Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:12 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sure it does. Others with a gun would be as capable.

Of course, of course. Which is why we see civilian gun owners stopping crime every day and driving the crime rates in their areas to zero

Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Because they didn't listen to Ted Nugent. Besides, they would have needed a rifle with a scope.

But I get the drift. The NRA would have preferred that the entire neighborhood each hit the streets with red or blue hats on (party declaration) and have a nice firefight. This would then cause others elsewhere to buy more guns and ammo and join the org.

America is a sick place. We could have some homegrown terrorists enter a stadium and kill 500 people with long guns and we wouldn't talk about the gun issue. Instead we'd talk about how we should all mourn and talk about that sometime later.

Ironic, for sure.
You're certainly proof that part of America is very sick. You have absolutely no idea what the NRA would have preferred, but have a very twisted liberal fantasy about them.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default The police were very brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sure it does. Others with a gun would be as capable.
Civilians? Both police officers were hurt, one seriously, one with secondary injuries, per the coverage. Either way, a civilian without either police or military training in combat shooting wouldn't be my first choice for coverage in the situation these two police found themselves in. One minute they're having coffee, the next they're drawing their weapons, telling their charges to take cover, & charging into a gunfight with only their sidearms, against a rifle, & then against a sidearm.

Nonetheless, the two police got the job done. They put down the shooter, & then turned to attend to the civilians. I assume that the lightly wounded officer stood his ground & kept an eye on the situation until backup arrived. By all reports, a tremendous job of responding to an unfavorable tactical situation, & keeping the civilians alive.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:20 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Of course, of course. Which is why we see civilian gun owners stopping crime every day and driving the crime rates in their areas to zero
Civilian gun owners DO stop crime every day, the liberal media refuses to report on it 99% of the time.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen

Researcher Reaffirms: At Least 760,000 Defensive Gun Uses a Year - Breitbart
Defensive Gun Use Is Not a Myth - POLITICO Magazine
https://www.nap.edu/read/10881/chapter/7#103

The lowest estimates are 100,000 defensive uses of firearms per year, that is stopping crimes every day.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
I covered that.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why did none of the GOP, spouses, & lobbyists at the ball park have a gun handy?
This post perfectly illustrates the ignorance and blind hatred of the LWLT folks. God have mercy on you.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
I think the point of the OP was that we always hear about now the right to carry a gun would stop this sort of thing because people would shoot the bad guy. Now we have a group of 2nd A supporters shot by a crazy, not a bunch of elementary kids or college kids in a no gun place.
You got the intent.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its about the RIGHT to carry a weapon, not the requirement. Trying to bring this topic into play in this way is unseemly.

......and nothing but a troll.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
He wasn't there as a lobbyist. He's been part of that team since he was a Congressional aid. He was a former baseball player who was coaching the team.
He was there not because of his baseball experience -- but because he was a lobbyist at one time.

UGH......

Even the allegation that his association with the team stems from his relationship (as a lobbyist) with the Republicans offends you obviously -- a little too defensive.

He wasn't lobbying on the field but that's what got him to the field.

Lots of ex-baseball players who weren't invited to the field to help the team.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Civilian gun owners DO stop crime every day, the liberal media refuses to report on it 99% of the time.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen

Researcher Reaffirms: At Least 760,000 Defensive Gun Uses a Year - Breitbart
Defensive Gun Use Is Not a Myth - POLITICO Magazine
https://www.nap.edu/read/10881/chapter/7#103

The lowest estimates are 100,000 defensive uses of firearms per year, that is stopping crimes every day.

Two of those are the same guy arguing that all the other researchers that shot holes in his claim are all wrong. As for the rest, other research refutes the claims.

I dont oppose gun ownership, I own 3 myself and am currently in the market for a handgun. But the notion the NRA puts out trying to paint the picture of all these brave NRA dudes thwarting crime in their neighborhoods is largely fantasy BS. If a nitwit grabs his gun because the dog barked , and patrols his backyard with it, he can report he used it in a " defensive use". I had a friend who once creeped through his house repeatedly looking for a bad guy because his security alarm kept going off. He finally figured out that a tall potted plant was swaying every time the AC turned on and setting off the motion sensor. So I guess he used his gun in a defensive situation in his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies