Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Trucks coming from Mexico can drive in any state now. Are you saying Mexico has better standards to meet as far as emissions? Could be, they probably don't have to meet the standards American truckers do.. after all they do have jobs there now and Americans get the shaft because they have no regulations to meet in Mexico.
Mexican trucks have to meet the standards set in the CBTP. And those rules set the same standards for safety as American trucks.

I've been to Nogales many times and seen the ADOT inspections. They're very rigorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 08:11 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Transporting items is a race to the bottom, the margin made on delivery is very small and ruthlessly competitive and it's been this way a long time. Trucking companies undercut each other to get the work for a big company and this is what results.

Smaller trucking companies prefer to have owner operators as employees, meaning they basically shifted their costs to the driver to avoid losing money and liabilities. Unfortunately, some of the truck drivers who sign up for these lease programs as subcontrators often do not understand that as an independent contractor they must put aside large amounts of money they earned for taxes, social security, insurance, truck repairs, fuel and so on. And after one costly accident or setback, it doesn't take long for the driver to figure out he is stuck in this truck lease contract.

Ultimately for the average truck driver, he would be better off as a company driver and not "owning" his leased rig as a subcontractor. No matter what the laws are in this regard, big companies find work arounds.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Taratova is obviously wrong and probably follows prosperity gospel. Jesus said the poor shall inherit the Kingdom. Being rich isn't an outright ban on getting to Heaven, but Biblically it's a worst state than being poor.
No, you are the one who is wrong. The "prosperity Gospel" is also wrong; it's a heresy, but that doesn't mean that Jesus does not want people to live well. The Gospel is about salvation, not about prosperity. Jesus also said, "the poor will always be with us." But he never said it was a blessing to be poor.

And no, being rich is not a worse state than being poor! Where do you get this garbage from?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
SO tell me if you are wealthy would you not love to help the poor and sick? follow Jesus steps? tell me where these wealthy corps are NOT doing exactly that? Loving their money beyond what they could ever spend in a lifetime.
- show me the other side of the coin please-- explain to all of us here, how these the passage does NOT describe those greedy corps. I am waiting--

Ecclesiastes 5:10
Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income.
This too is meaningless.

Proverbs 23:4
Do not weary yourself to gain wealth, Cease from your consideration of it.

Ezekiel 18:8
if he does not lend money on interest or take increase, if he keeps his hand from iniquity and executes true justice between man and man,

Titus 1:7
For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain,

1 Timothy 6:17-18
Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have.

Matt 6:24
Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
I bet I could audit your life and point out tons of situations where your love of material kept you from helping out the helpless. You live like a king compared to billions of people. You could help others all the time, but you CHOOSE NOT TO.

You are no different than these corporations.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The government has a job to keep the air and roads safe. Public safety comes before big box retail profits.

I know that makes right wing heads explode, but it's simple common sense to the rest of us.

Anyway, put the pieces of your head back together and use some common sense.
I am a libertarian. I am well aware of what the government's job should be.

Let's see if I can make you eat this crow.

1. If those trucks were such big polluters, why not banning them across the state? What's the point of not allowing them to enter the harbor? That makes no sense at all.

2. If they really want to go after the polluters, you know whom they should go after? The freaking cargo ships!!! Compared to those cargo ships, pollution from the trucks is like a fart in the hurricane.

Now go defend your beloved government again.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
SO tell me if you are wealthy would you not love to help the poor and sick? follow Jesus steps? tell me where these wealthy corps are NOT doing exactly that? Loving their money beyond what they could ever spend in a lifetime.
- show me the other side of the coin please-- explain to all of us here, how these the passage does NOT describe those greedy corps. I am waiting--

Ecclesiastes 5:10
Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income.
This too is meaningless.

Proverbs 23:4
Do not weary yourself to gain wealth, Cease from your consideration of it.

Ezekiel 18:8
if he does not lend money on interest or take increase, if he keeps his hand from iniquity and executes true justice between man and man,

Titus 1:7
For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain,

1 Timothy 6:17-18
Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have.

Matt 6:24
Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Being in a state of contentment is gain for the soul..Put God first in ones life and all things will be added to you.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 AM

This thread is filled with hypocrites who go out and buy the cheapest product they can regardless of where it comes from. They would quickly say it's someone else's responsibility to make sure it's not made by someone paid pennies for a day's work, when they know what people make in those countries.

How many of you are using iPhones after reading all the stories of suicides at the facility they are made?

I bet you feel so superior taking such noble stands on Internet forums before heading out to these retailers and buying something made by practically slave labor.

How brace of you all to have your little tantrums and just go about your little days consuming these evil products.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:21 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I bet I could audit your life and point out tons of situations where your love of material kept you from helping out the helpless. You live like a king compared to billions of people. You could help others all the time, but you CHOOSE NOT TO.

You are no different than these corporations.
You know nothing about me- i won't even do a yard sale- I give it away- and I live a modest life- as its only me- paying the bills- your accusation has no facts- just something to shoot the messenger- as I posted what JESUS said---

Old 07-02-2017, 08:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No, increase in prosperity does not keep one from heaven.. The poor you will always have with you because of greedy people. Lazy people become poor.

The righteous will inherit the kingdom. The unrighteous will not. It is not rich or poor.
Exactly. I don't know where these people come up with this garbage.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
You know nothing about me- i won't even do a yard sale- I give it away- and I live a modest life- as its only me- paying the bills- your accusation has no facts- just something to shoot the messenger- as I posted what JESUS said---
Do you own a mobile phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies