back:

Too many folks are being harmed & dying full stop. It's long past time to re-evaluate why & attempt to solve, particularly for the more systemic reasons. A good place to start is with the broken 'Broken Windows Theory' of over-policing:

"The broken windows theory is a criminological theory of the norm-setting and signaling effect of urban disorder and vandalism on additional crime and anti-social behavior."

This piece contains more in-depth information & case studies:

Quote:
...Newark’s blue summonses were rooted in the 1980s-era theory known as “Broken Windows,” which argues that maintaining order by policing low-level offenses can prevent more serious crimes.

But in cities where Broken Windows has taken root, there’s little evidence that it’s worked as intended. The theory has instead resulted in what critics say is aggressive over-policing of minority communities, which often creates more problems than it solves. Such practices can strain criminal justice systems, burden impoverished people with fines for minor offenses, and fracture the relationship between police and minorities. It can also lead to tragedy: In New York in 2014, Eric Garner died from a police chokehold after officers approached him for selling loose cigarettes on a street corner.

Today, Newark and other cities have been compelled to re-think their approach to policing. But there are few easy solutions, and no quick way to repair years of distrust between police and the communities they serve. ...
The Problem with "Broken Windows" Policing | Policing the Police | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
SMH...the hell are you talking about!
weed man.. he is talking about the evil weed

Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
Warning someone is killed in the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7sgZZQ7pw
Just looks likes an execution to me. I don't think the cop woke up that morning meaning to kill anyone, but as soon as Philando calmly reported he had a weapon, the cop looks like he loses all sense of rational thought. Too scared to be a cop, simple as that. Man I feel so bad for that little girl. Even the way he shot into the car... looked like Yosemite Sam scared out of his mind. From what I see on the dash cam vid, it's a really tough sell for me to believe the cop was warranted in his reaction. I mean damn, 1 shot woulda sufficed, and then run from the car, why you gonna have a shootout with a little kid in the back? Aaaaahh this story makes me so sick.
could you imagine a fireman being this scared of a fire?

why do these folks become cops if they are so scared?

Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
They found marijuana and he tested positive for marijuana. If adults want to smoke weed at home I guess I don't really care, but who the heck smokes in front of a 5 year old?
You have zero idea how weed works.

It lingers in your system for WEEKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies