Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
What keeps me going? Well, Trump is a disappointment to put it mildly. His incompetence has made America the laughing stock of the world.

In spite of that, I know that America and its people as a whole are far stronger than one man or even a misguided few. I know that when freedom and liberty are truly threatened, this county WILL UNITE and put down anything or anyone that truly threatens our way of life.

Woe unto anyone that tries to invade our shores take away our democracy. We may have differences of opinion on some issues but let the truth be known, let undeniable fact hit us, as a country, in the face, and you will see unity and rage unmatched to protect our homeland in a bipartisan way you would not believe possible.

Peace out ....

I can recall the exact sentiments coming out through eight years under Obama. The EXACT rhetoric that was touted as being the sole province of right wing nut jobs is now coming from the left in tidal waves. Talk of secession, civil war, martial law, and gunning up getting ready for it all. (sigh) And of course the president cowtowing to other world leaders, disparaging of our allies, and all manner of antics had made us a "laughing stock."

As to unity in the face of outside attack, thi has always been the case in the US. If a foriegn power had tried to invade with intent of conquest during the Civil War, both blue and grey would have united to stop it. We may yet have a chance to prove that. With divisiveness being what it is right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 12:32 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

See how long you will last like that. Dream on, there is more to it than electricity.
You're also forgetting in an event like that, martial law would go into effect and the national Guard would be deployed to police areas and run containment centers...

If you want a long drawn out 3 page essay on my skills and abilities I can certainly list them.

Do the math. I have a pool. Few cubes of chlorine. And the knowledge.

Who would win... a horde of 1000+ armed ruffians and marauders or some funky air?

Highschool level of physics and chemistry... So much for conservatives being ignorant of science...

Old 06-17-2017, 02:26 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You have no idea what I have, don't assume...

Let's put it this way... There's a million dollar coverage/liability insurance policy on the house and the fire department has my address on file... I also have a foam extinguisher that you'd see in a commercial kitchen in what used to be a bedroom.

I'll let you do the math.

Yeah all this stuff you're bragging about won't mean squat when the grid is down and people are starving. The fire department won't give two s***s about you or your house, if they even exist anymore.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:48 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah all this stuff you're bragging about won't mean squat when the grid is down and people are starving. The fire department won't give two s***s about you or your house, if they even exist anymore.
Right over your head Einstein.

Guess you never kept over 10,000 rounds on hand or reloading supplies... it was assumed I don't have enough ammo to hold off a horde. I have other avenues to protect what's mine than with guns. Especially in numbers.

That's why I brag. I'm good. Y'all are doomed.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:29 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I'm not a conservative or a liberal but I have a question. What gets you through these times? Is it the thought of Donald Trump being impeached? Is it the motivation you need to wake up and get out of bed every morning? I see lots of FB rants, pouting, negative vibes, etc. and some of you just don't appear to be doing all that well since Hillary lost the election. It's fair to say that none of you saw this coming. What will you do with yourselves if the people elect him to a 2nd term?
I can only speak for myself.
I don't expect he will win a second term, but that's still very far off in the future. I really don't understand everyone's preoccupation with 2020- a hell of a lot of things will happen between now and then, and we all need to concentrate on today and tomorrow, not spend so much time trying to peer into the fog that's many miles away.

There is a lot that needs to be done in the nation right now. Today. That's what I think about, and next year, when the logjam this year must be cleared away. Our present needs, dangers, and condition won't wait forever before they are addressed.

So, until 2020, I fully accept Trump as my President. I don't like the guy, and don't think he's fit for the job, but he has it, and he represents us all.

I only hope he acts like he represents us all, and, to some extent, I believe he does, or tries to.

He has done some things I agree with already, and I don't see him as a cardboard cut-out; I know he's a real person, just like me, with some genuine emotions, has an intellect, and is trying to do his job as best he can.

I seriously disbelieve he is intent on ruining the United States, or sees the job as his private piggy bank, although I think he may have thought it to be before he actually knew what he was in for.

I do think he has been forced to do the right thing too much, too often since the election. But I also think he is growing slowly into the job, and he is who he is. If it takes a good slapping to bring him around once in a while, then that's what it takes. But every President gets slapped. That's part of the job.

I'm glad he's finally revealing his finances, even if he felt forced to do so. And I don't think he will fire Mueller or Rosenstein, even if he wants to.

I also do not want to see the current investigation lead to impeachment. I've watched both Nixon and Clinton go through that, and the damage it does to the nation afterward is real bad and lingers on a long time after it ends, no matter what the outcome is. Most of all, I know how slowly these investigations go. I think it's too hot right now; and from past experience, I know it only grows hotter as it goes along.

Impatience to reach a conclusion is very dangerous. The investigation won't go away, it won't quit, and it will only move so fast. Things will escalate late in the game, after the facts are uncovered and collected, but I think we need to keep as cool as possible right now and pay more attention to everything else that's going on here in the nation and around the world.

The Clinton investigation led to a great rush for judgement that led to a collapse of the Republican party afterward, and though I'm liberal, I'm old enough to know that the United States needs 2 strong parties to function.

When one party gets too much power, things start to go rotten lickety-split. Each party needs to be tested continually by the other. It's like a goldfish and a goldfish bowl. One is useless without the other.

So, I hope the best for Trump. He's in the saddle for the next 3 1/2 years, and it's going to be a rough ride for us all, but he has the reins and his horse is pulling our wagon.

I don't want him to dump any of us off, or especially him. A rough ride is still a lot better than walking back home on a broken leg. it can be a mighty long walk back to the house.

Last edited by banjomike; 06-17-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 08:16 PM

810 posts, read 667,522 times
Really don't know how some of you find the strength to roll out of bed in the morning!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
How do we go on? Really?

I get up, I go to work. I post here while waiting for things to finish executing on the servers. I go home tomy loving wife, eat dinner, work on some contract work or my own projects, go to bed. Repeat.

Weekends vary, but are generally about work.

Basically I work hard to help support those layabouts in the red taker states
When did Illinois become a red state?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I'm not a conservative or a liberal but I have a question. What gets you through these times? Is it the thought of Donald Trump being impeached? Is it the motivation you need to wake up and get out of bed every morning? I see lots of FB rants, pouting, negative vibes, etc. and some of you just don't appear to be doing all that well since Hillary lost the election. It's fair to say that none of you saw this coming. What will you do with yourselves if the people elect him to a 2nd term?
As much as Trump repulses me, his presidency has had no effect (good or bad) on my life. Of course I was lucky enough to be born a white male in the US, so it's not like I have anything to worry about. I don't have any family or friends here on Visas or anything like that.

But it can be a little much when you live with two family members who are into the whole globalist thing. Sometimes I can hear Alex Jones's grating voice, or similar characters playing from their tablets.

So when I'm not working I'm usually holed up in my bedroom working on an AS degree in computers. Hopefully one day I'll be working in a cool and clean office or data center doing networking or systems admin related stuff. That's what keeps me going.

And I'm saving for a cargo van that I can convert into a weekend camper. That way when things get a little heavy around here, I can hop in that van and head out to Venice Beach! Escape this hot and humid monsoon weather. That cool Pacific Ocean sounds pretty good about now.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My Hasbro (makers of play doh) stock is up again today.

That's a 35% increase since Election Day.

Take from that what you will.
You toads can't even see the value of Play Dough? You are a different species from me. I played with play dough as a small kid. I loved the stuff. Had an easy bake oven as well. I suppose the toads on the right will criticize that as well. Did it ever occur to you that people love their kids, and are buying stuff that makes them happy?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:05 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
From recent past history it seems they throw hissy fits, get violent, hurt people, stop traffic, destroy property, and/or get in the fetal position, and suck their thumb, then cry, like on election night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies