Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 04:22 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
"often for minor infractions"=harassment in my eyes. This is what over policing an area is. This is revenue collection. It's amazing that Castile was calm during his final traffic stop. It also calls into question...he was pulled over 49 times and no other cop fired shots at him. I'm assuming he told them about his firearm before and no other cop went into berserker mode. Are you ready to admit this one cop was a jackass?
That cop was a complete 100% jackass and should have been convicted, in my opinion...

But to say he got pulled over 50+ for nothing is completely 100% stupid.....he drove for over 6 years without a license....did you comprehend the post I was responding to?

Are you really saying that in 6 years, in this town, you have pulled someone over 2 times (it was not the same cop every time), both times they did not have a license....then 6 months go by, you see the same person driving....you remember, hey, he did not have a license...so you just keep driving....

Old 06-22-2017, 04:27 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I was LITERALLY in my CCW refresher class the night Philado was killed. It crushed me to my core.

My wife and parents begged me not to carry, becasue they didn't want me to get murdered by a cop "accidentally" after a "misunderstanding" like Philando did. But I refused.

The point is, if any card-carrying NRA member even felt for a SECOND how I feel about second guessing whether or not it's safe for me to carry, they'd be furious. But for me, exercising my 2nd amendment rights feels dangerous at times. Because of police officers like Yanez.
I can't discuss this case at all with my wife. She is already far more afraid of my being shot by a cop than she is of any kind of street crime.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I can't discuss this case at all with my wife. She is already far more afraid of my being shot by a cop than she is of any kind of street crime.
My son is talking about getting his first heater, and I'm scared to death. He's not the type to knuckle under police intimidation, and he's not afraid of cops at all. If they talk rough to him or show him any kind of disrespect, he's gonna respond in kind.

That's why I'd rather him not get a gun. He's gotta understand that he ain't white, and that cops will be much rougher with any black man that isn't servile. If your black and not totally obsequious, you're a threat.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:44 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My son is talking about getting his first heater, and I'm scared to death. He's not the type to knuckle under police intimidation, and he's not afraid of cops at all. If they talk rough to him or show him any kind of disrespect, he's gonna respond in kind.

That's why I'd rather him not get a gun. He's gotta understand that he ain't white, and that cops will be much rougher with any black man that isn't servile. If your black and not totally obsequious, you're a threat.
How many white people have been shot vs. black people by cops yearly yearly?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:46 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:

I'm an older guy, and the rear of my minivan (yeah, driving a minivan) clearly announces that I'm retired military. When I've been pulled over, I've always been asked if I'm the military retiree, so I always have my military ID right with my driver's license. That's about the least dangerous image I can have.

This is pretty much the very same thing my mother advised me when I first entered the military nearly 50 years ago: "Son, always keep your uniform hanging in the back window when you're driving 'cross country so the police will know someone will come looking for you."

Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Right. And if Yanez was such sooooo scared, he could have simply pointed his gun at Castile, instead of firing it. That would have been enough to stop an attack.

another point. what the hell was the other cop supposed to be doing?? why did he not approach from the passenger side to see if castile was actually going for a weapon??

Old 06-22-2017, 04:57 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm an older guy, and the rear of my minivan (yeah, driving a minivan) clearly announces that I'm retired military. When I've been pulled over, I've always been asked if I'm the military retiree, so I always have my military ID right with my driver's license. That's about the least dangerous image I can have.

This is pretty much the very same thing my mother advised me when I first entered the military nearly 50 years ago: "Son, always keep your uniform hanging in the back window when you're driving 'cross country so the police will know someone will come looking for you."

your mother did not raise a fool.......

I'm white but that still does not keep me from having my military license plate proudly displayed.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

Well, I wish him good luck with that.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
For me, convicting Yanez is the best choice out of a bunch of bad alternatives. And it also has the extra benefit of keeping him away from a badge for the rest of his life. Unfortunately, he can probably move and get another law enforcement job as soon as this controversy dies down in a few years.
Unfortunately since he is part of the union, the department will likely have a contract with the union that they will have to rehire him and give him back pay since he was found not guilty. Which means he might not be able to be charged civilly. So we will see him back in St Anthony working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
A policeman with a gun trained on you at close range is telling you not to do something... You continue to move your hand in the direction of your weapon and you expect him/her to believe you're only going to grab your ID just because you said so?
Actually I heard interviews from other cops that said Yanez didnt do what he was trained to do, which was to stand BEHIND the window pillar, not in front of it, to give him a vantage point, especially since he was so jumpy and thought he was going to get shot. He did it all wrong.

Quote:
Another question: why were the police in the area CONSTANTLY pulling over Castile (over 50 times) and he was never arrested after any of those stops on any charge?

Isn't that police harassment? And don't tell me that something was wrong with his car more than 50 fricken times because that's bull.
In any white neighborhoods near any middle class-affluent white neighborhoods there are police that are working hard pulling over minorities for no reason harrassing them in their cars, and are summonsing them relentlessly in order to discourage them from driving through. Any court date that I go to is 90% minorities.
Cops lie to people in order to pull them over, because they KNOW people dont know what to do with the lie. They depend on people being ignorant of the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
That cop was a complete 100% jackass and should have been convicted, in my opinion...

But to say he got pulled over 50+ for nothing is completely 100% stupid.....he drove for over 6 years without a license....did you comprehend the post I was responding to?
So youre saying that Castile was a career criminal based on traffic tickets, and no actual felonies?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Look at this.

The "cop" shot him the moment he said he had a gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3dzffVZAI

This is just... wrong.

I don't normally agree with youngturks, but this time, how can you even defend this officer? I am pro cops, 100%. But if I say Yanez didn't do anything wrong, I'd be lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies