Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 AM

148 posts, read 103,157 times

Advertisements

Pitty how the left has become so intolerant of views different to their own. It seems they are more acceptant of sharia law that conservative views. I don't know how that's possible but it sure seems that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
No my friends are not ignorant, un-American, intolerant or self righteous enough to think they have the right to dictate others political beliefs or votes.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I think it really is a matter of how you express yourself. I do not have an inclination towards spending life with people who pitch tantrums, taunt or insult people whether they share my political leanings or not. And if your answer to someone having a different viewpoint is that they are 'evil,' inherently racist, or not a 'real American' I will move on to people I find more worthy.

I think this last election was so difficult because both candidates presently several flaws. I actually have a conservative friend who wishes Bernie had won the D contest because he does not approve of Trump and could not make himself vote for Hillary. He went Trump in the end but said he could have voted Sanders based on his level of character.

Our problem the last 20 years is that we really have been dealing with some rather flawed candidates. But these last two have to set a record for how poorly they have handled both personal and professional matters. And their tempers... and hubris...

I will say it has been a great run for SNL. Whenever talk turns to politics lately one of my more conservative friends and I have just started joking about the latest SNL or possible SNL interpretations. I usually give people a freebie on of the politics, religion college sports triumvirate otherwise I would have the most boring peer group imaginable.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
I dropped FB "friends" - not because they supported trump(they did) but because they also started openly posting ant-gay, misogynist, and racist things. Interesting that they never did before the campaign.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18436572 View Post
Pitty how the left has become so intolerant of views different to their own. It seems they are more acceptant of sharia law that conservative views. I don't know how that's possible but it sure seems that way.
The right has also become very intolerant of NeverTrumpers. They are more tolerant of white supremacy and neo-nazism than progressive views. For an example, just look at what is happening within the Southern Baptist convention right now.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:23 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Has anybody lost friends in real life over Trump? Either because you support him and your friends don't or you do not support him and your friends do? Where I live, NOT supporting Trump has become quite a social barrier. My Facebook friends list has been clearing out because most articles I post are critical of Trump. I was never political on social media before Trump, but I feel in these times, I need to at least get my thoughts out there. What about you?

It's created some strain because some family and friends don't like Trump and when they ask me, I tell them he's doing a great job and then they get pssed. I never bring up Trump until someone else does because I'm in the minority in supporting Trump and I typically don't bring up controversial topics at work or with friends except with close friends and family.

In only 1 case I have stopped following a friend from High School because she seemed to spend all her free time posting negative things about Trump.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:23 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I dropped FB "friends" - not because they supported trump(they did) but because they also started openly posting ant-gay, misogynist, and racist things. Interesting that they never did before the campaign.
I've dropped some of those people. I have no problem with rational Trump supporters and as I've said, I enjoy conversing with them as long as it stays civil. However, I have much less tolerance for outright bigotry.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Has anybody lost friends in real life over Trump? Either because you support him and your friends don't or you do not support him and your friends do? Where I live, NOT supporting Trump has become quite a social barrier. My Facebook friends list has been clearing out because most articles I post are critical of Trump. I was never political on social media before Trump, but I feel in these times, I need to at least get my thoughts out there. What about you?
Yep. My ex-boss friended me on FB a few years ago - which I never thought was a good idea but whatev. Though I ignored her constant and never ending rants against all things Obama - the minute the election got hot and I posted a few things critical of Trump - she unfriended me. LOL.

Also, one of my family members is an evangelical Christian who totally believes that God is speaking through Trump. I knew she was extremely religious but not bat crazy. I lost so much respect for her.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure if she unfriended me OR if I accidently 'unfriended' when I meant to 'unfollow" her.

Oh well. That's about it.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I haven't unfriended anyone on Facebook yet, but I've come close. Not because they support Trump--I certainly don't mind that at all. Probably 90% of my Facebook friends support Trump, but there are two in particular that post this propaganda-type stuff as well as putting their own comments to it that are mean, derogatory, and well, "unhinged." There's been a few times I've come close to dropping them for THAT reason, but I've just taken a deep breath and moved on.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I can't imagine losing true friends over politics. I have a friend, who is very anti Trump and she has sorta pulled away, but there is more to the story than that. She is also moving out of the area, has only been a friend for a few years and hasn't truly separated herself from me, but we have had some differences because of some of the things she posts on Facebook are probably too political. I do not think social media is the place to iron out political differences and I am guessing, if one loses friends over things on Facebook, maybe the poster should think before posting.

I know even on my email list I use common courtesy and judgement before I send message that could be insulting or too debatable. A little is alright, but there comes a time when it is better to shut up than open up.

Good friends can remain good friends and still have really strong differences. My friends are not based on politics but some, on why they hold the political views they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies